PDA

View Full Version : How to plan 2 naps?

PMJ
06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I think I'm lost, actually I am VERY LOST..

It is so frustrating. Just when I thought I Understood this whole "sleep training".

DD is going to be 8 months soon. As I understand it, she should be moving to 2 naps during the day. The main problem is that the naps are not at the same time each day b/c :

1) she wakes up at different times each morning (usually around 5:45 or 6 am)

2) When she does nap in the am, it varies from 45 min to 1 hr and 15 min, so the next "scheduled" nap time gets affected

Recently, she does not even like to go down for naps. I'm rocking her, feeding her and doing everything I can before each nap - and it does not work. This is after being awake for 3 hrs. She did not appear to be too tired (today for ex.) and was actively playing and doing things.

PLEASE HELP :(

ssgg
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
When the child is on a schedule, it isn't necessarily the exact same time everyday....leave rm for some variation. Babies are not robots, just like adults are not robots. Sounds like she has a pretty consistent routine. Nap length will vary, that's ok. Waiting 3 hrs may be too long...mabe that is why she resists sleep. Look for early sleep signs and try to get her to her crib right away...it's easiest to fall asleep when we first start to feel sleepy, not after the adrenaline kicks in to help us stay awake. Try the book "Health Sleep Habits, Happy child" I thought it was very helpful, but a little dense and hard to get thru, but focus on the whatever pertains to your current situation. Good luck.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah, totally read that book if you haven't! The naptimes we do are roughly 8:45ish and 1:15ish. That's how it works out with the flow of our day. So by 9 and 2, basically.

PMJ
06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I will try the 9 and 2 thing.

OOps, I forgot to mention in my post that I have read that book by Dr. Weissbluth! which is why I'm so frustrated -- I feel like I'm doing all he has told me to !!!

MomToOne
06-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't know because my daughter was down to one nap at about that age and I haven't read that book but here's my two cents:

Nap and sleeping around here is usually timed by her waking/length of sleep time rather then the clock. So whatever time she wakes up in the morning I start looking for cues roughly five hours later. Then depending on how long the nap was and the quality of the sleep I try to anticipate what bedtime will be, usually just roughly five hours after waking.

Of course it's not a science and she throws me for a loop quite often but it is a just a thought to maybe help you change your perspective and see it in another light.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
I have read that book by Dr. Weissbluth! which is why I'm so frustrated -- I feel like I'm doing all he has told me to !!!

I remember feeling pretty bewildered around the 3 to 2 nap schedule thing as well. Friends set me straight, fortunately, and we got on track! I'm totally anxious about the dropping the morning nap stage we're on the verge of.