PDA

View Full Version : I bombed it.

ha98ed14
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
The only good might be that one of the interviewers on the panel was very nice and I *could* probably call him after I get my no-thank-you letter (sounds better than rejection, right?), and ask him what I could have done differently. Ugh. This sucks. But in all fairness to myself, this was the first job interview I have gone on since staying home with DD and then being a FT student. DH says it was not that great of a job and I am not desperate for work, so to look at it as a practice run. Still sucks.

elektra
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Interviewing is something that really gets better with practice which I'm sure you know. I'm sure you'll be so much better prepared on the next one if you choose to keep going that route.
Hugs.

DrSally
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Interviewing is something that really gets better with practice which I'm sure you know. I'm sure you'll be so much better prepared on the next one if you choose to keep going that route.
Hugs.

ITA with everything Electra said. When I interviewed for my internship, I had 11 interviews, and the first one was definitely the "practice" one.

MontrealMum
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I agree with pp as well. Look at it as practice and try to move on. Just wanted to send you :grouphug:

Toba
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I haven't worked in a long time and can't work at the moment anyway (medical reasons), but I always get hung up on the "off the cuff" things. I went to a business school where when you were just about to graduate, they put you through intense "interviews" where they taped it and played it back to show you what you did wrong ... so I felt pretty confident (the fool, I was) going on my first interview. The interviewer asked me midway through the interview if he gave me $10K that I could use for anything, what would I spend it on. At the time, we had only been in our house for a few months and were doing renovations and projects every weekend so I told him that I'd spend it fixing up my house. Apparently that wasn't an appropriate answer and he said he wanted to know of something "fun" I'd spend it on. Well, at that point in time, fun would have been having an extra $10K to fix up my house. So I stuttered and stammered and said that I'd like to travel .... which sounded hollow because it was. Yeah, didn't get the job even though I was totally qualified and aced the rest of the interview. That one off the wall question sunk me.

On another interview (was actually my third interview for this person; I basically already had the job), the person placed a phone in front of me and asked me to "call" someone she was supposed to meet with and postpone the meeting. I just froze. I forgot the interviewer's name (I knew it, just lost it at the wrong moment), I stammered and stuttered again ... it was just awful. So, yeah, didn't get that one either (and that one I *really* wanted).

It's hard interviewing and even harder when someone throws you for a loop that you weren't expecting. I agree with what your DH said. Especially if you're not desperate for work ... find the one that YOU want, instead of what the employer wants, IYKWIM. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

ThreeofUs
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
You know, interviewing is one of the.most.stressful. things you can do to yourself. I know it s*cks to feel like you didn't do so well, but using it as a learning experience is probably the best suggestion anyone could have right now.

Doesn't help with the feeling of laying yourself open to judgment and feeling rejected, though, and I'm really sorry you have to go through it now. I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing in a few years....

wellyes
06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Job hunting is unquestionably more difficult and stressful and soul-sucking than the actual job you will end up with. This is the worst part, I promise.

niccig
06-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Your DH is right. It was a practice. And you GOT an interview. That is an achievement right now with so many applicants for each position. You also have your resume back up to speed, so when you see another job, you can be prepared.

I'm looking too, and DH says the same - you've got time to find the right job. It is just so demoralizing...but it will get better.,

sste
06-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I wonder if it was not a "bomb" but rather a not-great interview. I have def. had my share of unsuccessful interviewing - - for me at least, I will never be a brilliant interviewer. *But* I have also noticed that alot of d-making occurs before the interview and then the INTERVIEWER kind of sets the stage for it to be a blah interview.

I tend to think of things as total triumphs or complete disasters too! But, my bet in this case is that the short list was formulated in advance, the interviewer knew that, and for your part you have been out of the field for a bit and needed some initial not-so-great interview experience to figure out the best way to "spin" your different paths career-wise. So, I wonder if it was really a total bomb in the way you are thinking about it right now in the heat of the moment?

ellies mom
06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
The only good might be that one of the interviewers on the panel was very nice and I *could* probably call him after I get my no-thank-you letter (sounds better than rejection, right?), and ask him what I could have done differently.

This tells me you didn't bomb it. This tells me that you impressed him enough that he is offering to give you advice to rock future interviews. If you bombed the interview, you wouldn't have gotten that. So yes, consider this a good practice. Call him and see what he has to say and go from there. :hug:

gatorsmom
06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Interviewing does absolutely take practice. Dont be so hard on yourself! You really needed this "no-thank-you" experience. It will make you better for the reallly good job interview- the one you REALLY want- later on. Be thankful you had this experience to prepare you for the next one. (silver lining, silver lining...)

twowhat?
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
This tells me you didn't bomb it. This tells me that you impressed him enough that he is offering to give you advice to rock future interviews. If you bombed the interview, you wouldn't have gotten that. So yes, consider this a good practice. Call him and see what he has to say and go from there. :hug:

:yeahthat::yeahthat: And just keep plugging away. My first job interview when I was looking to return back to work - they asked what I did for fun. You know what I said? "Well, I don't have a whole lot of free time because of the twins." "But what if you had the time?" "Uhhh....er...I, um...like to read..."

BOMB:)

eta: feel validated that you got an interview. They will only interview the strongest candidates, and if they have to choose among several strong candidates, well yeah that can totally make an interview go towards the "bomb" side, especially if they decide up front after meeting you that you wouldn't fit into the company culture, which is I think what happened to me. All the other employees there were uber-cool young hip dudes. And I was, I guess, not one of them:)

dcmom2b3
06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
:hug: I'm sorry. But as a btw -- I've only gotten jobs from interviews that I totally thought I'd bombed. Really.

ha98ed14
06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I just erased my post.... AHHHHH! SO pissed off!

Anyway, as I was saying. I got my rejection letter today. The Interview was Wed. So I guess they were REALLY sure they didn't want me. Ugh.

I could/can tell I am so out of practice in the field and in interviewing. I have forgotten much of the lingo because it has been 4 years since I worked in the field, and I have spent the past two filling my head full of things related to math education. Then come to find out I hate the classroom.... Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

I feel so frustrated and lost. I have a freaking Master's Degree (terminal degree in my profession) from an Ivy League school. I am too good for this! WTF?!?!? Well, if I ever had any enemies, they can have a party at my misery.

ETA: And the one guy on the panel who called out as I was leaving, "It was great to meet you, Elizabeth!" The one I thought I could probably call and ask him for advice on how to get back into the field... Um yeah. I cannot remember his FREAKING name!!! Only where he works. Like I am going to call everyone in that department, "Hi, um, I interviewed last Wed at XYZ, and um, were on that panel?" Such a loser. :crying: