PDA

View Full Version : Goody Bags

mommylamb
06-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I know I'm not alone in hating all the junk in goody bags. DS's birthday is later this month and we've been going to birthday parties and have more to come in the next couple weeks (all his friends have birthdays within a couple months of his). So, we went to one yesterday... all the typical plastic crappy in the goody bag as is typical... stuff that DS looks at for a minute or two and then we chuck.

DH doesn't want to give goody bags for DS's party because he thinks it's a stupid tradition. I'd like to give something, but not your typical good back crap-ola. So, what are your suggestions? TIA.

ETA: He'll be turning 3, so pretty much all the kids are in that age range with the exception of a 1 year old sibling of one of his friends and my niece who is still an infant (so won't be getting a goody bag).

boolady
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Is there a them of any sort to the party?

egoldber
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
At younger DD's third birthday I gave an inexpensive paperbook picture book and a puzzle from the dollar spot at Target.

I've given out microwave popcorn, low $ gift certificates, stickers, notepads and pens, pencils, etc.

mommylamb
06-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Is there a them of any sort to the party?

Not really. In remembrance of Electra's recent post on this, I'm one of those people who sucks at throwing parties. DS isn't really gung-ho into any particular characters or TV shows. We're just having a bunch of people over to the house for pizza and cake.

LMPC
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
We did locally baked cookies last year as a goody. But there were no kids with FA's. I"ll be watching this thread for ideas for this year :)

dcmom2b3
06-06-2010, 04:16 PM
DD gave her B-day guests helium balloons -- you could match your color to your theme (ours were yellow smiley face balloons -- fun and in keeping with our quasi-hippy dippy 70s love children image).

I'd suggest making them all the same color, and keeping them hidden until guests start to depart. We went to one party where guests selected their balloons at the beginning of the festivities, and it was just a PITA to keep up with which ones had already been "claimed," and by whom. Poor DD chose 4 different times, only to have kids run up and snatch it away from her saying "That's mine!" Boo.

boolady
06-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of coloring books or stickers or other things the kids will really play with.
We've done just a large decorated cookie, too. I don't like goody bags, either, so I know where you're coming from.

What about sidewalk chalk or a frisbee or something, given the time of year? These things get hours of use at my house.

egoldber
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
We're just having a bunch of people over to the house for pizza and cake.

So make it a pizza theme. :) Have pizza slice shaped invites, they sell "pizza" party supplies, make the goody bag a jar of pizza sauce and a recipe for or ingredients for dough (depending on how ambitious you are).

KrisM
06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
At that age, we did crayons and a coloring book for DS. For DD, they got dress-up skirts that I found on clearance.

swrc00
06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
What about a match box car? I remember seeing them at Kroger with the 10/$10 stuff. Homemade play dough? Bubbles?

HannaAddict
06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
At younger DD's third birthday I gave an inexpensive paperbook picture book and a puzzle from the dollar spot at Target.

I've given out microwave popcorn, low $ gift certificates, stickers, notepads and pens, pencils, etc.

I would not give out microwave popcorn or popcorn of any sort to an under 6 crowd. It is a dangerous choking hazard, more dangerous since it can be aspirated into the lungs, etc. and is not recommended for under six (some peds say 5). We've never allowed it based on our ped's recommendation but a new article was just in the NY Times around Memorial Day about the risk and warnings proposed by the AAP. Just fyi. (My three year old begs for popcorn since her preschool let them have some so it would be a sad day if she got that in our goody bag.)

I try and not do any sort of food or candy. We do nice bubbles that actually work (about a dollar each) not the cheapest since I've been to parties with kids crying when the bubbles suck, crayons, notepads, sticker books, small board books, or for a ballerina party they all got a tutu, wings and fairy wand. Sometimes hair clips or Matchbox cars. We give everyone a balloon when they leave too (three and up) and have some mylar balloons if parents feel strongly about latex - only had one request for mylar so far.

egoldber
06-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Hmm. I guess I did the popcorn for older DD's 7th birthday "movie" party. I was more throwing out ideas for the OP of "non crap" type favors. But one man's treasure is another man's crap. ;)

gordo
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
DD's party was yesterday and we gave these
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48859191/sidewalk-paint18-mini-stackschoose-your?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=sidewalk+paint&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

They were a huge hit!

