PDA

View Full Version : Do bigger maternity clothes make you look more PG?

luckytwenty
06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I am borrowing maternity clothes from three different people and many of them are larger sizes than I would have bought if shopping for myself. It seems like whenever I wear these dresses, I get the, "Wow, you are HUGE for 5 months!" comments, or "Boy did you pop since the last time I saw you!" Not sure if it's the type of dress (a lot of baby doll "work" type dresses with the tie in the back) or the size. I do think I look very different in casual clothes than dressy ones--my belly is much more dramatic looking in a dress!

lizzywednesday
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
On 'what not to wear' they always say that looser clothing makes you look bigger, so that's probably part of it.

The baby doll style, OTOH, can make anybody look preggo, so why wouldn't it make someone who's already there look more so?

luckytwenty
06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Very good point. If I weren't such a cheapskate maybe I'd go out and buy some maternity sheath dresses! Next time I get a "huge" comment I will have to blame it on the babydoll dress. :-)

kozachka
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Absolutely. The same principle applies to non-pregnant women as well. Fit is key to looking good no matter the size.

Andi98989
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Yup, it will definitely make you look bigger. Heck my appropriately sized maternity tops made me look huge when I wore them before I filled them out.

ETA: I paid full-price for very few pieces of maternity clothing; I got most of it off of Craigslist or at garage sales.