PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this issue?

swissair81
06-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm 28 weeks. I think that's pretty respectable in terms of how far along I am. Just about everywhere I go, people ask me how far along I am. Inevitably, after I tell them, the next comment is: oh you have quite a ways to go. Gee thanks. Can't you think of anything more helpful to say? Why don't you say, 'oh wow, you're getting there.' Am I the only weirdo who is immensely bothered by this?

bubbaray
06-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey, you're over half way there! You're doing great -- way to go! :cheerleader1:

Pretty much every comment people made while I was PG was inappropriate. I particularly loved "are you sure of your EDD? You're HUGE!". Um, yeah, thanks. WTF? Like I didn't notice I was freakin' HUGE?!?!

People are just stupid. There is something about being around a PG woman that makes people say even more stupid things than usual.

swissair81
06-11-2010, 04:40 PM
At least no one asks me if I will breastfeed. Considering I nursed ds until he was 16 months (would have been longer, but my milk disappeared in my 4th month), I think most people know the answer to that question.

The funny part is that people say 'you have quite a ways to go' right up until they start saying 'WHAT? You're still around?' Seriously, why are these people rushing? I'm not. I have plenty to do in the next 3 months. I'm not ready yet.

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, at least that is better than "Are you expecting twins?" I got that one a few times. Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

28 weeks is great! You are getting close to the finish line!

swissair81
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I actually want someone to tell me I'm huge. I'm measuring several weeks behind & my doctor is getting nervous. The 'wow, you look great!' comments don't help. (I did try to remind him that my biggest baby was 6lbs5oz, but...)

bubbaray
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
At least no one asks me if I will breastfeed.

Oh, yeah. Let's talk about that, shall we?

I had a former male coworker give me $h!t for weaning DD#2 at 12m. He was a physician turned lawyer (who actually had never practiced medicine and had not passed his bar exams yet). Like, really, dude. I don't really know you. I don't like you (esp. not after that discussion). And, frankly, they are MY boobs and I'd really rather they not be the topic of office discussion. In the freakin' hallway.

Sheesh.

swissair81
06-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Didn't you know that everything is everybody's business? You have to please them all at the same time (which is freakin impossible). What kind of childbirth plan you have, how you feed you kid, what they wear, how you discipline...ending off at how much you saved for their college education and wedding. Just wait until after all that caring, you become a meddlesome mother-in-law.

firemama
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that's rude. Like PP said, people say stupid things around PG women. I am very small, so I get these comments: "Really?!? You're so tiny, where is your stomach?" or "I looked like that when I was only 3 months, or 5 months" or "you only have a month left, you're too small." It's like back-handed compliments. I guess I should be happy/lucky I am not gaining a lot or too much weight. My doctor has always said (now I see a midwife) that I was below average to average in weight gain, and my stomach always measured where it should. My mom also gained the same way I am.

It still hurts though! I really don't take it personally and get upset. But it's like they almost want me to feel bad for being so small. I can't help it! I also would never dream of going up to a pregnant woman and saying, whoa! you gained a lot of weight! Are you almost due? It's ludicrous!

swissair81
06-11-2010, 04:56 PM
As long as they keep their hands off...

sunnyside
06-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm so far along, I dread going out in public. I don't want people to talk to me LOL.

swissair81
06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
By 36 weeks (after 5 weeks of preterm labor with number 2), my mil (who I think was trying to be comforting) told me that I will be overdue. I basically stopped talking to her. DD2 was born at 36 weeks & 5 days.

elizabethkott
06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm getting really sick of the comments, too.
I've gotten:
Are you sure it's not twins?
Um, yeppers. Pretty d@mn sure.

Are you going to make it?
Well, we *did* "make it", and look where I am now.

Wow! You're HUGE!
(I have actually responded with the following) Unless you're the person who put the baby there or the one who will take the baby out, do NOT comment on a pregnant woman's size. (That's resulted in more than one dropped jaw, but if those people NEVER say something like that to another pregnant woman again, then I feel VERY justified in saving some other poor woman that kind of hurt!)

People are idiots. Don't even get me started on the belly-touchers. There's a special place in he!! for them. I am not ashamed to admit that I *growled* at a woman at work for rubbing my belly without permission. Like an actual GROWL. She avoids me like the plague now. :D

fumofu
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I haven't gotten much rude comments, but then I'm very anti-social so that cuts out on a lot of conversations up right. :)

My high school classmate just gave birth to a 11 lb-baby, posted via Facebook. And although my inside voice said, "Wow, that's a huge baby," I just congratulated her family and commented on what a cutie her DS is, which he is! I feel bad because every other comment was on his size, even from fellow moms. Not cool.

DrSally
06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
My favorites are:

Are you sure it's not twins
That baby has sure dropped, don't go into labor here!
You're fat!
You used to be skinny

ewpmsw
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I was big to begin with, but have been obviously pregnant for several months. I don't mind being asked the benign stuff (when are you due? etc) by strangers. It's annoying for people to reassure me they just can't tell. I'm heavy, but come on, people. My middle sticks out high above my waistband in an egg shape - Not the usual fat lady look, except for fat ladies who are carrying a Thanksgiving turkey under their blouse.

I think people feel like they have to say something to a pregnant woman and some have no idea what's appropriate. Guess it's practice for all the stupid comments (and unwelcome touching) we have to deal with once the kids are here.