PDA

View Full Version : The snarky thing I did to a bride today!

puff pastry
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
So one of my friends is getting married and hand-delivered her wedding invitation to me when we were both at another friend's wedding (to save on postage costs). Huge, ornate, intricate, heavy invitation with golden words. Four golden words stood out to me "No boxed gifts please". Yeah, yeah, I know they want money. But instead, I got them a $50 charity giftcard that they can donate to any charity of their choice. Why do I feel so smug and snarky!!??

mommylamb
06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't blame you. I think it's tacky to say no boxed gifts.

wellyes
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm cool with that too. "No boxed gifts" hmph.

puff pastry
06-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't know why this irks me so much but it just does. The wedding website has a little blurb about how the couple is just glad that to have the presence of their friends and family at their wedding so they haven't registered for gifts anywhere. Then the next sentence is "no boxed gifts please". So, the wedding is a month away and I got the charity giftcard for them yesterday and sent them an email to the effect of "in honor of your upcoming union, our family has sent you a charity giftcard that you can donate to any charity of your choice". I was expecting some type of perfunctory thank you reply. Instead, what to I receive in my inbox this morning?? A blast group email from the couple addressing "gift registry and other wedding-related items"... "There have been a lot of questions about gift registry. We don't have one (since we already have a house filled with everything we need) so we would appreciate gift cards or money toward our house instead." (Sidenote: the groom's extremely wealthy parents bought him a $600K condo which she and he have lived together in for the past 3 years.)

Ummmmm.... does she expect me to now run out and get her another giftcard and/or a check towards their house now that she's put it in plain language that they want cold hard cash??

karstmama
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
um, you don't get to dictate what you will accept as a GIFT! even registries are just suggestions.

love the charity card idea! heh heh heh...

hellokitty
06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
"No Boxed Gifts???" I have never seen anyone put that on their invitation before. Talk about tacky! As if you can really dictate what ppl should give you as a gift. :nono:

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
They are being unbelievably tacky especially by sending up that follow up email to everyone.

Beth

puff pastry
06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
BTW, I just checked their wedding website and they've changed the registry section to "We're kindly requestion no boxed gifts and would prefer gift cards and money towards our house instead." The worst part is that this couple is super stingy and ungenerous with their own money (even though they both have wealthy parents who pay for everything). Grrrr.

Fairy
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Bride/Groomszilla. Tacky beyond the pale. I say no, you leave it at the charity and that's that. Seirously? Unreal.

wellyes
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
"There have been a lot of questions about gift registry. We don't have one (since we already have a house filled with everything we need) so we would appreciate gift cards or money toward our house instead."

I hope there was at least SOME mention of them "appreciating" that people will come celebrate their wedding with them, instead of all gimme gimme gimme talk.

salsah
06-04-2010, 05:46 PM
tacky! both the original request and the follow up email are just tacky! we didn't even include our registry info on our invitations.

puff pastry
06-05-2010, 11:37 PM
So I waited a day to get some sort of acknowledgement of my email regarding the charity giftcard and after no reply I replied to her blast email about the registry. I said I'm sorry that the charity giftcard wasn't what you were looking for because I got it before you updated your wedding website asking for cash and giftcards. She responded by saying that my gift was "fine" and they already contribute a "decent amount" to charity.

bridechilla
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
How tacky! I thought weddings were about marriage, not about gifts! Gross.

resipsaloquitur
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Why are you friends with this girl?????

take_the_reins
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Ok, I'm new, and at risk of lash back...we were thinking of requesting something similar...we are travelling 9 hours by car to our wedding destination and we are worried about trying to pack stuff back with us (we are going to be pretty full already with kids and the dog and misc wedding stuff)...is this in really bad taste to request monetary or gift cards instead of boxed gifts?

edurnemk
05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
She responded by saying that my gift was "fine" and they already contribute a "decent amount" to charity.

Uh? How rude!

Why are you friends with this girl?????

:yeahthat:

I've had a few friends who included something along the lines of "since the bride and groom will be residing abroad, they'd appreciate gifts in cash instead of boxed gifts" in their invitation. And in that particular case I think it's fine (I can understand not wanting to travel to another country with all the gifts).

In this case, it's tacky and even rude (their emails).

bubbaray
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
This is an old thread that has been resurrected AND it is in Bridal Bargains, not Baby Bargains (for those of us who view from "new posts").

gemj83
06-26-2011, 05:00 PM
To me it sounds like they just went about it kind of wrong.. my fiancee and I have been together for five years, own a home and everything... We're also getting married in NY but we live in VA, and the idea of traveling with boxed gifts, while well intentioned from the guests, is a bit much. I full intend on asking for no boxed gifts, but hopefully with a bit more finesse than your friend..

It was rude and ungrateful of the bride to say your gift was "fine" however. At the same time, you did give a gift out of snarkiness also, so maybe she understood that..

AggieBride
05-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Seriously. I think the mere fact that the couple asked for money is so beyond tacky that there isn't even a word for it. I would totally feel justified in how you feel and in what you did.

You should be grateful for anything you receive as a wedding gift! I know right now I am registering at a few places, and while yes, I would love to get a few of those things, I would just be tinkled bottomed pink to get anything at all!

It just amazes me how selfish people really are these days. :nodno: