PDA

View Full Version : Do/Did you carry a diaper bag and your own bag?

salsah
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
just curios, this is sort of a SO of the favorite diaper bag thread, do/did you carry two bags, your own hand bag with your personal things in it and a separate one for the baby essentials?

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
No way. Everything is in one (small as possible) bag. eta- I have recently started keeping my things in a wristlet so I can just pull it out and toss it in any bag, which is great since I don't want to use the diaper bag when I am out on a date. :)

Beth

hillview
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Nope just one bag.
/hillary

♥ms.pacman♥
06-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, definitely. I carry my own purse plus a mini diaper bag. I really don't like the idea of carrying my stuff (wallet, keys, etc) in a diaper bag. I figure diaper bags can be easily misplaced/lost/forgotten somewhere and wouldn't want to deal with losing keys or license/credit cards along with that. if i just lose my diaper bag, big whoop, i'm out of a few bibs/dipes/wipes and that's it.

plus, i don't always carry my diaper bag everywhere i take DS. for example if i know i will be in the grocery store for only 20 min or so, i will just bring DS and my purse and leave the diaper bag in the car (my chuck a rattle or paci in my purse for just in case but that's it). again, am not concerned with anyone stealing diaper bag from my car since it has nothing valuable in it.

my other reason is that i'm a purse fiend and i don't want to give up carrying my handbags. :)

edurnemk
06-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I figure diaper bags can be easily misplaced/lost/forgotten somewhere and wouldn't want to deal with losing keys or license/credit cards along with that. if i just lose my diaper bag, big whoop, i'm out of a few bibs/dipes/wipes and that's it.

For me it's the opposite I know I'd be more likely to lose my purse than the DB, LOL. I figured, one less item to keep track off.

Now that DS is 2.5 I do carry separate bags because I don't always need the diaper bag, but for 2 years I just used one. In Chicago I kept the DB attached to the stroller handle permanently since we walked everywhere, very easy to keep track of.

lhafer
06-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I keep everything in one bag for the first couple of years. And I specifically look for diaper bags that will work in this capacity. I have skip hop bags now (one Dash Deluxe and one via Backpack) and they work beautifully to allow me to carry my things and my kids' stuff.

poohbear
06-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I have a Skip Hop Via Messenger and it is perfect for carrying 'mom' things - it has outside pockets for a blackberry and keys and separate pockets for wallet, etc. I also tend to keep a wristlet with me in case I need to separate my stuff from the diaper bag. I also tend to carry purses that are big enough that I can keep a sippy, small book or toy, and a diapees and wipes case, if I don't need a full on diaper bag. (And my purses aren't THAT big)

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Btw, I do not carry a diaper bag into places unless I was going to be there a long time. My "diaper bag" is usually just a tote that has my stuff, a diaper pouch with 2 diapers and some wipes, and a few small toys. I never understood the giant diaper bags people carry in for something like a Target run. i can't think of that many emergencies that I would need all that stuff for. :) I'm all about carrying the smallest bag possible to get the job done.

Beth

Beckylove
06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
I just got a JuJuBe Quick so I could hold the dipes/wipes together in my purse and just hand that over at church or the gym daycare. It is small enough to fit in my purse and I don't have to have a super mega purse to fit everything. Works great for us, but I only have one kiddo.

HonoluluMom
06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
The bag I use the most now is a Boujie Baby diaper bag, which can pass for a purse. I just put my stuff in a few of its pockets.

lhafer
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM
:innocent:
Btw, I do not carry a diaper bag into places unless I was going to be there a long time. My "diaper bag" is usually just a tote that has my stuff, a diaper pouch with 2 diapers and some wipes, and a few small toys. I never understood the giant diaper bags people carry in for something like a Target run. i can't think of that many emergencies that I would need all that stuff for. :) I'm all about carrying the smallest bag possible to get the job done.

Beth

Well I carry my diaper bag everywhere. That's why I get comfy ones that can withstand all my toting around. Inevitably, my baby wants a bottle, or needs a diaper change, or has a blow out and I need to change her clothes, or my 4 year old is whiny and wants a snack, or drink, etc etc etc. I would just rather have it handy than have to listen to them whine.

While I might not "intend" to be there a long time, my Target trips are rarely less than 45 minutes. Even if I went in just to get one or two things. NEVER EVER happens! :innocent:

But that's why I get diaper bags that have excellent stroller clips or large baskets for my strollers!! :loveeyes:

Kaylee31
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, definitely. I carry my own purse plus a mini diaper bag. I really don't like the idea of carrying my stuff (wallet, keys, etc) in a diaper bag. I figure diaper bags can be easily misplaced/lost/forgotten somewhere and wouldn't want to deal with losing keys or license/credit cards along with that. if i just lose my diaper bag, big whoop, i'm out of a few bibs/dipes/wipes and that's it.

plus, i don't always carry my diaper bag everywhere i take DS. for example if i know i will be in the grocery store for only 20 min or so, i will just bring DS and my purse and leave the diaper bag in the car (my chuck a rattle or paci in my purse for just in case but that's it). again, am not concerned with anyone stealing diaper bag from my car since it has nothing valuable in it.:)

:yeahthat:
Pretty much everything Ms. Pacman said. I don't like to put everything in one bag, its hard enough to find what I need with separate ones! And I don't like to go anywhere without my purse. Once in a while, I will throw my purse in the trunk, and put my wallet in the diaper bag. But usually I'm more likely to need something from my purse than the diaper bag.

arivecchi
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I only carry the diaper bag, especially now that I have my fab Skip Hop Dash! I use that on weekends and only use my purses for work now.

swissair81
06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I only carry diaper bags. I have more pursey looking ones (for when I want to be more adult) & outing ones. I have one wallet that I transfer back and forth.

ThreeofUs
06-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I carry a slim backpack purse, with just enough room for my keys, phone, etc., in front and two dipes and some wipes in back.

If I'm going on a long outing, though, I take a backpack filled with food and drinks. My guys like to eat - a LOT!

lizzywednesday
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I've got a handbag collection for going out, but my current diaper bag is just an oversized canvas purse anyway, so everything goes into the diaper bag when DD and I go out.

sunshine873
06-14-2010, 08:44 PM
SAHM, and pretty much wherever DD goes, I go too. So I keep my stuff (wallet, keys, phone) in her diaper bag.

The only time that doesn't work is if we're out as a family and DH & I go in different directions. He almost always keeps DD with him in those circumstances, so I just bought a little wristlet to keep in the bag for those circumstances.

Wondermom
06-16-2010, 05:24 PM
GREAT post. This was always a dilemma for me until I got this (very inexpensive) wallet from Target:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Double-Frame-Wallet-Ivory/dp/B002U1JB7U/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

I keep all my usual wallet stuff in it plus a compact and lipstick. I slip it into my purse when I go off to work, and slip it into the diaper bag (with my iphone) when I'm with kiddos. Has made carring ONE bag at a time possible. Yay!:yay:

Andi98989
06-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I carry a small purse (10x7x1) but I've got a good amount of stuff in it - wallet, keys, cell phone, parking access card, pill case, lotion, hand sanitizer, brush.

I use my freebie Similac sling diaper bag for most of our outings. I keep it loaded for DS - snacks, outfit, bib, diapers, wipes, small toys, etc...

If I'm in a real rush, I can throw my wallet in there, but I like to have access to all my other stuff. Also, it's easier for me to just remember to grab my purse and the diaper bag than to remember which one my wallet is in and transfer it between the two.