SnuggleBuggles
06-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Last year I asked people for their favorite favors they have received and this was the great thread that followed:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=324086&highlight=birthday+party+favors

Last year I gave balls, $2.00, plastic playground balls. They were a hit!
eta- in years past I have done the following:
-ice cream cones rolled in melted chocolate and decorate with candies and a gc to an ice cream place in the cone. I put them in a clear bag along with a handful of candies.
-the kids got to scoop up stuff from the pinata- good candies vs the normal crap, bouncy balls and a few slightly better than crap stuff (notepads, stickers...).
-little wooden treasure chest shaped boxes from Michael's, Hershey's Nuggets, along with some sparkly gems, glitter glue and paint to decorate the wooden box
-little Gladware snack sized containers decorated with stickers and filled with Annie's graham bunnies plus some shaped crayons that I ordered on Etsy
-sand pail, splash bombs and a few other appropriate pool toys with a balloon tied to the handle

Beth

infocrazy
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I ran out of time to find something for DS2's party, so I just gave 2 Costco cookies, tied with a ribbon and a personalized tag. They were a hit and they were EASY!

hillview
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Last year we did Usbourn books and they were a huge hit.
/hillary

crl
06-06-2010, 05:36 PM
We've done big gertie balls, this year I am handing out inexpesive books (purchased through ds' Scholastic book order), bubbles or sidewalk chalk are also good.

Catherine

cuca_
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I also hate those goody bags. I've done the following:

1. buckets with shovels and sand toys and the kids' names written outside.

2. playground ball

3. mini board books

4. Melissa and Doug giant sticker book (found them for a little over $3 online)

5. Playmobile figurine (smaller party)

bubbaray
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
We've done some pretty useful goody bags. Of the top of my head, we've done:

pails and shovels
watering cans, small pot and seeds
playdough & playdough mats & sidewalk chalk
kites & hula hoops (that was for DD#1's party this year -- HUGE hit).

JustMe
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Dd's friend just gave out workbooks from the dollar store, which I thought was a great idea. Your child is younger, so maybe a coloring book?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Wikki stix, Yummy Earth lolli's.

For DD's B-day we did an earth friendly theme, we gave earth boxes (had a reusable bag, book and stickers) bought for $2 on clearance at B&N, with a little recycled animal book per kiddo. One bag per family, with the wikkis and lollis.

MamaKath
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
So make it a pizza theme. :) Have pizza slice shaped invites, they sell "pizza" party supplies, make the goody bag a jar of pizza sauce and a recipe for or ingredients for dough (depending on how ambitious you are).
This was my thought- a pizza theme! You could play up an Italian restaraunt look with red and white table cloths. I love the thought of sauce, my thought was a mini Boboli crust, lol. If you wanted to have the kids "make" pizza at the party, you could get English muffins, sauce, cheese, and pepperoni and do a make and bake activity that they get to eat.

Here are some other ideas, you might need to play with the age levels a bit, but it should get you started.
http://partythemeplace.com/party-themes-2
http://www.paperpotpourri.invitations.com/content/kidsparty/content/pizza.html
http://www.amazingmoms.com/htm/party-pizza-party-theme.htm
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/pizza_party_6.html

