PDA

View Full Version : zofran?

nfowife
06-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Did anyone take zofran for MS? I'm having a horrible time of it and my OB is calling it in for me today. Did it help?

bubbaray
06-07-2010, 12:46 AM
hmmmm, anything you'd care to share????

NO experience with Zofran, but wanted to wish you H&H 9m. :)

Karenn
06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Zofran was my best friend during my second pregnancy. It didn't totally relieve the nausea, but definitely made it very manageable. My only advice is to heed the warning that constipation can be a side effect. They're not kidding. Eat your fiber.

Congratulations! I hope you're feeling better soon!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2010, 06:23 AM
don't know how i would have managed without Zofran in first trimester. i didnt' take it that often bc it was a class B med and i was paranoid about everything..i only took it maybe 6 times,and a half dose at that. but it did noticeably help the nausea. the only bad part is the side effects (mainly, constipation). worth it though, if you're really having trouble keeping things down. the next time i get preggo, i'll probably have to use it more often, given that i will already have another kid to take care of.

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
in my book, zofran is always accompanied by colase. if you don't, you'll regret it.

egoldber
06-07-2010, 07:00 AM
I took Zofran with my younger DD. It was a lifesaver for me. At the time, I was only allowed 15 pills a month by my insurance, so I cut them in half. I also had a scrip for phenergan that helped me a lot (but doesn't help everyone). I would take phenergan until early afternoon (mid afternoon to evening was my worst time) and then take half a Zofran.

ETA: I did not have the issues the PP refers to :p, but I know that is a common effect.

MoJo
06-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been on 1/2 a pill, 3x/day since January. I haven't had any side affects that can't be addressed by diet, and actually didn't know about that particular side affect until I'd been on it a few months. I thought my issues were just the ones common to pregnancy, not caused by the meds.

Before, my nausea was controlling my life. I spent all day trying not to get sick. The Zofran helps me be a much better mommy. I'm actually taking the generic, which is called Ondansetron, and highly recommend getting the dissolvable version, especially if you're interested in taking or are being prescribed 1/2 doses.

:hug: to you, because I know what you're going through!

nfowife
06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
thanks for the insight guys! I am taking the generic, I have a tablet but I will ask my OB if there is another version I can get. I am likely stuck with the tablet because I'm overseas and the pharmacy carries a limited supply. Hopefully I won't need it for too long! I'm already 12 weeks but I've been feeling horrible for about 6 weeks now and just trying to deal on my own. I finally got fed up this weekend and decided to make the call. I took the first pill this morning and I already feel 100% better! I will pick up some sort of BM helper at the store today just in case. Thanks for the heads up on that end ;)

arivecchi
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Zofran was my savior both pregnancies. I had to take several a day. Congrats!

doberbrat
06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
zofran kept me out of the hospital but didnt relieve the nausea. I do much better on reglan & phenergan and a weekly trip to the iv clinic to rehydrate.

g'luck!

kam
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a prescription for Zofran, too, and I'm glad that someone else posted about it!

My OB gave me a prescription for the generic last week, 4 mg 3x/day as needed. (It's the one that dissolves on your tongue). But he only gave me 12 pills with one refill.

How do I know when to take it? How often should I take it? I've taken it twice, both times for virtually uncontrolled vomiting in the evenings (5+ times in 2 hours). But the rest of my life, I vomit 2-3 times a day, am always nauseous, and am having trouble working and playing with DD.

Should I just take it more often and ask for refills as needed?

(Also -- to those who have it, but are just starting to take it .... Colace is your friend!!!)

hellokitty
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
in my book, zofran is always accompanied by colase. if you don't, you'll regret it.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: 3x to stress this point!

ewpmsw
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I refused to take it the first time, but found it necessary to stay upright in order to chase a busy toddler. It definitely helped with the nausea and dizziness I felt 1st trimester. In addition to the constipation, it can be sedating for some people.

doberbrat
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Should I just take it more often and ask for refills as needed?

its hideously expensive so how much you get can be dictated by your ins.

I personally wouldnt take it for puking 2-3x a day but thats a discussion best had with your ob.

arivecchi
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Deleted post

Indianamom2
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I took it from 15 weeks on...I had been miserable up until then and had been taking a combo of Phenergan and Reglan (for migraines, initially, then also for nausea).

I did not vomit again after starting Zofran. It still took a few weeks to really feel normal again, but it most definitely helped with the vomitting/nausea.

Hang in there...and congratulation!

tmahanes
06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I can imagine how i would have gotten through without zofran. I had to have IV's in the ER bc I could not even keep down water and once they gave me the zofran it was awesome!! I had to take it basically from about 8 weeks until the day B was born. The insurance company kept telling me I could only have 20 pills every 30 days bc it was too expensive. I had the generic and had to self pay for pills when the insurance would not pay. They were not expensive (like $15 for 20 pills) so I don't know what the big deal was. I also would recommend the colase though! :shake: I would also definitely recommend the oral dissolving kind instead of the tablet to swallow.

wallawala
06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I will not get pregnant again without Zofran!! I had "all day sickness" until 20 weeks, and then life went back to normal and I stopped.

It's pregnancy crack! I only took it when needed, and sucked in up on the weekeds without any, but in retrospect not sure why I was so careful. I didn't win any awards for puking and lying on the couch (or secretly puking in the trash can of my office either).

kam
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Luckily, insurance isn't a problem -- the generic is 100% covered. So it's more about "need" vs. "want"

I had a horrible day yesterday -- could barely sit up my stomach hurt so badly, was always throwing up (even water), so I gave in and took one at about 3. What a difference! I was able to play with DD, eat something (granted, nothing excited) and watch a movie with DH, before crashing out and sleeping for 8 straight. Then I woke up HUNGRY.

If it works like that, I'll be taking it more often.

Oh, and wallawala -- I'm with you. Puking in my office trash can is NOT fun.

lchang25000
06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I took Zofran during my 1st trimester when my nausea was really bad and I had MS until 15 weeks. Luckily, I never vomited. I only took it a few times since I didn'nt want to take too many. I fell asleep right after taking it each time. Not sure if the pills made me sleepy or I was just tired, or both.

bostonsmama
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I took it from about 9-13 weeks every to every other day. I would try not to take it until I needed it (which usually meant puking). I felt like: after throwing up 4-5 times in a row...after water comes stomach bile, after stomach bile comes foam...and then what more do you have to throw up?? Bile tastes disgusting coming up, so that's when I made the call to my OB. I got the dissolve-under-the-tongue kind (not sure if generic or name brand since I don't pay for scripts at all). It was good stuff. Of course you feel guilty, but I'd rather have a well-nourished baby by being able to eat wholesome food instead of puking and being dehydrated all the time.

I did, however, HATE the constipation issues, ones that even Colace couldn't solve. I looked 4 months pg I was so bloated...but still better than puking. :)