PDA

View Full Version : scooter for a 5.5 yr old

HIU8
06-10-2010, 10:10 AM
DS wants a scooter. At his age should I be looking at the 3 wheeled or 2 wheeled versions? I was thinking 2 for core balance work. Just checking here to see what other mom's have done. Also, I can't spend a lot. I was thinking of CL.

hillview
06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I feel like there is such a range here. DS2 might be fine with 2 wheels next year (when he is 3.5). DS1 is less inclined and prefers to be "safe" so at 5 he will still use the 3 wheeled one.

Does he bike without training wheels?
/hillary

HIU8
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
He just got a bike an it has the TW's on it. We are about to raise them up to force him to stabilize better. He is ok with this. DD just got a 3 wheeled scooter for her bday and DS rides it. His OT wants him to continue working on core balance (she loves the strides he has made since getting his bike--he rides it daily for at least 30-60 minutes at a time--boy is in love with this bike). I didn't want to spend $$ on a 3 wheeled version if the 2 wheeled version is more appropriate for him. Not sure what to do yet.

willow33
06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
My just turned 5 year old has a Razor (two-wheeled) scooter and he does great on it. It took a bit of practice, but he now flies around the driveway. He does know that he has to wear his helmet on the scooter though. I would go with the 2-wheel one. I think it will get more use long-term. I think we paid around $30 on amazon for it.

bubbaray
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
There was a recent thread here on scooters.

DD#1 got a 2wheeled Razor for her 6th b-day. Really, she could have used it MUCH earlier. Definitely at 5, probably at 4 with some practice. She has excellent balance & strength, though.

The Razor is an excellent quality product and I highly recommend it.

HTH

o_mom
06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
My just turned 3 yo can use a 2-wheel one and DS2 could do it earlier than that. I think even with his issues, the 2 wheel is more appropriate. The three wheel doesn't seem like it would really help anything.

The RazorA or AW is usually around $30 full price, $25 on sale and $20 or less on super sale.

KrisM
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I'd get a 2 wheeled for sure. DS got a Razor on his 5th birthday and we since picked up another for DD, who just turned 4. She is more cautious in general, but was riding the 2-wheel at the end of last summer, at 3.5.

Both my kids were on 2-wheels on the bike before owning a scooter though. I don't know if that makes a real difference or not.

hellokitty
06-11-2010, 03:25 PM
We got my 6 and 4 yr olds razors about a month ago. In fact, I kind of have this theory in my head that when kids learn to use razors (two wheeled scooters) and balance, it helps them to learn how to ride a bike more easily. My two boys just learned how to ride their bikes in a, "learn how to ride a bike day" last wknd (run by the peds physical therapy dept at the hospital), and my DH observed our kids and other kids and he told me the same thing. He thinks that being able to balance using a razor really helped our kids grasp riding bikes w/o training wheels pretty quickly. FWIW, we do have a balance bike (the target one), but it wasn't something as helpful as it could have been. I feel like the razor's as less intimidating that the balance bikes.

clc053103
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
So jealous about the "learn to ride a bike day"- wish they had one here!

DS rode a 2 wheel scooter well as soon as he was given one at 4- even does little tricks on it. And he still is using training wheels on his bike. I am about to go out and see if we can work on learning to ride his bike....he likes the Razor so much that he avoids his bike.

MissyAg94
06-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Definitely two wheels!

And I agree that learning to balance on a two-wheel scooter is great for learning to ride a bike.