PDA

View Full Version : My freecycle group has turned into a wish list!

ha98ed14
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
We used to have an awesome freecycle group where I live. I have passed on a TON of stuff and gotten one or two gems myself. It was really well run, mods screen posts for content, there was a format to the way posts had to be written, and "Wanted" posts could only be made on Wednesdays. About a year ago the group was reorganized and the rules changed. Now you can post a Wanted post whenever you want. The thing is now ALL "Wanted"s. This great thing that was once a reduce-reuse-recycle has not become a Christmas Wish List. It makes me mad. I mean, I thought it was better to give than to receive.

daphne
06-05-2010, 07:43 PM
We have a lot of "wanteds" on our list, too. I don't mind, though. It's always been that way & I just scan through them to see if there's any way I can help. It's nice to get rid of things that you know someone else needs.

Snow mom
06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
We probably have more than 75% wanted posts on our list. I just delete them all without even looking at what they want. I figure if I have something to get rid of I'll post it and see who wants it. The posts that really piss me off are the ones that are asking for something very $$$ and being really picky about things. I once saw a post where someone wanted a stainless side-by-side fridge and then had the nerve to say something like "must be in excellent condition." Oh, as long as I'm bitching about freecycle, I hate offers and wanteds related to carseats. So many super old carseats must exchange hands this way.

kransden
06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
I moderate a freecycle group. What probably happened is your moderators have left for some reason. So you either don't have a moderator, or a new one. Ours has a rule of 1 want per day, which I zealously enforce.

DrSally
06-06-2010, 12:58 AM
The list where I used to live was *awesome*. A real community with a lot of givers and grateful receivers. There was even a spin off group for discussions. The one here kind of blows. A lot more "wanteds" and hardly any regulars or givers.

sidmand
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
We probably have more than 75% wanted posts on our list. I just delete them all without even looking at what they want. I figure if I have something to get rid of I'll post it and see who wants it. The posts that really piss me off are the ones that are asking for something very $$$ and being really picky about things. I once saw a post where someone wanted a stainless side-by-side fridge and then had the nerve to say something like "must be in excellent condition." Oh, as long as I'm bitching about freecycle, I hate offers and wanteds related to carseats. So many super old carseats must exchange hands this way.

The one that got me was when someone requested a CAR that had to be in working condition. Um yeah, if I had a car in working condition I don't think I'd be giving it to a stranger for free.

We do have quite a lot of wanteds (I've posted a handful myself) but I've gotten a few good things and Freecycled some nice things. For the most part it all works out. Only wanteds on Wednesdays sounds very harsh though! Maybe once it's through the pains of changing hands it'll work better.

LBW
06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Ours enforces a 1 wanted post every two weeks rule. Works really well to limit them!

MamaMolly
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Man, that stinks. I loved our Freecycle. I got rid of a lot of good stuff and got a lot of good stuff from Offers. Sadly I got burned with one of the only few Wanteds I made. I asked for a bread maker and the lady gave it to me without the pan. Didn't return emails and calls. So there are stinkers out there on both sides.

Snow mom
06-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Today someone posted a wanted for a home stripper pole for "working out." :rotflmao:

MamaMolly
06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Today someone posted a wanted for a home stripper pole for "working out." :rotflmao:

Did it have to be 'in excellent condition'? :hysterical:

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Oh come on! What better way to celebrate being a woman than to swing around on a pole? (This was the featured activity of my SIL's bachelorette party. If I hadn't been VERY pregnant at the time, I'd have gone for a spin!)

FWIW, those poles are freakin' expensive!!!

Did it have to be 'in excellent condition'? :hysterical:

It'd better be! Those things scratch & getting fingerprints off them is no picnic.

DrSally
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
today someone posted a wanted for a home stripper pole for "working out." :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

ewpmsw
06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Our Freecycle has strict rules about posting, and we get tons of reminders from the moderators, but it hasn't slowed the WANTED stuff. Wish we had a "Wanted Wednesdays" rule.

I got rid of a ton of things on Freecycle a few years ago, but stopped after some weird stuff happened - people got ticked when I responded to their multiple posts and said the items had been taken. I always post TAKEN according to the rules, but people don't check. And when they respond angrily because an item has been taken by someone else... ??? What's up with that? I quit Freecycling when it started to feel more like a feeding frenzy than sharing.

AbbysMom
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Someone on my freecycle just asked for $1,600. Really.

Melanie
06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I like the wants b/c sometimes I can fill them. But I agree, if your group is getting out of hand they ought to restrict it.

Melanie
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
people got ticked when I responded to their multiple posts and said the items had been taken. I always post TAKEN according to the rules, but people don't check. And when they respond angrily because an item has been taken by someone else... ??? What's up with that?

Honestly, I just don't respond. I post a 'TAKEN' and then if I am still hearing about it I delete my original message.

ewpmsw
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
One of our moderators sent out a list of Freecycle etiquette reminders yesterday. Apparently there has been a lot of drama caused by "come and get it" posts, like multiple takers showing up at locations and arguing with the poster or other takers. There were also reminders for people to be nicer to one another and be courteous in their communications. It's sad that the moderators need to send out so many reminders to grown-ups.

malphy
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I have given offered many things on freecycle and only now have seen anything I wanted (and I got them). I am shocked at the wanted posts. Today someone posted for a blackberry, someone posted for a digital camera (specific brand, mind you!), things someone didn't get for their baby shower registry, and for their new apartment.

Are you kidding? I ignore them but it is still frustrating!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
wow, that is just so appalling, the nerve of some people... a car?? a stainless steel fridge? a camera? are you serious? wow.

i'm not on freecycle but when i was in grad school i lived in a large dorm that had a mailing list specifically for things like this (people offering stuff for free outside their door, saying "<item>, free, at apt #xxx"). it was very active in the summer when people were moving out and just wanted to get rid of things fast. i remember the day i moved out wanting to get rid of a ton of stuff (old printer, scanner, etc) . i giving away a george foreman grill and it was gone literally 30 seconds after i sent the email out!! it was great to make someone's day like that. however don't think i could deal with "wanted" posts, that would be too annoying IMO.

i think the idea of restricting wanted posts to only one day makes sense. otherwise i imagine ppl would get annoyed and stop using it which kinda defeats the purpose.

jgenie
07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Someone on my local list posted a wanted ad for a Bob Stroller - not just any jogging stroller but specifically a Bob stroller. I used to post offers but found a church close by that takes donations year round for their rummage sale. I just drop off boxes as I fill them up.

pharmjenn
07-20-2010, 05:53 AM
I have given offered many things on freecycle and only now have seen anything I wanted (and I got them). I am shocked at the wanted posts. Today someone posted for a blackberry, someone posted for a digital camera (specific brand, mind you!), things someone didn't get for their baby shower registry, and for their new apartment.

Are you kidding? I ignore them but it is still frustrating!
Boy, you must live in the SF East Bay. I swear I have seen those posts.

vonfirmath
07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
In the Seattle area, I used to watch freecycle avidly and use it occasionally, even. now that I am in Austin the wanteds swamp it so much I don't even go there anymore.

alien_host
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't mind the modest wants...sometimes it's easier for me to part with stuff if someone is actively looking for it and I'm too lazy to post it up on FC. But a car or a Bob stoller? Seriously?

malphy
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't mind the modest wants...sometimes it's easier for me to part with stuff if someone is actively looking for it and I'm too lazy to post it up on FC. But a car or a Bob stoller? Seriously?

Ita, I don't mind the modest wants but the more ridiculous requests are just too much.