PDA

View Full Version : Stupid thing to worry about

smcdonald2
06-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Does anyone else panic when they have days that they don't feel pregnant?

This is really dumb, but I've finally gotten past the first trimester nausea and my ultrasound isn't for two more weeks. I've felt a few tiny flutters of movement, but not like real "HELLO BABY" movements.

And every now and then, I have this nagging feeling like, what if I'm not really pregnant? What if I'm just fat, and the three pregnancy tests and early ultrasound were wrong, and this is all a HOAX?!?!

See, this is what happens when you take wine away from a woman when she needs it most.

lizzywednesday
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I think you're over-thinking it.

Once my morning sickness ended, I was thankful for feeling like myself again, pregnant or not.

I felt so good that I:
* went to the 3rd-to-last concert at Giants Stadium (Bruuuuuuuce!) at 17 wks
* walked in a charity 2-day at 18 weeks
* ran errands and kept cooking (except chicken; gah!)
* hosted my family for a pre-Christmas-Christmas-get-together at 30 weeks (and shopped & cooked for it)

However, I must say that the only time I got a little spooked was after talking with my docs who insisted I should call if I didn't feel the baby move every X number of hours. Which I could've told them was baloney anyway because she had her own ideas on what was her movement cycle - she was very active in the mornings, after I ate and then on my drive home, but not so much at other times of day - but I got spooked anyway.

If you're concerned about your baby moving, try playing Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". It was one of DD's favorites while in utero. So was Rush. As in the Canadian "nerd-rock" band, Rush.

No, I am not making that up.

wellyes
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I remember that feeling. It's normal. No worries, you'll be completely UNABLE to think you're not pregnant before long (she says as she winces from another hard kick right to her bladder.....)

AshleyAnn
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I felt that way too. I didn't have any m/s and few other symptoms so I kept thinking surely its all a joke. Soon enough your baby will be kicking the crap out of your bladder and you'll know someone is in there for sure.

PearlsMom
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Even with continuing m/s, I still worried that something had gone wrong! I don't think it's a stupid worry at all -- once your kid is born, you won't go for weeks without seeing him, right??

Anyway, for Christmas (I was around 12 or 13 weeks?) I got a handheld doppler, just like the one at the doctors' office. Got it on Amazon; you can't get them without a prescription in some states. Anyway, I liked to check in to hear baby's HB for a few seconds two or three times a week. It gave me something concrete to hold on to and was really reassuring. And then once I could feel him moving regularly, I stopped with the doppler because I felt I could "check in" on him just be feeling him move.

ewpmsw
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't think it's a stupid concern, although I do agree that you might be overthinking it. I think it's a really common concern we can't completely avoid. You're growing a person in there - Of course you're going to be concerned about his or her progress, movement, etc. Part of motherhood is being tuned in to what is happening in there. It's a fun part of pregnancy and and anxiety-provoking one. The sad stories and cautionary tales we hear before, during and after pregnancy probably don't help. There's a heartbreaking one from my own family that has hung over me during both pregnancies. I have to acknowledge it's a concern, be grateful that everything seems to be okay so far and just take it day by day.

Lizzywednesay, I love your response and wish I had as much energy as you!

newg
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I kinda felt the same way at the beginning of the second trimester. I felt DD move right around 16 weeks (flutters and such), so I was expecting this second time to feel things even sooner. Well I really didn't start to feel movements until almost 20 weeks and I was getting really worried...........but the ultrasound tech said my placenta was really thick in front this time, and she was facing head down/back out......so all her movements were internal.
I also had a lot of gas in the beginning, so what may have been flutters I thought was just another gas bubble in my stomach.
Now she won't stop moving!!

I'm sure you are just fine!!

lizzywednesday
06-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Lizzywednesay, I love your response and wish I had as much energy as you!

I should be so lucky with my next pregnancy!

BeccaB.
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I remember that feeling. It's normal. No worries, you'll be completely UNABLE to think you're not pregnant before long (she says as she winces from another hard kick right to her bladder.....)

:yeahthat: