PDA

View Full Version : Do little girls still wear undershirts/camisoles?

Minnifer
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Title says it all. And if they do, up until what age, roughly? I know it's kind of a dumb question - way back when I was a kid ;), we wore them, but I just don't know what's "done" these days. TIA!

cono0507
06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
My DD is almost 3. We started having her wear camisole type cotton top this winter for an extra layer of warmth but we skip them when it isn't cold out. We do the same for DS- he wears cotton undershirts in the winter also.

boolady
06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
DD does in really cold weather...like Dec/Jan/Feb/March, but not every day, usually only if she's just wearing a single shirt on top. If she's wearing any type of layers, I usually skip the undershirt.

newg
06-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I started DD wearing a little cami/undershirt this winter as an extra layer (as pp mentioned)......but stopped for the summer. Sometimes I'll put one on her if it's going to be a chilly day.
I'll probably start again this fall.

wellyes
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I think a lot more people put undershirts on boys than girls.
No idea why.

I don't use them for DD. We layer when it's cold out but I don't own formal camis for her.

citymama
06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Mine does. She used to wear the short sleeved Petit Bateau undershirts from around 2-3, and has been wearing Hanna camis starting at about 3, when she decided that all she wants to wear are dresses. We live in a climate that's cool year round, so she wears them almost daily except on the hottest days.

salsah
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I think a lot more people put undershirts on boys than girls.
No idea why.

because girls are more likely to wear clothes with larger neck openings and an undershirt that shows ruins the look. (where as boys usually wear t-shirts or button down shirts and even if the undershirt shows, it isn't likely that it will look bad.) at least that is why i insist on camis not undershirts. camis don't usually show. but we skip them during the summer. partially because of the weather but also because they are more likely to wear open sundresses (even a cami would show).
don't most men wear undershirts and most women do not? i'm guessing it is for the same reason.

fivi2
06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Just wondering, why do they wear camisoles? Just for warmth? I never did growing up, and it has never crossed my mind to put my girls in one?

Nooknookmom
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
As a kid, my mom was lucky to get just a shirt on me.

In the wintertime I do put DD2 in a tank under her long-sleeved tee, if it is cold enough.

Never figured out the camilsole thing, I hate wearing a bra, so wearing more stuff under my shirt is not going to happen.

wellyes
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
don't most men wear undershirts and most women do not? i'm guessing it is for the same reasonI thought most men stopped wearing undershirts around the same time as that Clark Gable movie where he took off his shirt to show a bare chest and the women swooned......

I at least get the theory behind undershirts. It's like underwear for your top half, a layer between stinky armpits and your shirt in the pre-deodorant days. Camis I don't get at all (unless it is part of a look).

newg
06-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I guess I started doing camis for DD in the winter because I felt like they hugged her body a little tighter, so they helped in keeping her warmer. She doesn't like alot of layers, but I can a cami on her under a long sleeve T.
I typically wear a cami under a shirt....or layer shirts, in the winter to stay warm.

Dr C
06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Typically around here I don't see a lot of girls in camis. Honestly it never occurred to me to put DD in one once she gets older. But we live in a warm climate.
Ironically I wear a cami under my clothes almost every day... but it's a nursing cami. I'll get DD some when the time comes--hopefully a LONG LONG time from now... ;-)

HIU8
06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Mine wears a cami type undershirt in the late fall probably until about springtime as an extra layer of warmth. DS was wearing an undershirt, but started refusing to and I just let it go.

salsah
06-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Just wondering, why do they wear camisoles? Just for warmth? I never did growing up, and it has never crossed my mind to put my girls in one?

i have them wear one just for an extra layer of warmth (only when it is cold). my girls think of it as underwear so it stays on. whereas any other extra layer (shirt/sweater/sweatshirt/coat) is considered optional and likely to come off.

i like camis instead of any other type of undershirt because it is less likely to show.

i never wear one myself.

salsah
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Typically around here I don't see a lot of girls in camis.

just curious, how do you know that they aren't wearing one under their clothes?

mshen
06-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I thought most men stopped wearing undershirts around the same time as that Clark Gable movie where he took off his shirt to show a bare chest and the women swooned......

ROFL
Neither DH nor I wear undershirt/cami, so none of my children do.
I have a friend who buys expensive cute clothes for her DD, then puts Gerber or some other cheap undershirt on underneath. The undershirt is usually faded or very pilled, basically doesn't look good, and sometimes you can see it underneath the nice shirt. I always thought it distracts from the beauty of the nice shirt, and the nice shirt never sit right on the little girl. So that just reinforced my belief of not putting undershirt on my DD.
Though of course I also have a friend who buys Hanna undershirts for her kids, and it always look fine. It still didn't make me want to put undershirts on my kids. :)

Bottom line, if you are going to do it, buy nice spendy undershirts. :)
________
Free gift card (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/)

Beth24
06-05-2010, 02:11 AM
My daughter has been wearing PB camis since she was a toddler. When she was younger she was very sensitive and it worked well go have a nice soft layer under her clothes. She just didn't like the way her clothes felt without it. She is 7 now, and still wears them. Sometimes for comfort, warmth and/or modesty if the shirt has a deep neckline or large arm holes.

citymama
06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Bottom line, if you are going to do it, buy nice spendy undershirts. :)

Lol, Dd wears nice (would be spendy but I buy on major markdown only) Hanna camis under her nice Hanna clothes! It's usually just to provide an extra layer of warmth on cooler days, esp since she refuses to wear a jacket.

Gena
06-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I thought most men stopped wearing undershirts around the same time as that Clark Gable movie where he took off his shirt to show a bare chest and the women swooned......

I at least get the theory behind undershirts. It's like underwear for your top half, a layer between stinky armpits and your shirt in the pre-deodorant days. Camis I don't get at all (unless it is part of a look).

DH wears undershirts most of the time. Sometimes short sleeve ones, but more often A-shirts.

I frequently wear camis, especially to work. I don't like when you can see my bra lines under my blouse, so I prefer the smoother look a cami provides.

DS wears undershirts under polos and dress shirts because the undershirt is softer and therefore doesn't irritate him.

lenad
06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
My dd is 5.5yo and I just got her some new camis from Petit Bateau (*loved* her HA camis but we live in the UK now and getting them is just too complicated).

She has worn them since she stopped wearing onesies, when she was potty trained. How long will she wear them? As long as I think they are useful (and hopefully she'll listen to me).

Camisoles are much better for girls than udnershirts because they are more open on the top, so they can't be seen under clothes. She wears them at temps below mid-70s.

My DH wears undershirts, and I wear camis. In the US though, I didn't wear them. It was warmer inside and colder outside, so I had just a few layers on, the outer layers being very warm. In a climate like England's, and much colder inside temps, one needs to really layer, so camis are super useful.

tarahsolazy
06-06-2010, 05:35 AM
I put DD in tank style undershirts from Fruit of the Loom in the winter, for warmth and to protect her tummy from hangin in the breeze. In the summer, never.

I wear camis from Shade quite often, I like the extra layer I can tuck into my pants or skirt, since I rarely tuck shirts in. Keeps my belly covered, which I like.