PDA

View Full Version : Pantyhose! (obvious spinoff!)

TwinFoxes
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I admit I was surprised how many women like hose. So let's have a poll! Wait for it...

SnuggleBuggles
06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I think there is a time and place for them and I will wear them when I think it makes sense, like a formal occasion. I usually go bare legged (I wear a ton of skirts and dresses in the summer). I feel like a dork, just not myself, in skirts, tights and boots. I so wish that hose and regular heels were an OK winter look. I can't be too bothered by fashion rules like this one. I appreciate fashion rules that really make sense like shorter women look better in skirts that are above the knee- it's true. Not wearing pantyhose for some arbitrary reason like they aren't "in style" just doesn't cut it. Prove to me why they look bad and wrong (matching skin tone, good fit, no weird toe thing with open toed shoes...) and then we can talk. :)

Beth

DrSally
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I usually don't like them and glad they're not in style. But, I might wear them in certain, very professional situations to make myself more comfortable.

TwinFoxes
06-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't be too bothered by fashion rules like this one. I appreciate fashion rules that really make sense like shorter women look better in skirts that are above the knee- it's true. Not wearing pantyhose for some arbitrary reason like they aren't "in style" just doesn't cut it. Prove to me why they look bad and wrong (matching skin tone, good fit, no weird toe thing with open toed shoes...) and then we can talk. :)

Beth

See, this is what I find so fascinating! Most women I know think of not wearing hose as throwing off the shackles of men telling us what to wear. That's why I put even if they were in style I wouldn't wear them. It's not that they look bad, but that they are uncomfortable and women with perfectly nice legs are forced to wear hot uncomfy hose because their bosses say so.

But that's just me. :)

ehlana06
06-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I absolutely can not stand hose. They are way too restricting for me. LOL If I had my way I would be all natural all the time, but, alas, society mandates that we must wear clothes. I was one of those kids you see running around half naked and barefoot in the summer. My mom was a total hippie. I guess I inherited it from her :bag

crl
06-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Well, I feel obligated somehow to post. LOL. I am actually not a huge fan of panty hose and avoid them most of the time. But they do help keep my legs warm (it is COLD in San Francisco in the summer), help keep me from getting blisters in dress heels and make my pasty white legs a little less glaring. So they are practical, in a way. Oh, and I actually wear stockings with a garter belt rather than panty hose. Much more comfortable.

Catherine

LexyLou
06-07-2010, 12:10 AM
So glad they are out of style. I hate hose!

citymama
06-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Did not know they were out of style (or ever in style) but either way, I detest pantyhose!

fivi2
06-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't particularly *like* them, but I would feel weird not wearing them in certain situations. Like court or job interviews (when I was a lawyer).

But I also agree with pp, that it is a weird "rule." I think they are appropriate in certain situations, even if I don't always like them! (I just don't think of them as a choice related to being in style or not. They are just appropriate in some situations... I can see certain colors being in style or not, but not the entire article of clothing, if that makes sense!)

Fairy
06-07-2010, 12:25 AM
BTW, I refuse to call them "pantyhose." They're nylons. On occasion, I'll say "hose." I just can't stand that word, which may be cuz I don't like/say the word "panty," but that's a whole 'nother thread. Which we've recently had :-)

elektra
06-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I never wear the and I don't think I ever would unless I had some kind of job that required it.
I would consider wearing some really dark hose the kind that look almost like tights with a short skirt, but I'm not that fashionable and that's probably already out of style anyway and I'm just too out of the fashion loop to know it.
It also never really gets cold enough to warrant nylons/pantyhose from a practical standpoint either.
So pretty much a no way here.

egoldber
06-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I don't enjoy them, but I liked the way they make my legs look. And since I grew up wearing them and remember what a big deal it was to be old enough to wear them, it seems sooooo weird to me to not wear them with skirts to work.

Although I wear pants 90% of the time anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Even my interview suit was a pants suit.

MoJo
06-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm in Ohio. . .

I can't imagine wearing dresses/skirts to work (in a professional office setting) in general without pantyhose. I did last week, only because I'm REALLY pregnant.

I've never seen anyone at an office meeting wearing tights OR going bare-legged with their suits and dresses.

I don't really like hose, but I do think they make my legs look better, and I've been wearing them long enough that it feels really wrong not to.

wellyes
06-07-2010, 07:37 AM
I like them, but more to be comfortable in dress shoes than for how they make my legs look. I can't STAND wearing heels without anything between my foot & the leather.

viba424
06-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I would definitely wear them to work, meeting, interview, or other professional setting with a skirt, but probably not otherwise. I dont have anything against them. They make me feel more put together.

daisymommy
06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Here's my vote: I have been wearing them when I wear a dress or skirt because I like how it makes my legs look, but now I may give them up, knowing how "out" they are :(

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
See, this is what I find so fascinating! Most women I know think of not wearing hose as throwing off the shackles of men telling us what to wear. That's why I put even if they were in style I wouldn't wear them. It's not that they look bad, but that they are uncomfortable and women with perfectly nice legs are forced to wear hot uncomfy hose because their bosses say so.

But that's just me. :)

I never thought of it that way. I don't find them uncomfortable at all. I find the rule about not wearing them to be as bad as the rule saying we have to wear them. I don't want eye rolls if I show up at a black tie wedding wearing stockings (my name for them)- don't pity my lack of fashion ability because I am wearing them since I choose to wear them. :)

Beth

mommylamb
06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes in winter, no in summer and never with open-toed shoes. I hate them, but I feel like I need them (or tights) in the winter time.

TwinFoxes
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't want eye rolls if I show up at a black tie wedding wearing stockings (my name for them)- don't pity my lack of fashion ability because I am wearing them since I choose to wear them. :)

Beth

I promise I've never rolled my eyes at anyone who wore nylons :) (my preferred term) I'm certainly no fashionista. I like clothes, and try to look fashionable, but I'm not the fashion police. ;)

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
There are days I REALLY need the support and I get chafing from the ol' thigh-slap without hose ... oh, and I feel weird wearing anything but sandals without socks or hose, so I wear hose regardless of the season.

Admittedly, I regret this sometimes, but I'd rather be sweaty than chafed.

gobadgers
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I wore hose fairly often when I was working, and now that I'm a SAHM I've sworn the horrid things off.

That said, I did like them for some professional occasions. I felt like I had one less thing to worry about, and felt a little more polished.

So, those in the professional world, are they still the standard? Or do people wear tights with business suits? My office was conservative and I can't imagine showing up in a skirt and bare legs.

Piglet
06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I hate hose with a passion and wear them far more than I want to. Stylish or not, I live in a cold climate and there are months on end when you have to wear tights (my preference) or pantyhose. The tights work great in the winter, but in spring and fall I am stuck with pantyhose.

cvanbrunt
06-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I've never had strong feelings about them. I wore them when appropriate. Now I don't. I'm not a slave to fashion by any stretch of the imagination but this is one thing I do simply because it is "in style". My students have made it clear that hose=old lady. They are up there with pleated high waist jeans. I can live without being trendy but I try to pay attention to big shifts in style. That said, I'm still not on Facebook.

ThreeofUs
06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
I wear 'em with skirts up here in the frozen north 'cause them updrafts are just tooooo dang cold.

;)

Seriously, I love support pantyhose in the winter. They're thick, keep my legs warm under whatever I'm wearing, and hold my poor dancer's legs together.