PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a diaper bag!!!!!

new_mom_mry
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I desperately need your help with choosing a diaper bag for our first born (will find out if it's a boy or a girl tomorrow, but would prefer a gender neutral color, so not knowing gender shouldn't matter).

Here's the dilemma. Our stroller is red, and it has a removable seat and turns into a snap n' go that holds the infant car seat, which is primarily black and white.

picture of stroller (First Years Indigo)
http://hi.atgimg.com/img/x/3340/y11101.jpg

picture of car seat (Graco Snugride 32 in Rittenhouse)
http://www.babygiftsoutlet.com/images/large/graco-snugride-32-infant-car-seat-rittenhouse_BG00312.jpg

I would like a diaper bag that will match the red stroller, and also coordinate with the black/white car seat, which I will either use with the stroller frame while the baby still fits into it OR carry short distances (e.g., from car to restaurant).

Before purchasing the car seat, I looked at Skip Hop Dash Deluxe in Wave Dot, but now I am thinking it's too small, so I need something bigger (plus the color doesn't work with the car seat pattern). I would greatly appreciate suggestions that fit my existing color scheme :) Thank you!!!

arivecchi
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
I have the Skip Hop Dash in Uptown Stripe which looks awesome with the red Indigo. Other options:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=17771&site=CI&cm_mmc=cse-_-googlebase-_-moms_maternity-_-SH-102&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SH-102

http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=22422

Honestly, I would not worry too much about matching to the car seat. You may end up using the infant bucket for a short period of time. I would worry more about (i) me liking it a LOT and (ii) the bag matching the stroller. :)

The Skip Hop Dash is fab. The perfect size.

Momof3Labs
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
This in Midnight Eclipse? Or Lotus Lullaby?

http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01231

They also have backpacks in that fabric, if you think you might prefer a backpack.

wellyes
06-20-2010, 12:27 AM
OK I like this one http://www.skiphop.com/product/41000.html (http://www.littleurbanites.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1605&idcategory=47)

I do like black & white diaper bags best: gender-neutral and somewhat dad-friendly while still looking chic.

ETA: Confusing - at the Skip Hop site it looks like a $99 bag but the link somehow redirects to a page which charges $150 (?) - more than an Indigo!

new_mom_mry
06-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Love all of your suggestions so far...I do like the option of carrying the bag across rather than just on one shoulder...hence Skip Hop Studio & City Chic might not work as well...I suppose for now my options are Skip Hop Dash in Wave Dot or Cherry Blossom and Ju Ju Be All in Midnight Eclipse :) Any significant differences btw Skip Hop Dash Deluxe and Ju Ju Be All in terms of size, comfort, etc.?? Not at all familiar with the latter.

lhafer
06-20-2010, 01:39 AM
First, YEAH on the Indigo! I just bought one a few weeks ago myself and LOVE it!! :thumbsup:

My first thought for you when I read your post was: Skip Hop Dash Deluxe in Wave Dot. I would get this if you are having a boy. If you are having a girl, then I would go with the Cherry Bloom.

I happen to have the Dash Deluxe in the Cherry Bloom pattern. And let me tell you - it is FABULOUS with the stroller (I also have it in red). Tomorrow I can try to get a picture of them together. (My car seat is a Grago Snugride 35 in the Racer pattern, which happens to look great with both the Indigo and the diaper bag!). :jammin: I find that it is just the right size. I have everything I need (for baby and me) in the bag, with room left over. I can wear it on my shoulder easily (doesn't slip off thanks to the padded strap), I can easily adjust it to wear messenger style across my body, I can easily fit it in the basket of the Indigo, or I can clip it to the stroller with super ease.

If you are worried about matching patterns - match the bag to the stroller, not the car seat. The infant seat will not be a permanent seat. And the next seat (and even the infant seat once the baby's big enough) will remain in the car, while you will have the stroller out and about with you and your bag.

I know arivecchi has the Uptown Stripe bag. I love that pattern as well, and it was a serious contender for me. But I ultimately went with the Cherry Bloom because I felt the Uptown Stripe had too much Brown, and I wanted more black. The Uptown Stripe bag has brown straps, and there are no black stripes in the pattern.

Just my 2 cents.

