PDA

View Full Version : Toys for two month old

crl
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Am I missing something great for this age group?

DD has an Ikea activity gym (shows minor interest), a couple of wooden rattles (no interest), and a mirror (shows minor interest). We have lots of board books, some small balls, play silks, and a few stuffed animal/lovey type things (seems to like being read to, no interest in the rest of it yet). I have a Sophie ready for teething. We have more things for a year and up, left from ds.

She's already figured out how to roll over both ways and has some head control. I'm not a huge fan of plastic, battery operated things, but we have a few around, including a swing and bouncy seat.

I was thinking of watching CL for a jumper of some kind. I was also thinking maybe a different rattle would get more interest?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Catherine

katydid1971
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
At that age I put a mirror on the ground for DC to look at themselves with. They both would just stare at the baby in the mirror with such wonder. I'm shocked that a baby at two months can roll over, that is super early, poor mommy. Now you have to be super careful on the bed/changing table, etc

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
The play gym thing was all we really used at that age, along with a mirror like pp suggested. Too young for a jumpy thing. Things with faces, things with high contrast- those are the most popular. I liked the Lamaze brand Clutch Cube.

Beth

crl
06-13-2010, 04:19 PM
At that age I put a mirror on the ground for DC to look at themselves with. They both would just stare at the baby in the mirror with such wonder. I'm shocked that a baby at two months can roll over, that is super early, poor mommy. Now you have to be super careful on the bed/changing table, etc

I know! She rolled tummy to back at four weeks, four days. I actually posted to the lounge in a panic that she's going to crawl and walk early too. I have an older child and I figured had more time to baby proof, etc. She's a little interested in the mirror, but it's not a huge hit. Thanks!

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
See if one of your friends still has a Fisher Price Kick n Play bouncy seat from back the day of your 1st. That is fun.

Or one of these cause and effect pianos:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3565459

I like a lot of the Lamaze toys:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2574127&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary

Beth

crl
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
The play gym thing was all we really used at that age, along with a mirror like pp suggested. Too young for a jumpy thing. Things with faces, things with high contrast- those are the most popular. I liked the Lamaze brand Clutch Cube.

Beth

Will check out Lamaze clutch cube. I was thinking of something she might be interested in grabbing (besides my necklaces). When for a jumper?

Thank you!

lkarp
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Things with faces, things with high contrast- those are the most popular.

Beth

DD3 is 3 months now and has enjoyed the poster printed off of fussybaby.net. All three of my girls have actually like looking at the poster.

The following mobile has also been a big hit:
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-201770-Infant-Stim-Mobile/dp/B00009ZIKH

I too am a little worried that DD3 will be crawling and walking earlier than I want. DD3 rolled from tummy to back at 2.5 months, but not yet from back to tummy! I'll say a little prayer for you!

crl
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
See if one of your friends still has a Fisher Price Kick n Play bouncy seat from back the day of your 1st. That is fun.

Or one of these cause and effect pianos:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3565459

I like a lot of the Lamaze toys:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2574127&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary

Beth

Thank you! We had something like the Lamaze peacock for ds and he was terrified of it, I never could figure out why!

Catherine

crl
06-13-2010, 04:42 PM
DD3 is 3 months now and has enjoyed the poster printed off of fussybaby.net. All three of my girls have actually like looking at the poster.

The following mobile has also been a big hit:
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-201770-Infant-Stim-Mobile/dp/B00009ZIKH

I too am a little worried that DD3 will be crawling and walking earlier than I want. DD3 rolled from tummy to back at 2.5 months, but not yet from back to tummy! I'll say a little prayer for you!

Thank you! I'll say one for you too.

Catherine

llama8
06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
When my DD was 2 months old, the only things she really liked were:

1. Fisher Price Rainforest Gym (She would look around, but couldn't play with it much)

2. Soft rattles with bright colors

3. Fisher Price Lion mirror (she still love him and smiles and talks to him)

4. Bouncy seat

5. Swing

It wasn't until she was 3 to 3.5 months that she started really reaching, grabbing, and playing more with toys. There isn't really too much for a 2 month old.

123LuckyMom
06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I HIGHLY recommend the Baby Whoozit from Manhattan Toy. This toy entranced my little guy when he was tiny, and he continued to love it for a long time. We took ours everywhere with us, and I also used it to practice tracking with him. When he started teething, the Whoozit nose was always in his mouth. That was by far his favorite toy for a long time, and when we saw how much he loved it, we got one for all our friends' babies his age. It became their favorites, too, so I think it's a pretty universal hit. He also loved his Gymini. He didn't use his jumperoo until he was much older, so I wouldn't recommend that yet, though you'll want to have one later. A swing is nice to have, but not a necessity. The other toy he loved was a cow that was part of a set, I think by Infantino. It was a small thing, but he loved it.

catsnkid
06-16-2010, 09:55 PM
DS loved this flat teddy bear toy that made a nice crinkly noise when it moved. Other than that, he liked baby einstein playmat and swings with music and action etc.

citymama
06-17-2010, 02:19 AM
DD is about 6 weeks and loves her mobiles. We have that infant stim mobile from Manhattan Toys that a PP linked to, and a musical one made by Sassy. She also LOVES her Gymini playmat - dd1 loved it too. She is also infatuated with a couple of dd1s stuffed toys - a zebra and penguin, that she can gaze at for long spells of time. Dd1 loved books at that age (still does!).

When did most of you introduce Sophie the giraffe?

123LuckyMom
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
My little guy never really took to Sophie, but I think he's an anomaly, because all his friends loved her! His fave, which, whenever he finds one, he still likes to chew on, was the razberry. That teether worked really well for us. Also, on the toy front, my guy loved his Tiny Love mobile that was a hand-me-down. They don't seem to sell the exact style he had anymore, but I'm sure the new ones would be just as engaging.

lizzywednesday
06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
DD's favorite toy has been a stuffed panda from Ikea that she's been interacting with since about 8 weeks old. She's now 3 months.

however, she's starting to get into other things that a friend of ours gave us ... a stuffed moose with crinkle & jingle sounds (I think it's by Lamaze) and a "rainstick".

The kid's been happy as a clam with mirrors, too. I really should get one for her crib...

brittone2
06-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Most kids are +/- 4 months or so when they start holding toys/rattles a bit.

DS2 is just shy of 3 months and likes hanging out under his gymini. He'll chill in the papasan swing and nap there. LIkes the bouncy seat for 10-15 mins (my other kids seemed to prefer it to the swing; he likes the swing better).

We have a handful of Haba wooden toys waiting for DS2, a skwish, etc.

We use an old (from DS1) non breakable mirror for DS2. It has different black/white/red patterns on the back side and on the border of the mirror. Good for tummy time.

I'm not a fan of jumpers but I'd wait until you see good head/neck and trunk control. 4-6 months of age or so?

I keep thinking about getting sophie this time but I know our dog will just take over her.

crl
06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you all!
Catherine

lchang25000
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I HIGHLY recommend the Baby Whoozit from Manhattan Toy. This toy entranced my little guy when he was tiny, and he continued to love it for a long time. We took ours everywhere with us, and I also used it to practice tracking with him. When he started teething, the Whoozit nose was always in his mouth. That was by far his favorite toy for a long time, and when we saw how much he loved it, we got one for all our friends' babies his age. It became their favorites, too, so I think it's a pretty universal hit.

:yeahthat: DS LOVED his baby whoozit for a long time! It was his favorite carseat toy. We got it as a gift and I cannot recommend it enough!