PDA

View Full Version : Homebirths/natural childbirths???

flamingo
06-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi gals- just wondering how many of you out there are planning or have had a natural childbirth/homebirth/birth with midwife/etc. and what your thoughts are about it. I am planning a homebirth with a midwife (along with her apprentice, my hubby and our doula) for my first in August.

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
No homebirth. Unmedicated, no intervention, hospital birth with CNM and doula for #1. Unmedicated, no intervention, birth center birth with a CNM for ds2. I loved my births! I knew that I really wanted to go without medication and to do that I felt like avoiding unnecessary interventions and having a CNM upped those chances. I am not opposed to interventions- they have their time and place. They are just way too overused nowadays and complete informed consent is not often sought. I much preferred the birth center but the hospital experience was fine- it wasn't typical because I left 20 hours postpartum and just had a different experience than many seem to.

After ds1 I was on such a birthing high for weeks. Ds2 I didn't get it as much but it still was awesome.

GL!
Beth

mommyndoula
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I homebirthed my second. Just my husband, midwife, apprentice and a patiently waiting grandma in another room making sure everyone had food, water, and a place to rest.

Best decision of my life and can't wait to do it again! ;)

brittone2
06-05-2010, 09:09 PM
DS1 was born in a hospital with a CNM.

DD was born in a freestanding birth center w/ a CNM.

DS2 was a homebirth/waterbirth with a CNM.

Congratulations and best wishes!

firemama
06-05-2010, 11:07 PM
We changed from a hospital to a free-standing birth center at 32 weeks. I just had my first 34 week check-up at the birth center and am so much more at ease! We are so excited to have our first birth with a midwife. I planned on having an unmedicated birth with no interventions at the hospital. During our Bradley classes, I realized how much of a struggle it would be with my OB and the hospital. The birth plan alone would have been pages! I would much rather go to the birth center and have a stress-free delivery (with no birth plan). Maybe for our second I can convince my husband to consider a home birth. :loveeyes:

Good luck and wish you all the best!

ged
06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I attempted a homebirth with my first, but had to be transferred to a hospital during my 8 hour (yes! not a joke) pushing phase. My DD1 was acynclitic (sp?) and we needed a vacuum to pull her out. This time, I did not want to try a homebirth...with DD2, I was induced with pitocin (not my preference, but I did not feel like fighting it after my previous exp), but still managed to have an unmedicated delivery (no epidural, etc). This time around, I was much less insistent upon my preferences, but b/c I knew I could handle labor/delivery without an epidural, I just asked the nurse to not ask me if I wanted medication. What I have learned is that I will benefit if I try to go in with an open mind. Yes, I have my preferences, but if it does not happen that way, it will still be OK. I was so devastated from my "failed" homebirth exp. that it really wore on me for awhile. Just my two cents.

sunnyside
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm giving birth in a hospital with my OB and a doula/midwife, and my goal is the most natural birth possible. I'm open to whatever is necessary though, and am not going to worry about it too much.

I did a bit to prepare though, from having a doula to prenatal yoga to hypnobirthing class, and reading about how other women were able to manage.

MoJo
06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm hoping for an unmedicated birth at a hospital birth center with my CNM.

I say "hoping," because that's what I wanted for DD#1 too. But my water broke, and I DIDN'T go into labor, even with membrane stripping, regular pumping, and more walking than I even realized I could do. So after 30 hours of no labor and two nearly sleepless nights, they started pitocin and sent my husband home, saying nothing would happen for quite a while. But the contractions were bad, and not having my husband or water for help as planned (we did Bradley classes), I ended up needing the epidural. . . and DD was born (with my CNM) MUCH sooner than they expected.

My OB/GYN and all three midwives say my chances of being successful this time are MUCH higher as a second time mom.

kellyd
06-07-2010, 08:28 AM
DS was born in a hospital w/ a CNM, hubby and my doula. Add in 1 nurse and that's the total people there for delivery. This time around, we're using the same CNM practice, but they require an epi line placed for twins, and we'll be delivering in the OR w/ at least 2 OB's, my CNM, DH, doula, nurses, team for each baby incl 1 ped and 2 nurses, anest. doc and nurse. It's going to be a party and I'm pretty much not liking that at all!

llama8
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I would be too nervous to try a homebirth. So many things can go wrong and I wouldn't want to take any chances not having medical staff around.

swissair81
06-07-2010, 08:35 AM
My DH isn't fond of homebirths (or midwives for that matter- which is kind of funny because I am going to school to be a CNM). He's from Europe & homebirths are illegal in his country (and they stay in the hospital for 10 days. Whatever.) So I picked the most natural doctor & hospital I could find & am going to make my own homebirth in the hospital. I'm being positive about it & it will be great.

Wife_and_mommy
06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
#1 was a hospital transfer after ruptured membranes and no labor after 24 hrs. 14 hours of fighting an OB to have a vaginal birth(after pit and epi).

#2 was at same freestanding birth center. DC was direct OP so labor was long but I loved every minute of being respected as I labored.

I love the atmosphere of the birth center so prefer it to my house.

Congratulations!

brittone2
06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I would be too nervous to try a homebirth. So many things can go wrong and I wouldn't want to take any chances not having medical staff around.

Midwives are medical staff. They carry oxygen, pitocin and other drugs to deal with possible hemorrhage, IVs, etc. with them. They are trained in maternal and neonatal resuscitation. Our CNM was trained in intubation.

There are many studies backing up the safety of homebirth for low risk women.

I understand it isn't a choice that is right for everyone, but just thought I'd provide that info.

Jenn850
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I am planning for minimal interventions and an undedicated Bradley birth. It is a vbac (dd1 was breech and a planned section).. so I think a home birth would be risky.. but we are going to stay at home (with a doula) as long as possible.

swissair81
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Midwives are medical staff. They carry oxygen, pitocin and other drugs to deal with possible hemorrhage, IVs, etc. with them. They are trained in maternal and neonatal resuscitation. Our CNM was trained in intubation.

There are many studies backing up the safety of homebirth for low risk women.

I understand it isn't a choice that is right for everyone, but just thought I'd provide that info.

Anyone who works in L & D is trained in neonatal resuscitation. The certification is called NRP and the RNs are trained too. Midwives should come with assistants for safety reasons, but as the pp said above, CNMs are medical staff.

brittone2
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone who works in L & D is trained in neonatal resuscitation. The certification is called NRP and the RNs are trained too. Midwives should come with assistants for safety reasons, but as the pp said above, CNMs are medical staff.

I agree :) My homebirth midwife uses an assistant.

Katigre
06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
I had a homebirth with DD and I'm so glad I made that decision. Up until 31 weeks pregnant I was with a CNM/OB practice and planning to birth in the hospital but had no internal peace about it (even though I had a good experience with them with DS's birth). When I finally listened to my gut and switched to a homebirth midwife, I felt so much better and I firmly believe DD needed to be born at home and that her birth in a hospital would not have been a positive experience.

The best part about a homebirth is the recovery afterward - you're in your own bed, where you feel comfortable and safe, your baby is always with you, and it's very peaceful and relaxing.

swissair81
06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
(Shameful secret: I enjoy the 2 day hospital vacation. I am not in charge of anything besides myself and the baby. I may be one of the only person in the world who enjoys hospital stays, but then again hospitals are practically my second home to begin with.)

Katigre
06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
(Shameful secret: I enjoy the 2 day hospital vacation. I am not in charge of anything besides myself and the baby. I may be one of the only person in the world who enjoys hospital stays, but then again hospitals are practically my second home to begin with.)
I was really blessed that my mother-in-law and mom and husband were all home with me so I never got out of bed to do anything except shower and pee the first week or two post-partum (midwife's orders to stay in bed and recover). They did all the cooking/cleaning/laundry and even brought me food and such until I felt up to getting up. So it really was like a vacation!

swissair81
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah well, my mil lives in another country, my mother & my husband keep their distance from each other & my husband likes how I do everything best (as do my kids). If you can do it, it's great.