Oh and I had a thought for "Cake"- a friend of mine makes her kids a giant chocolate pizza. It is a giant cookie covered with white chocolate, milk chocolate, whoppers, chocolate wafers, etc. Yummy!!! Not traditional but perfect with ice-cream. ;)

motherofone
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
We just had dd's 7 year birthday party. We had a Hawaiian theme so everybody got a lei (boys shell, girls flower) and that was it. I felt very brave for forgoing the goody bag. I despise them no matter how high quality the stuff is inside them. Last year we did a pottery painting party at a shop so we considered the pottery the goody. When I was a kid, the goody bag was to carry home any prizes we won in the party games-not just a bag of junk handed out at the end.

lcarlson90
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I have also decided that I would rather buy one more expensive item for each child that can actually be used rather than a bunch of junk. We did a superhero themed party for my DS and we bought each child a personalized felt cape and wristband from Etsy. My sister is doing personalized Camelbak water bottles for her DS's birthday.

GonnaBeNana
06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I hate goody bags too because they're either full of junk or so expensive! I love the balloon idea from a PP for 3 year olds. We did personalized cups for our DC's birthday one year. I just got white plastic cups from the dollar store and used permanent markers to write each child's name on it with a bit of decoration. I'm NO artist so they were quite simple. At the end of the party, I filled their cups (after washing them as they used them at the party), with a few pieces of candy and an inflatable ball for later. They were a huge hit and very simple too.

Beth

MamaMolly
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
How many kids? And what is your 'crafty' level? ;)

Last year I followed some online directions and appliqued each kiddo's first initial onto a tshirt I got on super sale at Michael's or somewhere like that. DD1 loves construction stuff so I used fabric with that print. It was inexpensive and really only cost me the time to make it. I'm a mid-crafty person. I can wield a glue gun and sew a crooked line so to me it was fun. I hadn't had a creative outlet for a while so I kinda got into it.

I really like the idea for the pizza party with Bobolis and sauce or something similar as the goody.

You know...just thinking here, but if you found some rolls of big butcher paper that could be the 'tablecloth' like at Italian restaurants where they have paper and crayons on the table. FUN!

Fairy
06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I do t-shirts every year, spend about $10/shirt give or take a buck. Last year it was Peter Pan, so I had it say "Look at all the joy you'll find, when you fly to birthday 5!" Year before it was Incredibles, and the front had in Incredibles font, "Incredible Birthday!" with the family in line art. Year before that it was Madagascar with "It's a jungle out there, let's have a party!" (not my best work on that one). I hate the plastic bag o'crap, and I refuse to visit it on other parents, and do my best to deliver them from it. So there ya go.

fauve01
06-07-2010, 03:48 AM
when dd was 4, we gave each guest a box of character bandaids (DD picked) and a kid toothbrush. all bought on sale at Target. :)

when she was 5, we gave each guest a letter pillow (letter to match the guest's first name initial). DD picked the fabric, helped me cut the pattern pieces, helped stuff and sew the pillows closed. guests all LOVED the pillows!

hth,
anne

mommylamb
06-07-2010, 04:04 AM
I knew I had come to the right place for this question! Thanks for all the great advice. I'm not sure which of these ideas I'll do, but definitely one of them.

To answer questions, I'm not crafty at all... sadly. I like the pizza theme idea, but I also really like the idea of a small bucket with a sand toy since it's the start of summer.

kboyle
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
when dd was 4, we gave each guest a box of character bandaids (DD picked) and a kid toothbrush. all bought on sale at Target. :)

i totally think i might do this for Charlie's birthday!

Mamma2004
06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Last week was the third time in a row I have given the kids a book as a "goody"....and both they and the parents are thrilled every time! It's not inexpensive but wow, it surely beats the cheap junk we usually bring home.

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48859191/sidewalk-paint18-mini-stackschoose-your?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=sidewalk+paint&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

They were a huge hit!

I bought those based on this thread. They look so neat! I hope shipping winds up being cheaper. I hadn't noticed that it was $20 before I confirmed so I was just screwed. I don't know if I could have ok'ed it before I got that far either. I know she says she quotes the highest possible price and refunds the balance. $20 is painful though and it's kind of a bummer.

