PDA

View Full Version : What's the poop on swim diapers?

liamsmom
06-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Sorry, I know it's a bad pun but I couldn't let it go.

Seriously, though, what exactly are they for? Why do they work better than real diapers in water? Do they not absorb as much water? Do they still handle messes as well as a real diaper? Are they just a cover? What is the deal? TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Disposable ones don't inflate like a regular disposable would in the water. Pee goes through, poop stays contained, the sides rip off so you don't get a poopy mess everywhere when you change the diaper.

Reusable ones, same deal only you launder them if there is a mess.

Beth

maestramommy
06-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Swim diapers do not absorb water. So they don't hold in pee (or not much anyway). They are soley to contain poop. So in public pools your DC is required to wear a swim diaper inside their suit, if they wear one. If your DC wore a regular disposable, it would swell up like a balloon after absorbing all that water, and I don't think it would hold in poop well after that.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Swim diapers do not absorb water. So they don't hold in pee (or not much anyway). They are soley to contain poop. So in public pools your DC is required to wear a swim diaper inside their suit, if they wear one. If your DC wore a regular disposable, it would swell up like a balloon after absorbing all that water, and I don't think it would hold in poop well after that.

:yeahthat:

i used to put regular disposables on DS when he took a bath (at 1-2 mo of age) bc back then he would be pooing all the time and we wanted to prevent poo getting in the bathtub water and rendering his bath useless. anyway when immersed in water disposable dipes swell up like CRAZY (sometimes so much that they burst in some parts, asnd those little crystals get everywhere) and indeed, don't contain poo entirely.

i just tried some swim diapers on DS when we went in the pool (lil' swimmers brand) and yeah, they don't swell up like disposable diapers do.

jerigirl
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Just remember- because they don't hold urine, wait until you are at your destination to put them on. Or you will have a wet carseat!

liamsmom
06-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Thank you all so much! Especially that part about waiting until we're at the pool to put on the diaper. I can see myself learning that the hard way....:hysterical:

sariana
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Our association requires swim dipes AND plastic pants until age 4. We have a (fake) lagoon with sand, and having urine get through would contaminate the goose poop, oh, I mean the sand.

sariana
06-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you all so much! Especially that part about waiting until we're at the pool to put on the diaper. I can see myself learning that the hard way....:hysterical:

I learned it the hard way, only it wasn't in the car seat. It was on the merry-go-'round at the boardwalk. :bag

Shouldn't the packaging SAY it is not designed to stop pee?

pharmjenn
06-09-2010, 05:17 AM
My sister learned that also, except just carrying her nephew, so it got all over her!
So the other lesson is don't keep them in the swim diaper too long outside the water, because if you are carrying them to the restaurant for lunch, you may notice your suit and shorts are wet all over again!

wencit
06-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Just remember- because they don't hold urine, wait until you are at your destination to put them on. Or you will have a wet carseat! Thank you for mentioning this! I have a 4-year-old who is completely potty trained, but we're about to go through the swim diaper phase all over again with our 10-month-old. I had NO CLUE about swim diapers not holding pee. I guess DS1 must have held it in, because there were many times I put him in a swim diaper before driving off. I must have gotten very lucky!

Now I know what not to do with DS2. I can't believe I never realized this.

llama8
06-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Wow!

I had no idea swim diapers don't hold pee. I was going to use them on my 6 month old at the pool. I am so glad I read this. I would have definitely put them on prior to departing for the pool. I am sure I would have had a mess.

I can't believe the Huggies Little Swimmers package doesn't have that info on the package!!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
^i know, right. i have the Lil' Swimmers pack here and i'm looking and looking and nowhere does it say anything about how it doesn't hold in pee. But I know i read it somewhere though (maybe online) when i was researching reusable swim dipes, and there was a note saying it doesn't absorb water, just contains solid waste...and i figured disposables were the same. Good thing so i knew to wait to put them on DS when we went to the pool at a friend's house a few weeks ago.

peanut520
06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Just remember- because they don't hold urine, wait until you are at your destination to put them on. Or you will have a wet carseat!

that explains a lot!

OKKiddo
06-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I use cloth swim diapers. I also cloth diaper part time (when we're out for a whole day I prefer to not worry about hubby forgetting the wetbag in the car for a week). I have tried the disposable swim diapers but they annoy me when it comes time to take them off. Even if I just rip them. I have the Bummis cloth swim diapers and got them both new for $12. They have been used on both of my kiddos (one is now potty trained) and the cost of those two swim diapers are all I had to spend for the last three summers. That's it, $24. Three summers worth of disposable swim diaper would surely have cost me a lot more than that!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cloth+swim+diaper&x=0&y=0