PDA

View Full Version : How do I cook raw brats?

Fairy
06-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I have the Trader Joe's Hofrau Brats made with beer or whatever. I'm used to cooked brats you nuke and you're done. I'm branching out. So, they told me to pan fry these, and I know I can cut it open and/or use a meat thermometer to know it's ready, but my real question is how do I not burn them as they're cooking. I have terrible skill here and always burn stuff. I know keep my heat low, but then the stuff never cooks, whatever it is! I plan on using my non-stick wok-ish pan and some pam, just in case. Anyone have anything to add?

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I am terrible at cooking sausage. Usually I pan fry or broil them. Then I poke a few holes in them and microwave till done. :) I also like poaching then grilling/ broiling/ skillet to add some color.

Beth

DebbieJ
06-05-2010, 06:38 PM
we always boil ours in beer with sliced onions and then grill.

FYI--you don't want to use Pam on a nonstick pan. You'll have a sticky mess on your hands.

gobadgers
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Being from Wisconsin, I've cooked waaay too many bratwurst. I usually boil the heck out of them on the stovetop, then grill (or panfry) them briefly. I boil them for a long time (like >30 minutes, because I always worry about whether they are done too) and it seems that they cannot be overboiled.

We usually use Johnsonville brats, but I'm guessing the Trader Joe's ones would be the same.

Fairy
06-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Being from Wisconsin, I've cooked waaay too many bratwurst. I usually boil the heck out of them on the stovetop, then grill (or panfry) them briefly. I boil them for a long time (like >30 minutes, because I always worry about whether they are done too) and it seems that they cannot be overboiled.

We usually use Johnsonville brats, but I'm guessing the Trader Joe's ones would be the same.

Ok, so I'm boiling them. Set the timer for 30 minutes, then I"ll stick the thermometer in it. I poked holes in them about 2 minutes after I put them in to boil, and not sure if that was a mistake or not. But they're cooking. I"ll pan fry them once they're done boiling. Had no idea they'd take so long.

Thanks so much for the guidance.

gobadgers
06-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't think you have to poke holes when boiling, since they don't heat up as fast as they do in the microwave. But I don't think it hurts them either.

When I was in college, my roommate's mom would bring brats to tailgate before football games. She poked holes in them and boiled them because 'all the fat floats right out of them'. Funny, they never tasted fat-free.

If it wasn't so late I think I'd be getting out some brats for dinner. They sound good! Instead, the chicken salad that's already in the fridge. My poor family :-)

Fairy
06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
It's been a seriously insane, nutty three weeks, today I had rehearsal for my play, and I wanted to just get home; but I made a commitment today to make the brats for dinner, and that was that. So, at 3:30, I"m rushing home, and I realized I had positively nothing to eat with the brats, no salad, no sides, no nothin'. So, I passed Whole Foods and realized it was my only option, so I ran in and knew if I didn't keep my vision on "tunnel," I would positively leave $200 poorer. So, I got potato salad, cucumber sesame noodles, and ran home to make the brats. I would have bought beer if I'd thought of it. I didn't really trust how to make these brats, called a couple people, got conflicting opinions, and it was off to the boards. Thank you :-)

gobadgers
06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Sounds like quite a day! I hope the brats turned out well.

And Whole Foods... it ain't called "Whole Paycheck" for nothing. But then again, cucumber sesame noodles sound like a spectacular side for brats. Man, my family is jealous tonight :-)

Fairy
06-05-2010, 10:28 PM
It all worked out great, thank you so much!!! And Deb, thanks for the tip on Pam & non-stick. Will file that one away for the future!

Ceepa
06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
DH is making beer baths for some Brats today!