PDA

View Full Version : How big should a diaper bag be?

smcdonald2
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Expecting mom here, looking for some advice. DH and I were given a new black Skip Hop Dash Deluxe, which we're very grateful for! It seems like it's well-reviewed on this board, and others.

My one concern is that it looks kinda...small. Maybe it's because I'm a big-purse girl, or because I truly have no idea what a good size for a diaper bag is. Or because we've got a ton of BumGenius Flip Diapers that seem a tad bulky (though not as bulky as the AIOs!)

Anyone know if this bag is big enough for a cloth-diapered newborn, or if it's better for when the baby is bigger and needs less stuff?

Our bag will primarily be going back and forth every day from our house to my MIL's house, because she'll be watching the baby while we're at work. Is something larger, like the JuJuBe BePrepared, overkill when you're not staying overnight? TIA.

Momof3Labs
06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
If you are carrying cloth dipes back and forth to a sitter's house, then you need something huge. The Be Prepared is one option, but I'd probably get an inexpensive tote to hold just the diapers for the sitter's house (or perhaps a Lands End or LL Bean big tote) and use your Skip Hop diaper bag to hold everything else.

You might want a different bag for when you go out with the baby. The Skip Hop Dash, IMO, is too small for cloth diapers. Maybe a JJB Packabe?

swrc00
06-16-2010, 10:13 AM
A friend of mine who has two DCs in CDs uses the Skip Hop Duo and has no problem with it. I think the Dash probably is comparable in space and may even have more space. She also keeps a backup CD or two in the car.
I would suggest leaving a stash of things at MILs for when she is watching the baby. She could keep it all in a basket or something to keep it all together. She could have a wet bag that you could use to transport the dirty diapers. I would keep the Dash and maybe get a Lands End tote bag or something to take to and from MILs if keeping a stash of supplies won't work.
We use a tote bag to take DS's to and from daycare. I have found it is much easier to keep the daycare bag and the diaper bag separate.

arivecchi
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I just got a Skip Hop Dash for my 2 kids and think it is the perfect size. Wish I had started out with it instead of the many other diaper bags I have had! I agree with the PP who suggested leaving a stash of things at your MIL's. It makes life so much easier!

swissair81
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Love my Packabe. The BFF has the same dimensions, but is wider instead of tall.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-16-2010, 11:47 AM
i don't like those huge cubic diaper bags, and most are way too girly with flowers etc (i have a boy, plus i want DH not to look silly carrying it) so i just carry a small plain one (a mini diaper bag by Eddie Bauer from BRU, see link below). i use cloth diapers most of the time but in my diaper bag i only carry a few disposables (7th Gen) and wipes..just easier to deal with. i do have a wetbag to put the dirty cloth diaper he is currently wearing if i have to change him. but really, maybe only 1 out of 4 times we go out do we have to change his diaper anyway (we're usually out for just 1 or 2 hours, and we always change him right before we leave).

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/eddie-bauer-camano-mini-diaper-bag-reviews

anyway, i love this diaper bag. even has an insulated bottle holder. it's been big enough to carry all our needs: 3-4 disposable diapers, wipes case, Chux pad (for changing), small blanket, a few bibs, sunglasses, rattle, bottle, nursing cover, extra onesie, wet bag, burp cloth. only maybe 3 or 4 times for an all-day outing (7+ hrs or more) do we use a larger diaper bag.

it's weird it got such bad reviews. probably from people over stuffing it (it is pretty small). no way can u fit cloth diapers in there. and i never put my own stuff (wallet, cell, keys) in a diaper bag. i've used it solidly (every day) for 5 months and have had no issues at all.

MommyAllison
06-16-2010, 12:36 PM
The Dash was my first and only diaper bag with DD, who was cloth diapered starting at 8 months. When DS came along, DD was potty trained and I also got the Target Skip Hop (what is that one called? can't remember), which I think does have more space inside. I have gone back and forth between them since DS was born, as I get tired of the style/color, I switch. :) DS was cloth diapered from birth, and both bags were fine for us - but our diaper bag dipes are really, really trim. I usually carried 3 dipes in the bag, plus wetbag. Now that DS has PTd, both bags seem huge and empty!

I agree with Lori, I'd use a separate tote bag for babysitter dipes. I'm a SAHM though, who uses diaper bags for running errands and playdates, so don't need to bring diapers for a whole day with me very often (but when I do, I usually bring an additional bag).

luckytwenty
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I like to travel light. I have a Skip Hop Dash (which I stopped using years ago--my youngest is now 4.5) but I will be using that again for the new baby. I keep extra diapers and clothes in the car so I only need a few for the bag, and with nursing I really will just want to throw in a nursing cover or blanket, although there are compartments for bottles if necessary. A few baby toys and wipes and I'm set.

But I also carry the smallest purse I can carry when not using a diaper bag. I don't like carrying a lot of stuff in general and use my car for extra stuff.