Beth

kijip
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Art supplies or stickers or cheap books or cheap music CDs are all non-junky options. For an older set (age 7) we are doing very small lego kits (it's a lego party). We got the store credit for the kits as part of the lego take home party package.

mommylamb
06-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Decision is made on the goody bags- instead of giving out bags, I got each kid coming to the party these beautiful hand-woven crickets. I just got back from China and I bought these in the silk market from a vender that makes them in front of you.

Melanie
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
A book, one of those small non-spillable bubble containers, matchbox car, mini playdough, gift cert. for a slice of pizza at your fav. place, a ball...just think of any one multi-purpose item you have in your house that's a few dollars.

elephantmeg
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
love your cricket idea! I'm sure they'll be a big hit!

vonfirmath
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
My son is turning 3 in August and I'm thinking of making homemade bean bags as party favors -- maybe 3 per kid?

my son's FAVORITE take-home party favors have been helium balloons and those balloons that are a bit thicker and have a handle and you sit and "bounce" on.

peanut520
06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
My son is turning 3 in August and I'm thinking of making homemade bean bags as party favors -- maybe 3 per kid?

my son's FAVORITE take-home party favors have been helium balloons and those balloons that are a bit thicker and have a handle and you sit and "bounce" on.

and you could send home instructions to make a board for a bean bag toss game

spanannie
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
My kids are having their parties this weekend and at DD's party (6), we're giving the foam waterguns (called "Max Liquidator"), and at DS's party (8), we're giving Lego Star Wars key chains. I'm anti bag-o-crap, as well.

Globetrotter
06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I agree - I despise those goody bags. Do a search for goody bags and several threads should come up.

If you want to keep it simple, maybe a Baskin robbins gift certificate ($2) OR a book or puzzle, etc... I don't wrap them or use a bag, either, to save the earth. Those plastic bags are a major source of litter :(

ha98ed14
06-17-2010, 12:49 AM
DD's birthday was a month ago. I gave out PEZ dispensers and a sheet of stickers. Everyone went home happy!

TonFirst
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM

So, yeah, if you haven't made bean bags before, I learned this the hard way after making a dozen bean bags filled with rice for my kids: put the rice in a small ziplock baggie before you sew them in the fabric, and then double-stitch each seam.

We stopped doing the bag o' crappy, lead-coated choking hazards a few years ago - we stick to a few cookies in a cello bag from a local bakery, and I make a hangtag or sticker for the cello bags that fits with the theme, like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4442985981_544e35d419_b.jpg

or this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2792/4350131527_d1da108a7e_b.jpg

Last year, there was a FA kid in my son's class, so he got some stickers.

sarahsthreads
06-17-2010, 09:08 AM

I just made some bean bags for a class activity. I would recommend sewing a plain bag for the beans out of something like muslin and then putting that inside another bag with nicer fabric. They were really quick and easy, and I love the idea of using them for party favors - if you only count the amount of fabric I used and the beans, the 8 bags I made maybe cost $3-4? (Hard to say - I bought lots of fabric because it was cute and I knew I'd use it for something else.)

For DD2's birthday party, I was planning on getting some UV reactive pony beads and having the kids make bracelets with them as both an activity and a favor, but considering DD2 will be too small to do that herself (she'll be the by far the youngest there) I'm going to save that idea until she's older. Target has giant bubble wands for $2, so I'm giving those instead. Fun for all ages!

Sarah :)

katerinasmom
06-17-2010, 09:43 AM
For DD's 6th Birthday we got pencil/art supply boxes from Michael's for $1 each and a box of 64 crayons also for $1 each from Michael's. I put a cute label on the box that read "Thank your coming to DD's 6th Birthday Party", put the box of crayons inside it and handed them out to each kid attending from ages 2 to 8. Big hit with the parents and the kids and DD.

