PDA

View Full Version : Valco Hitch Hiker

arivecchi
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Heads up, if anyone needs one, I had diapers.com price match Albee Baby and then used some credits I had so I got a good deal. Just in case anyone needs one.

strollerqueen
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
How did you decide to go with that one?

arivecchi
06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I've had one already so I know how it works. Also, the Buggy boards got bad reviews on Amazon. Do you have a rec SQ?

strollerqueen
06-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Nope. What you chose sounds good to me! :)

elektra
06-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Do you know if this would work on an MBUS?

arivecchi
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Do you know if this would work on an MBUS? I will try it out on my Swift tonight and let you know. :)

elektra
06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I will try it out on my Swift tonight and let you know. :)

Thanks. :thumbsup:

arivecchi
06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I got the Hitch Hiker today and it works with both the Indigo and the Mountain Buggy Swift!

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/ValcoHitchHiker#

I had diapers.com price match Albee Baby for those that are interested in getting one. :)

jgenie
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I got the Hitch Hiker today and it works with both the Indigo and the Mountain Buggy Swift!

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/ValcoHitchHiker#

I had diapers.com price match Albee Baby for those that are interested in getting one. :)

How long does it take to attach and remove? How old is your oldest? TIA

arivecchi
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
How long does it take to attach and remove? How old is your oldest? TIA I knew how to attach it already so it took me about 5 minutes but I must confess that it took me longer my first time. :) My oldest is 3.5 yo and 41 inches tall.

carolinamama
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Do you think this would work on a BJCC? I love that stroller and it would be the perfect day outing stroller (think zoo) but I love being able to have DS1 hop on the back of my P3 at the end of the day when he is exhausted and moving at the speed of a snail. This would seriously make me really happy if it would work.

roseyloxs
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
For the indigo it looks like the hitchhiker is pretty far out. Is that as close as you could attach it? Can you still walk comfortably with it attached like that?

Here is my hitchhiker attached to the BJCM.
photo (http://picasaweb.google.com/roseyloxs/Strollers#5481325775579842530)

PRmommy
06-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Do you think this would work on a BJCC? I love that stroller and it would be the perfect day outing stroller (think zoo) but I love being able to have DS1 hop on the back of my P3 at the end of the day when he is exhausted and moving at the speed of a snail. This would seriously make me really happy if it would work.

BJ is coming out with their own buggy board that should work on the Classic from the pics I've seen.
I think it's supposed to be available this summer.

georgiegirl
06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I had one and used it on my BJCE and I wasn't able to walk well with my 4 year old DD on it. I ended up selling it. I couldn't manage to get DD inside the handle (like in the pic someone posted above), so DD was far out and I had to move the handle all of the way up. And it was hard for me to walk with her on it. I think it is easier for DD to hitch a ride on the footwell instead.

arivecchi
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM
For the indigo it looks like the hitchhiker is pretty far out. Is that as close as you could attach it? Can you still walk comfortably with it attached like that?

Here is my hitchhiker attached to the BJCM.
photo (http://picasaweb.google.com/roseyloxs/Strollers#5481325775579842530) No. I did not adjust it at all for the Indigo. I just wanted to see whether it worked. I did adjust it to the Swift because we will use it with the Swift for the most part. :)

arivecchi
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Do you think this would work on a BJCC? I think so.

I couldn't manage to get DD inside the handle (like in the pic someone posted above), so DD was far out and I had to move the handle all of the way up. Did you adjust it so that the handles supporting the board were as short as possible? They do adjust so you can have the board pretty far out or really close to the stroller.

jacksmoma
06-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I had one and used it on my BJCE and I wasn't able to walk well with my 4 year old DD on it. I ended up selling it. I couldn't manage to get DD inside the handle (like in the pic someone posted above), so DD was far out and I had to move the handle all of the way up. And it was hard for me to walk with her on it. I think it is easier for DD to hitch a ride on the footwell instead.

i was thinking my 2 1/2 year old might be able to hitch a ride on a bj summit (same footwell as elite) as well? how does your little one fit in it? it would be for an odd ride when i need him to be safe/get somewhere faster :)

mikeys_mom
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM

I had the same problem on my BJCSD. It does work well on my Quest, though.

georgiegirl
06-11-2010, 07:35 AM
I think so.

Did you adjust it so that the handles supporting the board were as short as possible? They do adjust so you can have the board pretty far out or really close to the stroller.

Yes but she couldn't manage to fit her head through the handle bar comfortably. (She's 4 and 41" or so). Maybe because there's a parent console there? So then I moved the board really far out, and I couldn't walk with her riding on it. So I moved the board a bit closer and put the handlebar all of the way up...but it was still awkward. I figured it was easier to have her riding in the footwell for free.

When she's riding on the footwell, the push is harder of course (since there's 36 lbs of child up on the front wheel), and I don't think I'd be able to manage pushing it up hill. But if we are taking a walk, and she gets tired, I can definitely push her for a while on the footwell. She also entertains DS (10.5 mo)...who does sometimes kick her while she's in the footwell...LOL.

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh, I see. Yes, I think a parent console would make it harder. I did not have a parent console in the old Valco Trimode or the Swift. My DS was 41 inches tall at his last appt. I will have him hop on the board and take pics of him in it. We did use it with the Valco Trimode before. FWIW, the board was all the way out on that one and my feet would not kick the board.

What I like about the Valco HH is that it adjusts not only in the connectors holding the board to the stroller, but that you can also adjust the board up and down. I had to install it pretty high up in the MB Swift so that the connectors would clear the huge MB Swift brakes.

carolinamama
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM

Maybe I'll hold off for now then. I don't have a parent console on mine since I only have the CC so it may work. I'm going to try DS1 on the footwell and see how that works. I can just see it now though - DS2 will be trying to kick him off! :tongue5: He's a fiesty one for sure. DS1 is small for his age so it just may work. Thanks for the help.

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Carolinamama, you could always order it from diapers.com and try it out inside your home. If it does not work, you can always return it!

elektra
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the pictures arivecchi!
I think the Swift is narrower than the MBUS though right? Would that matter with how the Hitchhiker works?

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the pictures arivecchi!
I think the Swift is narrower than the MBUS though right? Would that matter with how the Hitchhiker works? I don't think so because the Valco Trimode is wider than the Swift and it was designed for that stroller.

arivecchi
06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Used the HH with the Swift yesterday. It works great! I pushed the connectors all the way in and DS fit great between the stroller and the handlebar. I actually like how it works with the Swift better than with the Valco Trimode as DS has lots of clearance over the Swift canopy and can hang on to the handlebar or the stroller. :thumbsup:

jacksmoma
06-12-2010, 10:55 AM
i thought it would work well on your swift since i had a board on my indie and it fit well for my two year old- those two strollers seem to have a similar size height etc. how was it making turns with a rider on the board? i could not for the life of me turn my old indie with a rider on the board...

arivecchi
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
i thought it would work well on your swift since i had a board on my indie and it fit well for my two year old- those two strollers seem to have a similar size height etc. how was it making turns with a rider on the board? i could not for the life of me turn my old indie with a rider on the board... Super easy! The stroller steered easily!

arivecchi
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Adding pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCMj0kZCnhsWpVA#