ETA: I don't have a JuJu Be bag, never have. I looked at them in the store and felt that the bags themselves were heavy when empty, so I didn't take a closer look at them. Though, they are loved on this board. And they are a great bag - just not for me.

arivecchi
06-20-2010, 08:47 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TB4Ns9geeoI/AAAAAAAABB8/xAJ6kRQSdQE/s512/IMG_2560.JPG

Momof3Labs
06-20-2010, 09:02 AM
My last diaper bag was a Skip Hop Dash, and my current bag is a Ju Ju Be Be Right Back (backpack). I like both. The Skip Hop is a bit more bare bones but very functional, and it washes beautifully in the washing machine. The Ju Ju Be has insulated bottle pockets and more thoughtful pockets throughout, and it is also machine washable.

The Be All is 14x11x5.5. The Dash is 12.25x11.5x4.25. So the Dash is a little smaller.

Amazon has free returns on its baby products right now (only items labeled as such). I'd suggest ordering both, comparing them IRL and returning the one that you don't want!

http://www.amazon.com/Ju-Be-Diaper-Lotus-Lullaby/dp/B001DKHPD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277038851&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Dash-Deluxe-Diaper-Bag-Wave/dp/B003A1DPKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277038877&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Deluxe-Diaper-Cherry/dp/B001UAFBYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1277038930&sr=1-1

lhafer
06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Not sure if you have BRU near you, but the one by me has recently started carrying Skip Hop Duos (and I think Dashes and Messengers) but I have seen the Uptown Stripe and Cherry Bloom patterns there for comparison. Just a thought.

new_mom_mry
06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Not sure if you have BRU near you, but the one by me has recently started carrying Skip Hop Duos (and I think Dashes and Messengers) but I have seen the Uptown Stripe and Cherry Bloom patterns there for comparison. Just a thought.

We don't have a BRU near us (oddly) but I have the seen the cherry blossom pattern at PBK last time we were in Silicon Valley. I love your idea of going with the wave dot pattern if it's a boy and the cherry blossom pattern if it's a girl!:) The gender ultrasound is tomorrow, so I will know then!

I think the uptown stripe pattern is pretty awesome too, Arivecchi! It definitely looks GREAT with the Indigo, but the wave dot pattern might work better with the black/white car seat. I was originally going to get the Graco Snugride 35 in Racer BUT...was procrastinating making the drive to BRU and saw this amazing deal on it in Rittenhouse for ~100 after BING and diapers.com price match. It has the Graco-pedic luxury foam, so it's actually a pretty nice car seat.

Finally, point well taken about Ju Ju Be bags having more features...but unless I see a really good deal on them, I might just go with the Dash Deluxe, color TBD based on gender :)

arivecchi
06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I agree with the Wave Dot being the best match to both. I was debating between the Uptown Stripe and the Wave Dot. They are both really cute. If you are having a girl, the Cherry Bloom would be my vote! I have 2 boys so I wanted something more boyish. :)

PMJ
06-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I think I need to be booted off of this Board -- my Diaper bag most definitely DOES NOT match w/ our car seat or stroller !

:nodno:

OOPS

arivecchi
06-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I think I need to be booted off of this Board -- my Diaper bag most definitely DOES NOT match w/ our car seat or stroller !

:nodno:

OOPS :eek: How dare you?! :rotflmao:

lhafer
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
We don't have a BRU near us (oddly) but I have the seen the cherry blossom pattern at PBK last time we were in Silicon Valley. I love your idea of going with the wave dot pattern if it's a boy and the cherry blossom pattern if it's a girl!:) The gender ultrasound is tomorrow, so I will know then!

I think the uptown stripe pattern is pretty awesome too, Arivecchi! It definitely looks GREAT with the Indigo, but the wave dot pattern might work better with the black/white car seat. I was originally going to get the Graco Snugride 35 in Racer BUT...was procrastinating making the drive to BRU and saw this amazing deal on it in Rittenhouse for ~100 after BING and diapers.com price match. It has the Graco-pedic luxury foam, so it's actually a pretty nice car seat.

Finally, point well taken about Ju Ju Be bags having more features...but unless I see a really good deal on them, I might just go with the Dash Deluxe, color TBD based on gender :)

Awesome deal on the Rittenhouse. That was my first pick of car seat as well, then I couldn't find them anywhere (I think that pattern was discontinued?). I was getting close to my due date so I finally I just broke down and got the Racer. I haven't been disappointed with the seat or the pattern.

lhafer
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Here's my indigo and cherry bloom bag.

lhafer
06-20-2010, 06:37 PM
In my bag this is what I have:

