PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in OP: The sickest I've ever been in my life...

Cam&Clay
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
thanks to the woman who brought her kid to school with strep.

I had a book fair in the library last week. A woman came in on Friday with her son. Not realizing that the boy was actually absent that day from school, I hugged him and talked to him about the books his mom was buying for him. While we were chatting, she mentioned that he was absent that day and he had, that day, been diagnosed with strep. I have no resistance to strep, even after 15 years of teaching.

I washed my hands and hoped for the best. The sore throat started Sunday afternoon. By bedtime, my fever was up to 104 and my head was killing me. Monday morning, I got up (not planning to go to work but to the military clinic) to wake DS1 for school. I passed out on his bedroom floor. He ran to get DH who was luckily here (usually he isn't here during the week). My fever was 105. DH insisted we skip the clinic and head straight for the ER.

I was so sick that I didn't care where he took me. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me glorious pain meds for the godawful headache I had and antibiotics for the strep. By mid-day, my fever was still 103 and I felt no better so they did a spinal tap. They were unsuccessful and sent me to have it done again in radiology. The tests were negative. It turns out that it was all just a severe case of strep.

Since I have no leave left since my mother died in November, I'd really like to charge that woman the $35 ER co-pay and the $600 in lost wages for the 2 days of work I've missed.

UPDATE:

So, my original ER trip was on Monday. As of Friday afternoon, I still had a raging headache and suspected that I had a spinal tap headache, which happens when the holes which were punched in your spine don't close up. You continue to leak spinal fluid. Back to the ER we went late last night. Sure enough, they had to do a bloodpatch. They draw a huge tube of your blood and then insert another needle into your spine and inject the blood into your spine in hopes that the blood will clot and clog up the holes. They did the procedure and it worked. No more headache. But now my back hurts. AAAGGGGHHHHHH! We didn't get home until 2 AM.

So, now the woman with the kid with strep has caused me to have 3 days missed from work, 3 spinal procedures, 2 IVs, one course of antibiotics, and 3 different prescriptions for pain medication.

I wish I knew a way to let her know, but chances of seeing her at school before school ends are pretty slim.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
omg. that sucks, i'm so sorry. :hug: what was that woman thinking?? that makes no sense, she lets her sick kid skip school but then takes him to a book fair?? :shake:

Uno-Mom
06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Has anyone ever told a person how sick you got after they exposed you to something?

I contracted H1N1 while 8.5 months pregnant after certain co-workers refused to stay home while sick. I was SO angry! It could have been extremely serious.

I did tell them later when I eventually returned to work wearing a mask. (The doc said I wasn't contagious anymore but because I was still coughing she recommended a mask.) By that time I was able to be nice about it, saying I was sure they didn't mean to make people sick, but that there were other vulnerable individuals around besides me and I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

wendibird22
06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
OMG! That's awful. Strep as an adult sucks big time. Feel better soon!

wellyes
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
I got strep in college and completely wiped me out. It's nasty. I'm so sorry.
I'd write a "polite" note to that parent, seriously.

DrSally
06-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm so sorry. that's horrible. And the H1N1 when pregnant. My gosh. I'm glad pp told the man who came to work with it.

boogiemomz
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM
So sorry! sounds absolutely awful... hope you feel better soon! :hug:

Indianamom2
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
That sounds absolutely miserable. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.

I can understand that we all have brought kids who were sick to school...but we didn't know it at the time.

To intentionally inflict that is just wrong.

Hope you're feeling better.

bubbaray
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm so sorry. Hope you are better soon.

KathyN115
06-08-2010, 11:06 PM
That sounds terrible! I hope you feel better soon, and thank goodness your DH was home!

JustMe
06-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry!

ThreeofUs
06-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm so sorry! That's terrible -- horrible in many different ways. Hope you recover quickly.

Cam&Clay
06-12-2010, 05:56 PM
bump for update

Fairy
06-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh gosh. I am so sorry to hear it! I'm sending you big time health vibes!

bubbaray
06-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Why don't you try filing a workers compensation claim? It might be hard to prove, but its worth a try.

ThreeofUs
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh, my gosh, Susan. I'm so very sorry this happened to you and I hope you feel better soon.

(((hugs)))

boogiemomz
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
so sorry, susan! how awful... hope the pain subsides quickly! (((hugs)))

WatchingThemGrow
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow. I am just sickened to hear about all you've been through! I would look at worker's comp. as well.

amandabea
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Seriously, that's just awful. You poor thing. I hope you continue to feel better.

carolinamama
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I really hope you are feeling back to normal soon. That sounds awful.

ewpmsw
06-12-2010, 10:12 PM
That just sounds miserable. I hope that you're feeling better soon and that she didn't cause anyone else to be infected with strep. I agree that a politely worded letter might be a good idea.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-12-2010, 11:15 PM
That is just irresponsible risking others getting infected. It irritates me when people are , IMO selfish.

:grouphug: SO sorry!

niccig
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Can the principal sent out a letter at the beginning of the year going over the school's sick policies and also include "if your child is sick and can not attend school, they must not be on school grounds for ANY reason." that is, if your kid has strep, you can not bring them to the book fair!!! It would also give you a chance to tell the mother to leave once she told you that he had strep. Granted it would have been too late for you, but not for anyone else.

DUH!!! DS had H1N1 and I was supposed to work at the book fair, so I called and let them know I could not do my hours. I didn't have any one to look after him, and didn't want to spread it if I was sick too - turned out I was not sick, but i didn't know that.

MamaMolly
06-12-2010, 11:36 PM
That so completely stinks. I'm not in favor of a letter but I wouldn't be above blabbing it from one end of the school to the other. Let the magic Gossip wheel crush her.

mom2binsd
06-13-2010, 03:02 AM
That so completely stinks. I'm not in favor of a letter but I wouldn't be above blabbing it from one end of the school to the other. Let the magic Gossip wheel crush her.

I was just thinking, you must know someone who is known for their powers to spread the word.....I can not believe you have had to go through all of that, I hope you start to feel better soon.

When I was pregnant with DS I was exposed to Fifth's at my elementary school/place of work....when the mom of the boy found out (not from me) that he had exposed me (and two other pregnant staffers) she was very apologetic/was beside herself and worried about me my whole pregnancy. With Fifth's they don't know until afterwards, but it was still good to know and we all had to be monitored by our OB's- I don't have the immunity to Fifths.

The mom mentioned to me that Fifth's had gone crazy in her DS's Primary class (Mormon sunday school) and about about 90% of the kids in my school go to the same Mormon church...our principal sent out a letter to parents to please contact the school whenever a child had any type of illness, as it's important for staff to know, even after the fact.

daniele_ut
06-14-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry! I came down with strep last weekend as well, and was completely and totally miserable. I didn't realize what it was, but a good friend suggested it could be strep and was correct. It was an awful 3 days and I don't wish that on anyone! I'm glad you are feeling better.

Melbel
06-14-2010, 07:50 AM
What a nightmare! I can see why you would be so furious. I have overheard parents talking about how their child was home sick from school, but they still took them to the gym child care. :banghead::6: Strep is highly contagious before the antibiotics kick in, so this is an absolute no brainer.

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery. :grouphug: