PDA

View Full Version : New Lego Minifigures

alien_host
06-04-2010, 11:27 PM
So who is collecting these? http://minifigures.lego.com/en-US/Default.aspx

I can't believe Lego hasn't done is sooner. What a brilliant marketing move. Reminds me of the "bubble gum cards" back in the 70s.

Here the Lego store is limiting 5 to a customer, which I think seems fair since they are flying off the shelves. I've been to the Lego store 3 times this week (two different ones, one was sold out) ;) I'm having flashbacks to when I collected Beanie Babies in the 90s...did I just say that? ;)

$1.99 each/16 different "surprise" figures.

DD loves minifigures and is having a blast with them.

So who else is stalking the Lego store like I am? The Lego Store employee told me TRU was selling them but I couldn't find them there. I also checked Walmart with no success.

Any other minifigure sightings?

katydid1971
06-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Cute but why are the only two girls a nurse and a cheerleader. Why not call the medical female a doctor and make the sports one a soccer player. I don't really like the way they illustrated the cheerleader. Other than that they are pretty cute.

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Curse you. I have a collection problem. :) If there is a collection then I want them! I bought 5 online last night + one of the Lego games I have been wanting to buy. Thankfully there is no Lego store nearby and I can't justify the shipping charges again. But, I will suggest them to other people if they are looking for gift ideas. :) I may have to check TRU...

Beth

hellokitty
06-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Cute! I would get them, except that my kids dismember their lego minifigures and all the parts get all screwed up. DS2 is Dr. Frankenstein and treats his like they are Mr. Potato heads, they look pretty crazy.

crl
06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Thankfully ds has not discovered those. We already have go gos. Don't need another choking hazard collection in my house.

Catherine

egoldber
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
As a former manufacturing person, I am amused at how they have totally re-used existing plastic molds. That caveman is totally the old Hagrid from the HP lego sets. And I am pretty sure that cowboy is Indiana Jones. I think the skateboard kid is HP and maybe the nurse is Princess Leia? :ROTFLMAO:

s7714
06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
As a former manufacturing person, I am amused at how they have totally re-used existing plastic molds. That caveman is totally the old Hagrid from the HP lego sets. And I am pretty sure that cowboy is Indiana Jones. I think the skateboard kid is HP and maybe the nurse is Princess Leia? :ROTFLMAO:

Too funny! I was just looking at a Indiana Jones set yesterday in Target. I'm pretty sure the cowboy and ninja minifigures are almost identical to the Indiana Jones and sword fighter guy in that set, LOL!

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Too funny! I was just looking at a Indiana Jones set yesterday in Target. I'm pretty sure the cowboy and ninja minifigures are almost identical to the Indiana Jones and sword fighter guy in that set, LOL!

Yep, I thought that too. But, I'll play the odds and see if I get someone cool, like the cheerleader. :)

Beth

Seitvonzu
06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
these remind me of re-ment food --tiny little food sets from japan-- that come in a mystery box. what a GREAT marketing strategy (until you get 4 sets of strawberry shortcake when you really want a cupcake making set ;)

these are cute... we aren't even into lego around here (my child's under three) but we love little figures! fun :)

alien_host
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Cute but why are the only two girls a nurse and a cheerleader. Why not call the medical female a doctor and make the sports one a soccer player. I don't really like the way they illustrated the cheerleader. Other than that they are pretty cute.

I have to say Lego is not good at catering to girls...they have very few "girl" themes, not that it bothers my DD who loves Toy Story and the City sets...but it would be nice if they had some other themes for girls (the Bellville or whatever it is called is totally LAME)! Clearly Lego is run by men...

Total do-overs! The diver is from a City set. My favorites are the clown and the crash test dummy...still hunting down the dummy.

ETA: we did get the skateboarder and it looks like the "Max" figure. That's a fun one too. Here is Max: http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=852856&cmp=afc-csena&hqs=852856 and here is the skater http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Bios/Skater.aspx...ok the hair color is different as is the smile but basically the same figure.

geochick
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Just checked TRU. They don't have any, but said I should check on Wednesday because my store will be getting a big Lego shipment on Wed. They said they've had a million calls about mini figs.

