PDA

View Full Version : Leapster Explorer?

WatchingThemGrow
06-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Anyone have it yet? DD got a Leapster 2 for her birthday a few weeks ago. I'd gotten a HUGE bargain on the website (like $45 for leapster, 2 games, headphones!) and it has a dot on the screen. I was going to have them replace it, but I think I really need to return it and just upgrade to the new one. Problem is...I have games I prebought :( I'll need to get rid of all them somehow. Return to Amazon, etc.? eek.

The Explorer version looks a lot better graphically.

Gena
06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Oooh. I didn't realize the Explorer was out yet, but I figured it would be soon when I saw the Leapster 2 on clearance everywhere. I've been watching for the Explorer ever since I participated in a parent survey about it (the product was still in the concept stage, so not hands-on). It looks very cool and it seems like they have included some of the suggestions from the parents.

Looking around online, it looks like its still on pre-order everywhere.

WatchingThemGrow
06-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Somehow, I never got wind of it until this morning's email..

I should sell off all the games I collected for the Leapster 2, right? The newer ones would probably be a lot better, even if we only get one or two, right?

kristac
06-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I would think the old games would be compatable ? no?? I got the email this morning as well. Looks really great! It's definately going on our christmas wish list. I think the only people who have one right now got a free one from Leapster as part of the trial.

ETA: NO- they are not compatable: From leapfrog-

Leapster Explorer is several “tech " generations ahead of our other Leapster platforms. In order to deliver the premium, powerful mobile learning experiences it’s capable of, we had to make the difficult decision to "break" with Leapster game compatibility. If we had maintained cartridge compatibility, we would have lost much of the functionality, like finger-touch screen; hi-resolution, 3-D graphics; and video and e-Books playability, that makes Leapster Explorer such a phenomenon. We will continue to support Leapster2 with a 40+ title library, including new games every year.

Little dissappointed in that.

scrooks
06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing when I got the email. So it's like the Leapster 2 but better? We don't have a leapster 2 yet but was wondering when DD would be ready. Maybe for xmas? She will be 3.5 at that point.

hillview
06-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting the leapster2 is not WAY lower (it is basically the same price it was 2 months ago). Random comment. Now back to your thread.
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
06-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Interesting the leapster2 is not WAY lower (it is basically the same price it was 2 months ago). Random comment. Now back to your thread.
/hillary
Right..well, the new one isn't technically released yet. Hoping they'll refund the defective L2 unit and I can sell the games cheaply.