PDA

View Full Version : What do you have for a bathing suit?

viba424
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I have a one piece and a bikini that are probably at least one size too small. I got a cute tankini from Lands End on friday but I dont really forsee myself using it a whole lot because DD is just 4 months old. I almost want to wait until next year. If anything, I would probably want it for getting a little sun.

Must everyone have a swimsuit? I know some people have several. I feel like its an important wardrobe item, but I'd almost rather have my money back until I can see using one. Thoughts?

g-mama
06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
We go to the pool almost every day in the summer, so I actually have a whole wardrobe of bathing suits, LOL. I've got about 8 different tankinis, some of which I can mix and match the bottoms and the tops. Some of the bottoms are bikini bottoms, others are skirts (short, not matronly) and one is a pair of board shorts from Athleta.

If you don't foresee going to the pool, I might not invest in bathing suits right now. I only have accumulated this many over years of going regularly to the pool with kids.

mommylamb
06-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I would want to have one just in case. It's summer time and you never know when you might have the opportunity to go swimming.

I only have 2 that I regularly use. They're both one-pieces, which fit my body better than tankinis or bikinis do. I like the lands end or eddie bauer suits.

wellyes
06-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I have a tankini from Lands End. I *love* their overstocks section online. Bottoms almost always under $10 and tops for $25 or less - and that's plus size, probably a whole lot more options for 'regular' size.

brittone2
06-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Tankini left over from post partum transition time after DD. Just picked up a cute 1 piece from Jantzen at Ross on friday. It is a crossover neckline in the front and I can pull it to the side to nurse DS2 at the pool. It also has some ruching that can sort of be moved around/scrunched up over the less flattering parts of my PP belly. Really flattering IMO. And 20 bucks.

mommylamb
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I have a tankini from Lands End. I *love* their overstocks section online. Bottoms almost always under $10 and tops for $25 or less - and that's plus size, probably a whole lot more options for 'regular' size.

After your reading your post, I couldn't resist checking out the overstocks. While I usually wear one pieces, I just bought a tankini- both pieces for less than $12 and free shipping.

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I spend the summer at the pool. I have a ton of mix and match bottoms and tankini tops. I have LE, Athleta, ON and a cute Target bottom that was just on clearance. Belly still isn't bikini ready (wonder if it will ever be b/c I have loose skin more than fat). I have a few 1 piece suits but I have been reserving those for when I am doing a swim workout.

Beth

brittone2
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I spend the summer at the pool. I have a ton of mix and match bottoms and tankini tops. I have LE, Athleta, ON and a cute Target bottom that was just on clearance. Belly still isn't bikini ready (wonder if it will ever be b/c I have loose skin more than fat). I have a few 1 piece suits but I have been reserving those for when I am doing a swim workout.

Beth

Ugggh. The skin. Bane of my existence. I will never, ever pull off a bikini because I have belly wrinkles :( Gross (mine, not yours~!!).

fivi2
06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I have two one pieces that are kind of meh. I also have a tankini/skirt from Lands End that I liked, but it is getting stretched out. None of their new ones fit as well (and I have tried a ton). My kids love the water, so as much as I hate wearing a bathing suit, there is no avoiding it here!

Babymakes3
06-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I will currently only wear a tankini and I only have 1 so that's that, otherwise I have a whole drawer full of bikinis. I am in FL and water is a staple for survival during the summer plus we have a boat and jetskis. I really need to invest in a few more tankinis so I don't have to do laundry so often.
I just bought a really cute pair of boardshorts from Kohls this weekend too.

TwinFoxes
06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I would want to have one just in case. It's summer time and you never know when you might have the opportunity to go swimming.

:yeahthat: I made an impromptu trip to the shore with my DDs to meet a friend last year, and was glad I had a bathing suit and didn't have to rush around trying to find one at a B&M store.

I have a Lands End tankini top with mini swim mini.

Top in orange: http://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensSolidVneckHalterSwimTop~199365_1766.html?bcc =y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PYJ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000134

Bottom in brown:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingWideWaistbandMiniSwimMini153~191347_59. html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::HNX&CM_MERCH=search-_-mini+swim+mini&origin=search

I wear that to swim classes with the girls. They constantly pull on my top, in the water. I wear a DDD, and if I had a bikini I would be giving everyone a show.

For fun in the sun (which hasn't happened yet this year) I just bought this bottom in Navy
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensSolidCoronadoMiniSwimMini~206920_59.html?bcc =y&action=order_more&sku_0=::OOK&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000134&origin=index

and the matching bikini top which is OOS, but is super cute, and surprisingly supportive...I haven't given it the toddler tug test though.

The mini-swim minis are actually kind of cute, I've convinced myself they're not too old lady. I'm having trouble finding bikini bottoms I like. The LE ones are too frumpy, and the other ones I see look too skimpy. It's a little sad, I used to like wearing bikinis, but I had to face reality. :)

viba424
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I got a bandeau top tankini and bottoms from LE last week. I must be cheap I guess....it was 40% but it was still $50! I like that style best though because I can tuck the straps in and avoid tan lines or the constricting feel of a halter (plus Im flat). So it got me thinking do I even need one if Ill just be dunking DD's feet in the water if at all because she is so young.

I tried a Boden tankini but the halter top style was so incredibly wide I felt really exposed and I didnt like the material. There is a cute one piece on LE overstocks but I want to hold out for a tankini.

Its a very good point to have one in case. We went to Las Vegas last year and I had nothing to wear to the pool.

This is the one I got
http://www.landsend.com/pp/VallettaPrintBandeauTankiniSwimTop~208769_593.html ?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::EIT&CM_MERCH=search-_-bandeau&origin=search

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
great thread. i have a maternity swimsuit but i'd like to find something non-maternity that i can wear, as i will be going swimming often this summer. a tankini/bottom combo sounds perfect bc i will need to buy them in different sizes (bottom will be small while top needs to be huge enough to accommodate wide shoulders + nursing boobs). do they have most of the Land's End tops/bottoms @ Sears? thing is, with these kinds of things, i always have to try them on. i don't want to order online bc 90% of anything i try on does not fit, so i'd hate to order online and then have to return everything.

brittone2
06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
great thread. i have a maternity swimsuit but i'd like to find something non-maternity that i can wear, as i will be going swimming often this summer. a tankini/bottom combo sounds perfect bc i will need to buy them in different sizes (bottom will be small while top needs to be huge enough to accommodate wide shoulders + nursing boobs). do they have most of the Land's End tops/bottoms @ Sears? thing is, with these kinds of things, i always have to try them on. i don't want to order online bc 90% of anything i try on does not fit, so i'd hate to order online and then have to return everything.

With LE, one nice thing is that I think you can order online and then return in store. So it might be worth *ordering* online, knowing you have the option to return in store (no worse then trekking there to try on in the first place, kwim?). Plus you get to try on in the privacy of your own home ;) I haven't ordered anything LE online in quite a while so you'll want to verify that just to be sure. Someone here will know :)

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
With LE, one nice thing is that I think you can order online and then return in store. So it might be worth *ordering* online, knowing you have the option to return in store (no worse then trekking there to try on in the first place, kwim?). Plus you get to try on in the privacy of your own home ;) I haven't ordered anything LE online in quite a while so you'll want to verify that just to be sure. Someone here will know :)

oh really? if that's the case, then i'll def try it out. especially for some of those tankini tops that are so cheap..(TwinFoxes, thanx for posting that link!)..i mean, for $5.99 it's worth a shot!

viba424
06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Be sure to note the cups size...some are DDD, etc

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Be sure to note the cups size...some are DDD, etc

thanks, i noticed that. is good bc with nursing, DDD is what i need. :tongue5: i was getting so tired of trying on regular swimsuits that did not provide adequate room/support!

viba424
06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
What do you think of this one? Why are there so many left? Its cute!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensPrintCoronadoHalterTankSwimsuit-24844_206962_593.html

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
^that's really cute! i love the print, esp in the ivory. i'd get it tho it's only in regular..

i just placed an order thru LE...four tankini tops, three bottoms and i think total was only $56 or something (found a free shipping code, yay). crazy! in overstock they have a ton of tops/bottoms for only $3.99, $5.99 etc. anyway, i don't think i need so many, just got a variety of colors/styles etc to try out (hard to tell color on a computer screen). and yeah i looked it up and u can return to any Sears with a Land's End store..there's one a few towns over so that will work. thx everyone for the links/advice etc!

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
What do you think of this one? Why are there so many left? Its cute!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensPrintCoronadoHalterTankSwimsuit-24844_206962_593.html

I think it's cute! My only concern with it is the metal at the top, in the cleavage. I always wonder if it would get really hot in the sun?
Beth

brittone2
06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Here's the LE return policy:

http://www.landsend.com/customerservice/returns/index.html

Can return to any Sears store with a LE dept/merchandise in it.

viba424
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Would a one piece even be desirable for a new mom, or would it be better to stick with a tankini style?

brittone2
06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Would a one piece even be desirable for a new mom, or would it be better to stick with a tankini style?

If you are BFing I'd go with a tankini (although there are some 1 pieces you can make work0. Otherwise, you might find a one piece you like and is flattering or a tankini...just preference and what looks good on you.

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I have a one-piece I bought just before I got pregnant (a cute, retro-inspired halter/underwire number I got at Target), a Victoria's Secret tankini I've had for years, two racing suits and a new tankini from Land's End.

I'll be using the new tankini next month for sure.

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

It depends.

Are you nursing? 2 pieces might be easier to nurse in than 1 piece, depending on the cut.

I opted for the tankini for the nursing access but also for C-section scar coverage. Oh, and the tummy coverage doesn't hurt, either.