PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon Training - Where to Start?

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
OK, I've declared my intention to do a half-triathlon after I wean my daughter next year-ish. (March/April, assuming she's on board with that!)

But I have no idea where to get information on training & motivation. I'll need to stay motivated and find training with a buddy helps me stay with my plans.

Where do I start?

jenmcadams
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm slammed right now and don't have time for a long reply, but I used to like the articles and discussion boards at trinewbies.com (I've done every tri distance from Sprint to Ironman). Also, you could look to see if there's any tri training groups in your areas...I live in Colorado where there are tons of triathletes and there are all sorts of newbie triathlon groups (everything from free through the YMCA to paid with professional coaches)

lizzywednesday
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm slammed right now and don't have time for a long reply, but I used to like the articles and discussion boards at trinewbies.com (I've done every tri distance from Sprint to Ironman). Also, you could look to see if there's any tri training groups in your areas...I live in Colorado where there are tons of triathletes and there are all sorts of newbie triathlon groups (everything from free through the YMCA to paid with professional coaches)

Thanks for the tip!

gatorsmom
06-16-2010, 01:28 AM
This might be totally unhelpful but maybe someone knows of this book. A few months ago I was talking to another mom about how I could never do a triathlon because I just can't run. I get winded so easily that i give up right away. She gave me 2 really helpful pieces of advice. 1- I'm probably running too fast and getting winded too quickly. She said I should just simply try to slow down and take smaller steps. That totally helped andd since I spoke to her, I have worked up to running a mile!!!! Woohoo!

The second thing she suggested was a book that tells you how to train for a triathlon. She had a book that contained charts detailing what to do each week for 12 weeks leading up to a triathlon. She photocopied one of the charts for me and I've been following it loosely for the past month. Unfortunatly I didn't write down the title. After searching a bit, I"m pretty sure this is the one she suggested: http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Training-Basics-Gale-Bernhardt/dp/1931382255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276665709&sr=1-1

Maybe other posters can chime in and tell of some books they would suggest. But the charts in this one really motivated me to try it because they are so absolutely doable. hth!

lizzywednesday
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
This might be totally unhelpful but maybe someone knows of this book. A few months ago I was talking to another mom about how I could never do a triathlon because I just can't run. I get winded so easily that i give up right away. She gave me 2 really helpful pieces of advice. 1- I'm probably running too fast and getting winded too quickly. She said I should just simply try to slow down and take smaller steps. That totally helped andd since I spoke to her, I have worked up to running a mile!!!! Woohoo!

The second thing she suggested was a book that tells you how to train for a triathlon. She had a book that contained charts detailing what to do each week for 12 weeks leading up to a triathlon. She photocopied one of the charts for me and I've been following it loosely for the past month. Unfortunatly I didn't write down the title. After searching a bit, I"m pretty sure this is the one she suggested: http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Training-Basics-Gale-Bernhardt/dp/1931382255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276665709&sr=1-1

Maybe other posters can chime in and tell of some books they would suggest. But the charts in this one really motivated me to try it because they are so absolutely doable. hth!

No, it actually is helpful!

I know already from my experience training to walk a breast cancer 2-day that you need to build your mileage gradually. (I had an overuse injury from a longer training session than my body was ready to do and that memory is still very vivid, although it was 6 years ago!)

Getting into running has always been a goal of mine and I can usually do a run/walk thing consistently without feeling wheezy, but I have trouble staying consistent about it.