PDA

View Full Version : 3rd trimester insomnia

wellyes
06-05-2010, 11:45 PM
All day long I am exhausted. DD & I actually have a game called "mommy's bed" where she sits on my bed and dresses up / diapers her dolls while I just LIE THERE offering the occasional comment for as long as I can get away with it.

Then night comes and I can't sleep. When I finally do fall asleep, I wake up for a few minutes every hour or two. NOT. FAIR. I will have a newborn soon so I know I don't have much sleep in the next few months either.

Any known cures for this? Please??

GonnaBeNana
06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
This is God's way of preparing you for those sleepless newborn nights, lol. You can safely take Benadryl which may make you drowsy enough to fall and then stay asleep. I suffer from chronic insomnia (way past my last pregnancy 11 years ago), but when I was pregnant, it did work effectively for me.

Beth

DrSally
06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
I could've completed your title for you. "3rd trimester insomnia....Su#ks". I never found a cure for it. It's hard to get comfortable and the peeing doesn't help. Sorry!

egoldber
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Are you doing any sort of hypnobirthing? I used the hypnobirthing CD and it put me to sleep like a log all through the third trimester! It was worth the price for that alone. ;)

Beth24
06-06-2010, 01:29 AM
I was having the same problem until I bought a snoogle maternity pillow. I thought it was way too extravagant a purchase this late in my pregnancy but I have slept much better since. And although I wake up every couple hours to pee I definitely fall back to sleep faster. Hope you get some relief soon.

PearlsMom
06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Some things that have worked for me when I couldn't fall/stay asleep:
- cranking the A/C way up
- washing my feet with a cool washcloth
- getting up and taking a bath with a non-serious book
- cutting back on sugar/chocolate (I know that helps but can rarely bring myself to do it)
- getting more pillows (and I second the snoogle recommendation)
- going to sleep in the guest room - sometimes a fresh (and empty) bed can help, even though I generally prefer to have DH and our doggies near
- making lists of things I'll miss about being pregnant, and things I'm looking forward to about not being pregnant/having a newborn

None of this is surefire; each night is an adventure! Hoping you get some sleep soon! I LOVE the "mommy's bed" game idea!

ewpmsw
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Right there with you, wellyes. I second the guest room suggestion - Helps to get away from the buzz saw that is sleeping contentedly when I can not. Otherwise, haven't found anything else that helps.

truly scrumptious
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Helps to get away from the buzz saw that is sleeping contentedly when I can not.

That used to make me so irrationally angry at poor DH. Actually it still does sometimes, and I'm not even pregnant :bag

Hope you get some sleep soon, wellyes!

fumofu
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't have any other suggestions from what PP's have made. But I'm going through the same thing, so at least you know you're not alone!