PDA

View Full Version : Baby Rolling - paranoid mommy

WolfpackMom
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Our almost 5 month old keeps rolling over in his sleep causing him to sleep on his belly. Usually he keeps his head turned to the side, but a few times I have gone to check on him and he is face planted on the crib. Its making me completely paranoid that he is going to suffocate or something. He moves around a ton in his sleep so a sleep positioner probably isnt an option (he is also a bit big for one I think).
Can anyone offer some reassurance? I am not sleeping at all because I keep on feeling the need to check on him, attempt to roll him back onto his back, etc. :(

♥ms.pacman♥
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
omg the EXACT same thing was happening to me starting a few weeks ago! my son just turned 5 months old. i was getting paranoid as well. sometimes his face seemed to be planted in the mattress. freaked me out! also, i notice that bc he rolls he usually ends up on his tummy with one side of his body against one side of the crib, making it harder for him to move around.

after a few days, i just let him sleep like that. at first i attempted to put him on his back but in approximately 5 seconds he would roll onto his tummy again, so putting him on his back was just useless. i think the first night he slept on his stomach i checked on him whenever he made a peep, but afterwhile i was just like whatever...i needed to sleep! anyway, so far he's been totally fine. now he always sleeps on his stomach at night (we place him on his back always but he rolls over every time). i guess the plus side of it all is that that is 10 hours less per day that he is on his back, which reduces chance of getting flat head.

eta: i dont' use a sleep positioner, but during the day he naps in his Nap Nanny (like a wedge baby sleeps in), which keeps him on his back and elevated. so during the day for naps he's always on his back. i wouldn't use a Nap Nanny though at night though bc it tends to get hot after a few hrs.

PMJ
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Our baby DISLIKES sleeping on her back. When she began rolling, I was a bit nervous, too but got over it really quick. I figure and (Doctor confirmed) that if she can roll over, then she will roll over to her back if she can't breathe. Babies do understand and have that innate ability for survival.

HonoluluMom
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm a super paranoid mom and when DD started rolling I was so worried because: (1) she was still swaddled and I thought if she went to her tummy, she wouldn't be able to roll back; and (2) when she started rolling, she could roll pretty good from back to stomach, but not so good from stomach to back.

So, paranoid me would check on DD in the middle of the night and flip her over. After several weeks of doing this and seeing that she was doing okay, I felt better.

JBaxter
06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Babies are fine to sleep on their tummies when they have reached an age that they turn on their own. 3 of mine were tummy sleepers from birth. As long as they are on a firm surface dont worry.

WolfpackMom
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Thank you all, I feel a little better. Im going to try and force myself to only check once, or twice ;) tonight!

sonnynyc
06-16-2010, 01:03 AM
I gues the roll around wildly/sleep on tummy is common to babies at 5 months 'cuz my DS does it to. My concern is that he sometimes gets stuck in the corner. Any parents have that issue? Luckily he screams (and we have a baby monitor) so we can hear it and respond ASAP....

♥ms.pacman♥
06-16-2010, 07:03 AM
I gues the roll around wildly/sleep on tummy is common to babies at 5 months 'cuz my DS does it to. My concern is that he sometimes gets stuck in the corner. Any parents have that issue? Luckily he screams (and we have a baby monitor) so we can hear it and respond ASAP....

my DS is exactly the same way. since he moves around so much in his sleep, he sometimes gets stuck when he is lying perpendicular to the length of the crib (since he is so tall, he gets "stuck" like that and has no room to really get out of that position; his head and feet are both pressed up against the sides of the crib). but yeah, when he gets really stuck he will scream bloody murder (different from regular cry) so we can come quickly and help him out.

lchang25000
06-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Our baby DISLIKES sleeping on her back. When she began rolling, I was a bit nervous, too but got over it really quick. I figure and (Doctor confirmed) that if she can roll over, then she will roll over to her back if she can't breathe. Babies do understand and have that innate ability for survival.

:yeahthat:

cath_b
06-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Both DS and DD are tummy sleepers. They despise being on their backs or swaddled. At a few weeks old they could both Houdinni out of a tight swaddle. Doctors always tell you do not put your baby on their tummy to sleep. You don't, but your DC sure does. Both DS and DD are early rollers at 3 months. As soon as they could roll though, they were able to put themselves to sleep no problem. Paranoid first time mother that I was slept at DS's room until we got the monitor. It was so sensitive we could hear DS breathing. Used the same monitor for DD, it sure made me feel at ease.

Maybe you may want to try a monitor just for sanity's sake?:)