In the Main Compartment: 2 outfits, an Amy Cole pacifier pod, and at the bottom a zip lock baggy that has feminie products for me (you never know!), nursing bra pads, etc. Occasionally depending on how long we will be out I will put my Gypsy Mama wrap in there as well. But I usually put it in the basket.
In the zippered pocket I keep my wallet and coupon bag when shopping.
In the front large pocket (inside): a receiving blanket, 2 cloth diapers as burp cloths
In the inside pockets in the back: 4 diapers - size 2 huggies, a small wipes case
In the inside pocket on the side: my nursing cover rolled up
In the inside pocket on the other side: a zip lock baggy or 2, and another one that has a bulb syringe, nasal spray, etc.
In the front pockets: a bottle (or 2 depending on how long I will be out, and I use Tommee Tippe bottles), my keys, and my phone in one of the front side pockets.

This is my bag full:

new_mom_mry
06-20-2010, 11:45 PM
In my bag this is what I have:

In the Main Compartment: 2 outfits, an Amy Cole pacifier pod, and at the bottom a zip lock baggy that has feminie products for me (you never know!), nursing bra pads, etc. Occasionally depending on how long we will be out I will put my Gypsy Mama wrap in there as well. But I usually put it in the basket.
In the zippered pocket I keep my wallet and coupon bag when shopping.
In the front large pocket (inside): a receiving blanket, 2 cloth diapers as burp cloths
In the inside pockets in the back: 4 diapers - size 2 huggies, a small wipes case
In the inside pocket on the side: my nursing cover rolled up
In the inside pocket on the other side: a zip lock baggy or 2, and another one that has a bulb syringe, nasal spray, etc.
In the front pockets: a bottle (or 2 depending on how long I will be out, and I use Tommee Tippe bottles), my keys, and my phone in one of the front side pockets.

This is my bag full:

Thanks so much for posting the pictures! Now I'll probably have questions for you about all kinds of other goodies that you keep in the bag...I am still quite ignorant about bottles and all kinds of other nursing-related items. Hopefully, I'll learn all about them in the breastfeeding class that I will take closer to my due date :)

arivecchi
06-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Lhafer, so pretty!

lhafer
06-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks so much for posting the pictures! Now I'll probably have questions for you about all kinds of other goodies that you keep in the bag...I am still quite ignorant about bottles and all kinds of other nursing-related items. Hopefully, I'll learn all about them in the breastfeeding class that I will take closer to my due date :)

Ask away! I am nursing more this time around, but I don't prefer to do it in public (too much a PITA for me) so I always have at least one bottle (of expressed milk) with me on outings.

Thanks Arivecchi - how are you liking your new Dash?

arivecchi
06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I love my new Dash. I wish I had gotten one right from the start! It is the perfect size and price! :D I love how you can hang it directly from the stroller handles.

new_mom_mry
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Ask away! I am nursing more this time around, but I don't prefer to do it in public (too much a PITA for me) so I always have at least one bottle (of expressed milk) with me on outings.

Awesome! I will ask away then! :) I am quite uneducated about breastfeeding at this point since this is our first baby and I haven't taken the class yet. I suppose my question concerns items that I need to purchase. My plan is to breastfeed for approximately 6 months. I'll be going back to work after 3 months, so will be pumping quite a bit then, ALTHOUGH we are likely going to put the baby in a nursery that will be a 2 min drive from my work, so I'll be able to drop in and nurse him/her as often as I like when I am back at work. If it's not too much of a hassle, maybe you could tell me which breastfeeding-related items I will need to buy and approximate quantities (e.g., how many bottles? bags for freezing milk?). Thanks so much, as I am quite lost in the world of breastfeeding gear...

lhafer
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Awesome! I will ask away then! :) I am quite uneducated about breastfeeding at this point since this is our first baby and I haven't taken the class yet. I suppose my question concerns items that I need to purchase. My plan is to breastfeed for approximately 6 months. I'll be going back to work after 3 months, so will be pumping quite a bit then, ALTHOUGH we are likely going to put the baby in a nursery that will be a 2 min drive from my work, so I'll be able to drop in and nurse him/her as often as I like when I am back at work. If it's not too much of a hassle, maybe you could tell me which breastfeeding-related items I will need to buy and approximate quantities (e.g., how many bottles? bags for freezing milk?). Thanks so much, as I am quite lost in the world of breastfeeding gear...

I sent you a PM.

new_mom_mry
06-22-2010, 01:20 AM
I sent you a PM.
I sent you a response, but not sure whether it got sent! It's still showing that I have 0 sent messages (not familiar with the private message sending mechanism on this board just yet...but hope you got it!)