Momof3Labs
06-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Drat you, OP. I don't know if DS1 would care about these but *I* like them!! Adding the lego store to the list of things to do tomorrow...

baileygirl
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks OP! I saw the minifigures advertised, but didn't really think much of them. Now I am going to the lego store to pick up some. DS LOVES minifigures.

alien_host
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry if I got anyone started on these... ;)

And if you are going to check out your Lego store, it's worth calling first to ask since one of the stores here was still waiting for their shipment.

vonfirmath
06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Honestly, as a girl growing up who was WAY into Lego -- I didn't go toward the "pink" Lego sets. I went toward the realistic ones.

Our earliest sets were the Bathroom and Kitchen (definitely geared toward girls, not boys) but after that, it was a fire station, Space theme sets, etc. Sets that any girl or boy could enjoy.

KrisM
06-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Honestly, as a girl growing up who was WAY into Lego -- I didn't go toward the "pink" Lego sets. I went toward the realistic ones.

Our earliest sets were the Bathroom and Kitchen (definitely geared toward girls, not boys) but after that, it was a fire station, Space theme sets, etc. Sets that any girl or boy could enjoy.

But, it's realistic to have a woman doctor. They don't have to be pink, just not so "traditional" girl thing.

Now why can I only buy 5 per household? Why not let me buy enough to possibly get them all? How long do I have to wait between orders before I can order again?

Fairy
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
What did I ever do to you, OP?! Thanks alot, dude! ::: schedules time tomorrow to run to Lego store ... dammit :::

baileygirl
06-06-2010, 01:57 AM
I stopped off at the lego store this evening. They were out...but they did let me place an order to have some (5) shipped to me, with no shipping costs. So, that is also an option if your lego store doesn't have them.

pakin
06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
We stopped at Borders to buy a book today. They have the Lego minifigures at the checkout counter. They are $2.99 each though. I bought two-- we got a ninja and a skateboarder. DS really likes them.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

alien_host
06-25-2010, 10:03 AM
We stopped at Borders to buy a book today. They have the Lego minifigures at the checkout counter. They are $2.99 each though. I bought two-- we got a ninja and a skateboarder. DS really likes them.

I have to say it kind of bugs me that Border's and TRU are selling them at a higher price.

I mean $2.99 is 50% more than $1.99....and TRU is supposedly selling them for $2.49....

At Newbury Comics they had them for $4.99! Crazy!

vonfirmath
06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I have to say it kind of bugs me that Border's and TRU are selling them at a higher price.

I mean $2.99 is 50% more than $1.99....and TRU is supposedly selling them for $2.49....

At Newbury Comics they had them for $4.99! Crazy!

Shipping from the Lego store is crazy too.

alien_host
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Shipping from the Lego store is crazy too.

I know, I'm fortunate to have a Lego store nearby, but it stinks for people who don't have the Lego store and either have to pay inflated prices or shipping from lego.com. I hate shipping charges ;)

MrsZaz
06-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I bought two at Borders as a surprise treat on my DS's birthday (one for him/one for his brother). I love Love Love the idea - until I got a scuba diver and the cheerleader. My DS2 was NOT pleased.

Colleen

billysmommy
06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Our Lego store had their 2nd shipment ~2 weeks ago and while I was talking to the salespeople they said they expect this was their last shipment of this series of the mini-figures and that the 2nd set will probably be coming out late summer/early fall.

They did say there would definitely be a 3rd series and maybe a 4th but that these would not have the separate barcodes on the back that differentiate which figure is inside :(

MolieMuts
06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
I bought two at Borders as a surprise treat on my DS's birthday (one for him/one for his brother). I love Love Love the idea - until I got a scuba diver and the cheerleader. My DS2 was NOT pleased.

Colleen

I made the mistake of showing DS1 the minifigs. He already told me that if he gets the cheerleader that he would give it away.

We have a Lego store opening up in the mall this summer. I am kind of excited and kind of not so excited...

alien_host
06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Colleen

I have a DD and we love the cheerleader! I guess that's why there are only two female figures.

alien_host
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Our Lego store had their 2nd shipment ~2 weeks ago and while I was talking to the salespeople they said they expect this was their last shipment of this series of the mini-figures and that the 2nd set will probably be coming out late summer/early fall.

They did say there would definitely be a 3rd series and maybe a 4th but that these would not have the separate barcodes on the back that differentiate which figure is inside :(

I figured out the bar code thing too after buying 10 figures. I have to admit :bag that I've managed to find all 16...it took a lot of work and many trips to the Lego store.