Mikey0709
06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Our party is a LEGO theme this year - - i actually found LEGO toothbrushes at FIVE BELOW for $1 each and they have a little LEGO man inside each one. If they don't need it for at home - they can use it for travel this summer...my kids seems to go through a TON of toothbrushes somehow? I'm putting this together with LEGO candy I bought. I figured at least moms won't be too upset with candy if i'm giving a toothbrush with it!!

happy2bamom
02-11-2011, 05:56 PM

They were a huge hit!

I'm so glad that I found this thread. I just ordered these for DS party. I"m super excited. The owner is/was great to work with.

Fairy
02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by gordo
http://www.etsy.com/listing/48859191...page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

They were a huge hit!

I'm so glad that I found this thread. I just ordered these for DS party. I"m super excited. The owner is/was great to work with.

I am so glad you recussitated this thread. That chalk is awesom! I just learned last week that the t-shirt shop that I love and use for all of DS's t-shirts for all his bday parties has closed. This particular chalk is a great idea. So different and interesting. I'm bookmarking this chick for all kinds of gift ideas, and I'd even be willing to do a goodie bag for this. I love this. Thank you!

happy2bamom
02-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I am so glad you recussitated this thread. That chalk is awesom! I just learned last week that the t-shirt shop that I love and use for all of DS's t-shirts for all his bday parties has closed. This particular chalk is a great idea. So different and interesting. I'm bookmarking this chick for all kinds of gift ideas, and I'd even be willing to do a goodie bag for this. I love this. Thank you!

You are welcome! Make sure that you check out her FB page before ordering. I found a 10% off coupon code there :)

marylovesbennyhill
02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I know this is not an answer per se, but I am with the OP's DH. I stopped doing goody bags because it became a competitive type of thing. Seriously, the bags got more and more elaborate with every party we went to....so I put my foot down and said "No more". It has saved me money and heartache and, I am sure, has saved other parents from grief as well. Less is more.

mom_hanna
02-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't do goody bags either. I just can't stand getting them so I don't give them out either. If we have balloons for decorations, we give them out to the kids at the end of the party. Sometimes we do a craft as part of the party, and then they take it home with them. That's the extent of it. The kids don't seem to care that there is no goody bag.

larig
02-12-2011, 02:48 PM

You are too clever! Love this idea. Especially if you have a dough recipe that you LOVE.

ETA: D'oh! just realized this thread is OLD!! Still, clever idea, and love the paint.

newg
02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
DD's birthday is next week, she's turning 3. I'm doing a little goody bag and her theme is Minnie/Mickey Mouse. I'm going to put a few stickers and silly bandz in each bag (Mickey Mouse themed). The girls will get a "minnie mouse" hair bow (if I get them made in time) and the boys a match box car. I may do some bubbles too.

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
For ds2's 3rd, everyone got a balloon, a homemade lollipop and a sheet of stickers all dinosaur themed. It was cheap and disposable- what I was looking for. :)

I never heard from anyone that we gave the sidewalk paint to at ds1's party last summer but I enjoyed playing with it.

Beth

vludmilla
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
At the last birthday party we attended DD received a pair of Disney pajamas and a helium filled balloon. She thought both of these things were pretty fantastic.

Fairy
02-13-2011, 12:34 AM
At the last birthday party we attended DD received a pair of Disney pajamas and a helium filled balloon. She thought both of these things were pretty fantastic.

Nice! I like this. I also like anything to do with sillybandz. The problem is that I like Sillybandz more than the kids do!

bubbaray
02-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Another old thread resurrected....

Fairy
02-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Another old thread resurrected....

I know ... a rare on purpose guilty on this one.

mommytotwo
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Here's some ideas: Playdoh, stickers, crayons, coloring book, tatoos, ball, sand toys, "play dress up" hats (fire fighter, safari, hard hat, etc.).

calv
02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
mcdonalds has the $1 valentines' day coupons. pass those out. 1 book per child. cheap and easy!!