PDA

View Full Version : Castille soap

PunkyBoo
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
So I bought some peppermint castille soap last week, and have no idea what to do with it. Please post your favorite uses! Please include quantities as I'm clueless!!
Thanks!

Reina
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...

one teaspoon of castile soap and a quart of water will clean and shine leather (couch, purse, shoe...). just spray and wipe with terry cloth. Also... Due to its viscosity, the same solution can be used as a dusting aid. Instead of using Glad or Febreeze enhanced Swiffer toxic melange sprays, you can use this simple solution while dusting. Dust really keeps away for a few days from the cleaned surfaces...

2 tablespoons of castile soap in a gallon of very hot (NOT boiling) water is a rug/carpet cleaning solution. take a cleaning towel. dip it in the hot water (please wear protective rubber gloves. we don't want you burning your hands), squeeze excess water out and rub into the rug. wait about an hour for the rug to dry and vacuum. especially pure wool and silk oriental rugs will shine brilliantly after this treatment.

you can wash your body and face with castile soap.

mix one part castile soap with one part baking soda for the ultimate gentle scrubbing solution for countertops, sinks, shower enclosures, etc. Add some distilled vinegar for a more powerful scrub or to just entertain the neighborhood kids... (the same solution with vinegar also works wonders for removing set-in stains from fabrics.)

mix a tablespoon of castile soap 2 cups of distilled vinegar and a gallon of very hot (not boiling water) in a bucket and mop mop mop away those hardwood (or tile) floors to a bling !

p.s. please use terry cloth towels or reusable wipe cloths for cleaning. paper towels are a waste on this earth... for more recipes, don't hesitate to pm me.

TwoBees
06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
This is fantastic, thanks!

Does the cleaning solution need to be rinsed off?

TwinFoxes
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Seriously, thanks! I've only been using ours as hand soap.

Ceepa
06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...

Have you found the dishwashing liquid improves the cleaning power? I don't ususally add it.

mommymy
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!

hillview
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I just made up counter spray with ~ 2 tbsp and water. Not sure how it will work :)
/hillary

crl
06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I squirt about a tablespoon into the bathtub, dump about a 1/4 cup of baking soda on top and use a microfiber cloth or a sponge to scrub the bathtub with the resulting paste. Same for the bathroom sink, just smaller amounts.

Catherine

Reina
06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Have you found the dishwashing liquid improves the cleaning power? I don't ususally add it.

Since castile is a rather viscous and oily soap, I find that using just a bit of dishwashing detergent cuts that oiliness down and finishes with a streak free end result. I use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds and/or Ecover dishwashing liquid. This is for the general cleaning solution. I do my quick clean-ups with this.

1964pandora
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I used to buy those gallon jugs of Dr. Bronner's. Does anyone know where you can get those for the best price? Thanks in advance.

Reina
06-10-2010, 07:43 PM
This is fantastic, thanks!

Does the cleaning solution need to be rinsed off?

Depends on the surface. If you spray it on bathroom or kitchen counters, no rinsing necessary. If you are spraying it on the floor, you might want to wipe with a wet towel first and then a dry one to avoid slipping.
Considering, I used to spray commercial cleaners such as Fantastik and Clorox on those surfaces and just wipe without rinsing... God knows what kinds of chemicals I left behind that would touch our food and skin. These simple solutions are not toxic... But if you want to rinse, sure that would work too ...

Reina
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!

Yes.. The fine print on the bottles are all mumbo jumbo. I don't know why they do that. I actually found the silly writings rather irritating when I first started using castile soap. Now I ignore the writings, experiment on my own, ask my mom, ask my grandmother and her maid who's been with her since the 70's. they now live together. and the woman knows real cleaning!, I also ask chemist friends regarding mixing different simple chemical compounds to achieve non-toxic cleansers... I've gone vinegar, castile soap and baking soda crazy...

wendibird22
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.

Reina
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.

the bar soap is a slightly different chemical compound since it's solid. you'd have to melt it in order to bring it to the consistency you want. cutting the bar soap to 1/2 inch cubes and then melting in hot water as needed, would get you the cleaning solution... 1 bar should get you 30 tablespoons of liquid soap.

MamaKath
06-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I have found it at Target, Whole Foods, Safeway, Giant, Shoppers, Landis' and numerous other chain/grocery stores. You sometimes have to look a bit, but often it is near the Burts Bees products.

Reina, thanks for the specifics. I also use it in hot water to mop the kitchen/bathroom floors. Our cleaning products are vinegar, castile soap, baking soda, and lemon juice. DH sometimes comments that we smell as fresh as a salad, but we are both happier without the horrible chemicals!

MamaKath
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!
Lol, I always think how it defeats the saving water purpose of some of the tips. How much longer people spend in the shower trying to read it has to waste quite a bit!!! ;)

Reina
06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
DH sometimes comments that we smell as fresh as a salad, but we are both happier without the horrible chemicals!

I do an olive oil mask and then rinse my hair with vinegar, once in a blue moon. DH calls it the human hair salad. LOL
We are all better off without the harsh chemicals. I read the actual list of ingredients in Fantastik all purpose cleaning solution. I felt dirty after reading it... Really...

mommymy
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
After spraying on the mixture of the castille soap do I need to let it sit for 5 minutes? or can I spray and wipe down things?

I understand the salad joke now! I just cleaned the bathroom sinks and it smells like vinegar even with the peppermint castille soap added! lol

Thanks.

PunkyBoo
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the great tips! What amount do mix with water to make hand soap or body wash? Or do you use it straight for that??

wendibird22
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I mopped the other day with Dr. Bronners, vinegar and hot water. I think it cleaned great but seemed to leave a streaky film/residue on the floor (laminate) which is attracting more dirt/grime. We use a yarn mop. Any suggestions?

Smillow
08-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I mopped the other day with Dr. Bronners, vinegar and hot water. I think it cleaned great but seemed to leave a streaky film/residue on the floor (laminate) which is attracting more dirt/grime. We use a yarn mop. Any suggestions?

Mop again w/just vinegar & water?

gatorsmom
08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Seriously, thanks! I've only been using ours as hand soap.

Me too! But I love it for that. 1 part liquid castille soap to 5 parts water (I think this was egoldbers recipe and it's a good one) in a foaming handsoap dispense makes wonderful foaming hand soap. I love it because it does a good job but it rinses off quickly (important for impatient kids).

writermama
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I refill foam soap containers with about a TSP or two of castille soap, fill to the top with water and shake.

I kill ants with a solution of Castille soap and water (add 4 1/2 Tablespoons soap to 24 oz spray bottle, fill with water, shake to mix. To use, shake and spray directly onto ants.)