I can't believe series 2 is coming out so soon. I found a link online to the pictures...more fun ones. http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8684_Minifigures_Series_2

At one Lego store by us the sales lady yelled at me for looking over the bar codes, she told me I wasn't supposed to touch all the packages...I was very decretly trying to figure out which ones we needed by weeding out duplicates...putting things back in their place etc. She told me it was Company policy. I told that was ridculous since another store actually offered to help me find the one I was missing by feeling the packages.

billysmommy
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I figured out the bar code thing too after buying 10 figures. I have to admit :bag that I've managed to find all 16...it took a lot of work and many trips to the Lego store.

I can't believe series 2 is coming out so soon. I found a link online to the pictures...more fun ones. http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8684_Minifigures_Series_2

At one Lego store by us the sales lady yelled at me for looking over the bar codes, she told me I wasn't supposed to touch all the packages...I was very decretly trying to figure out which ones we needed by weeding out duplicates...putting things back in their place etc. She told me it was Company policy. I told that was ridculous since another store actually offered to help me find the one I was missing by feeling the packages.

I love the witch and vampire in the next series!!!

It all depends on the store. There were 3 of us there with the printed sheets of barcodes figuring out which package was which figure and most of the sales people were over helping us....it was pretty funny.

alien_host
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I love the witch and vampire in the next series!!!

It all depends on the store. There were 3 of us there with the printed sheets of barcodes figuring out which package was which figure and most of the sales people were over helping us....it was pretty funny.

yes, Natick and Braintree are a lot friendlier than Burlington!

ETA: I think it is a riot that the mime has 3 different heads to use.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 02:22 PM

What's wrong with girls being nurses? My dd wants to be a nurse because I am one & I'm thrilled. Nurses aren't less than Doctors, their jobs are completely different. It feels wonderful that even other women look down at us.

MolieMuts
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
OK, they are out of stock online. I went by Border's today and was told that some guy came in a couple of days ago and bought $400 worth and now they were sold out. He said that he thought all the Border's were sold out and wouldn't get another shipment until series 2. Wow, I really shouldn't have let DS see them...I will never hear the end of it now.

Maxlee
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Does anyone know when the lego stores will be getting more (new batch) of these mini figures? DD's got their first lego set this weekend from the grandparents and LOVE it, especially the "people" - i need to get some more so they stop fighting over them.

Also, we have a local lego store and i noticed they have a monthly mini model build it says ages 6 -14. If i went with my almost 5 year old would they turn us away? Also, wondering how crowded those events are. It happens to be the first day of school at a lot of places here, not sure how that would effect turnout . . .

cilantromapuche
08-12-2010, 07:03 AM
I was excited about these and wasn't able to find them anywhere where we live (no lego store within 7 hours). I wasn't about to order online because I don't want to get into DS wanting to buy more because he didn't get the ones he wanted. He knows about them from brickmaster and was excited. I am going to sit them all out because although great in theory, it p%^(^es me off as a parent to make them scarce and difficult. I refuse to drive all over to see who has them.
On the bright side, Harry Potter sets come soon. That is where all my $$ is going for christmas for DS.

alien_host
08-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know when the lego stores will be getting more (new batch) of these mini figures? DD's got their first lego set this weekend from the grandparents and LOVE it, especially the "people" - i need to get some more so they stop fighting over them.

Also, we have a local lego store and i noticed they have a monthly mini model build it says ages 6 -14. If i went with my almost 5 year old would they turn us away? Also, wondering how crowded those events are. It happens to be the first day of school at a lot of places here, not sure how that would effect turnout . . .

I was told they come out in Sept. The Series 1 were supposed to come out mid June but came out earlier.

My just 5 YO has been doing the mini model build since June. I had asked one of the managers beforehand (we go there a lot) if it was OK, as I didn't want to get turned away.

Get there early. People line up beforehand. At our store they hand the kids in line a card, you turn in the card for your bag of parts. Many people leave the store without building them. My DD likes to do it there. Call and ask your store how they do it, I think some require you to go in and stay at a table and build it. It varies I guess.

We got in line about 20 minutes prior in August and by 5PM the line was huge!

Corie
08-15-2010, 10:57 PM
We have all 16 of the Series One mini-figures.

We are anxiously awaiting for the Series Two set. Supposedly it will
debut in September.

We also used a cheat sheet with bar codes and the store employees were
totally helping us.

alien_host
08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4403308&CAWELAID=585620589

don't forget ebates (1-2%) /fatwallet (2%)...

Maxlee
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
They are in stock at the lego store in Chicago. Bar codes are online so you can figure out which one is which w/out opening.