PDA

View Full Version : Am I too cheap?

MamaSnoo
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I was thinking of getting this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Patchwork-Pony-Bed-in-a-Bag/7965401) for DDs first big girl bed. From Walmart. I have never bought bedding there, but for $50....dunno, maybe I should? She is on a big horse kick, and it is bedding for a two year old, after all. I fully expect that it will have pee, poop, scribbles, etc on it at some point.

So........am I being too cheap?

fivi2
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I think it is very cute - I would buy it. But my girls' bedding comes from Target, so I am not the best person to ask! If it is cute and you like it, then go for it!

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I usually do 100% cotton but beyond that I will happily buy bedding at places like Target. I have no desire to spend hundreds on kids bedding sets (or mine). Just not a priority when there are cute, cheaper options out there. Have you looked at Company Kids for other horse themed alternatives just to see if you are getting the most bang for your buck? I usually just do cute sheets and a neutral comforter that I can use with anything and will grow with him.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Bedding+Girls+Bedding/5001/30033X/

Beth

MamaSnoo
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks, Beth-- I love that pattern from CK, but sheets alone are $88. I usually do not spend that much for myself (most of our sheets are high thread count, 100% cotton, neutral colors from Tuesday AM, LOL. I usually spend about $50 on a set.)

With the Walmart set, I figured that if I did not like the feel of the sheets, I could pick up some 100% cotton at Target or Tuesday am at a good price in a coordinating color. I suppose if it is too bad, I could just send it back!

And Fivi2.....I would have no opposition to Target here, it just didn't look like they had any cute horsey things right now (at least not on line).

katydid1971
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
That is super cute. Order it ship to store and if you don't like it you aren't out anything but a little time. I LOVE the colors. My only concern would be the 180 thread count poly/cotton sheets but reading the reviews said they softened up after a couple washes. Be cheap, that's why we come to this board in the first place, we're all cheap ;)
ETA: I like the walmart set better than teh CK's one. I like the colors better but that's IMO

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks, Beth-- I love that pattern from CK, but sheets alone are $88. I usually do not spend that much for myself (most of our sheets are high thread count, 100% cotton, neutral colors from Tuesday AM, LOL. I usually spend about $50 on a set.)

How about just a fitted sheet for $22 (still more than I normally pay but not frighteningly expensive, maybe?)? I do just one sheet a lot but I also don't use a flat sheet even if we have them. I'll do pillowcases if there's a good deal. :)

Beth

salsah
06-06-2010, 12:04 AM
it is cute. as long as the fabric isn't too scratchy, i think it is better to get something inexpensive. that way you won't be upset when she takes a permanent marker or a pair of scissors to it.

cairo06
06-07-2010, 12:02 AM
it is cute. as long as the fabric isn't too scratchy, i think it is better to get something inexpensive. that way you won't be upset when she takes a permanent marker or a pair of scissors to it.

My thoughts exactly. Although I would prefer 100% cotton. I never imagined my DD would be so destructive, but we've had a "scissor accident" before with her bedding. I'm hoping she's finally outgrown that phase.

I've been eyeing this set from Garnet Hill, if it goes on sale I might just get it. We use a plain fitted sheet and then the printed duvet cover and pillowcase. Much easier to make the bed.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/39706/1.ccd/s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/garnethill/T_WithZoom?$P_Main$&$src=19979_1

MommyAllison
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Go for it! But I would buy at least one extra set of sheets, and a couple good waterproof mattress pads, because you will end up doing middle of the night sheet changes. :)

MommyofAmaya
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Amaya still doesn't sleep on her "big girl" sheets and she has been in a full size bed since her 2nd birthday. She sleeps on top of the quilt on her made bed with her blankie. I like it this way b/c I only have to make the bed when I wash the quilt. We used a cotton hospital bed pad under her when she was potty training.

MamaSnoo
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
My thoughts exactly. Although I would prefer 100% cotton. I never imagined my DD would be so destructive, but we've had a "scissor accident" before with her bedding. I'm hoping she's finally outgrown that phase.

I've been eyeing this set from Garnet Hill, if it goes on sale I might just get it. We use a plain fitted sheet and then the printed duvet cover and pillowcase. Much easier to make the bed.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/39706/1.ccd/s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/garnethill/T_WithZoom?$P_Main$&$src=19979_1

Ooooo Cristina, that is sooooo pretty. Just my taste, too. But too spendy for my 27 mo old! I guess I will go cheap for now, and plan to get her something special when she is big enough to take care of it/appreciate it.

cairo06
06-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Ooooo Cristina, that is sooooo pretty. Just my taste, too. But too spendy for my 27 mo old! I guess I will go cheap for now, and plan to get her something special when she is big enough to take care of it/appreciate it.

I know what you mean. I buy the Ikea duvet covers for the DC, but DD got a more expensive set from her grandparents for Christmas. Thats the one she cut. I think I'll have to wait until she is 20 before I will buy her nicer bedding again. I would love it for myself, but I don't think DH would go for it.:)

citymama
06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Amaya still doesn't sleep on her "big girl" sheets and she has been in a full size bed since her 2nd birthday. She sleeps on top of the quilt on her made bed with her blankie. I like it this way b/c I only have to make the bed when I wash the quilt. We used a cotton hospital bed pad under her when she was potty training.

So my DD is not the only one who does this! She hasn't slept on her sheets since moving into her BG bed, not even once. She sleeps on her pretty quilt which is over her bedsheets, and pulls her blankie over her. Will not sleep on her lovely PBK sheets (bought on sale for $40).

I like those horsie sheets and wouldn't hesitate to get sheets at Target, but I don't do anything but 100% cotton.

HIU8
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Just to put it in perspective....

I just bought DD's bedding (sham, dust ruffle and bedspread for $39 on clearance at a major baby store near me (not BRU or Buy Buy Baby). It was normally over $100. I got sheets at Marshalls (300 thread count) for $20 a set (bought 2 sets). I did not get sheets to match the bedding. That didn't matter to me and all DD cared about was that bedding and sheets were pink.

So, no you are not cheap. I looked at Target/Walmart, but happened upon the clearance item by accident (I would have bought from the either of the first 2 stores if I didn't find the amazing deal though).

Karenn
06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Very cute!

I have yet to buy a textile from Walmart that hasn't disintegrated, shrunk badly, or bled all over everything upon the first (and sometimes subsequent) washings. I haven't bought sheets yet though. I'm all about inexpensive, but the textiles I've gotten from Walmart have turned out to be very expensive disposables.

I'd probably buy it, but be ready to either have to supplement it or treat it with kid gloves.

Green_Tea
06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
126 reviews and a five star rating? I'd don't think you're being cheap at all - you're being SMART!