PDA

View Full Version : Healthy smoothies

mm123
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
DD1 (2 years) hasn't been eating much lately. We think she may be teething (drooling, hands in mouth, etc). In any case, the ped. suggested trying smoothies with her. We were out for brunch today, and she LOVED mine, but of course, it wasn't the healthiest.

Anyone have recipes for healthy smoothies? I know lots of people just "throw" stuff into the blender, but I do much better with recipes!

Do you use frozen or fresh fruit, yogurt, milk, etc? Do you make a lot and store it in the fridge or freezer?- our food processor's a pain to clean.

Any ideas to add protein and/or iron?

Thanks for any recipes or ideas!

infomama
06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I know one basic recipe that is well loved around here. Toss 4-5 frozen strawberries (whole, unsweetened) into a blender with one banana, one vanilla yogurt (or whatever flavor you choose) and some OJ or pineapple juice (I like the pineapple juice best). Blend until smooth and enjoy!
I make it right before we drink it..takes a couple of minutes.

Use greek yogurt (Costco has this DELICIOUS greek yogurt right now....starts with a 'C') to boost protein.

annex
06-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's a great post I bookmarked this past week:
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/06/fruit-smoothies.html

Seems to really cover the basics in terms of ratios, and what healthy things to add!

wellyes
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I do milk, a little whole-fat yogurt, some frozen berries and a banana. Maybe add some whey protein powder.

Occasionally I'll do milk, a packet of instant breakfast and a handful of spinach leaves. DD LOVES it, so far has not noticed the green specks. Heh. If I don't add spinach I sometimes add peanut butter.

I blend in the blender, then pour into cups, and immediately fill the blender with hot water and dishsoap. Then WHIRRRRLLLLLL. Rinse and maybe a quick wipe and it's clean. Storage of smoothie in blender = PITA to clean.

Tondi G
06-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Our smoothies are made from homemade kefir (my mom makes her own), frozen banana, frozen strawberries and a squirt of raw agave syrup. My boys love it... if we make too much and have some left over we put them in the popsicle molds we have and make smoothie pops!

I know some people add some flax seed oil to their smoothies (buy it in the refrigerated section at whole foods or a health food store). You can add tofu to smoothies, or peanut butter for extra protein too.

brittone2
06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Avocado is so good in smoothies (we like it in strawberry smoothies) and disappears. I kid you not. It just makes them creamier in mouth-feel, but not avocado-y (we like the taste of cados, but not the taste in our smoothies).

I regularly add salad greens or spinach like a PP. Serve in a lidded cup as they can get "muddy" looking in color with these additions, but they still taste great!. I also add peanut butter even to berry smoothies for an extra protein burst but not sure if you are doing nuts yet. I know PB and berries together seems weird but oddly it tastes pretty good in the end IMO.

We've been using and enjoying chia seeds lately which have extra omega 3s. I add them to drinks and smoothies.

I usually use unsweetened yogurt in ours as the base. Dh and I sometimes use Jay Robb protein powder.

We try to keep the sugar content low-ish.

Since you asked for a recipe, around here it might be something like:
unsweetened greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt, but I usually have Greek in the fridge). A cup or so?
A cup or two of spinach or salad greens (or sub a half of an avacado, which I really like w/ frozen strawberries....)
a handful or a little more of frozen berries
peanut butter (optional)
add a little sweetener of choice, or some banana for extra sweetness
enough liquid to blend (cow's milk, hemp milk, unsweetened almond milk if she can have nuts, rice milk, or even just water....)

eta: ditto freezing into popscicles. She might be receptive to that now that it is hot out! Great for using up the extra smoothie.

happymom
06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I know one basic recipe that is well loved around here. Toss 4-5 frozen strawberries (whole, unsweetened) into a blender with one banana, one vanilla yogurt (or whatever flavor you choose) and some OJ or pineapple juice (I like the pineapple juice best). Blend until smooth and enjoy!
I make it right before we drink it..takes a couple of minutes.

Use greek yogurt (Costco has this DELICIOUS greek yogurt right now....starts with a 'C') to boost protein.

I tried this tonight and it was delicious! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting!

infomama
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I tried this tonight and it was delicious! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting!
Glad you liked it! I snuck some carrot juice into the ones I made yesterday and it created the most beautiful sunset orange color but it was a dead giveaway. Everyone still enjoyed them though!

bigsis
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
I seriously throw stuff in the blender, but here's the best I can do recipe-wise:

frozen strawberries---fill the blender 60%
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup juice (I've used OJ, apple, mango juice)
1 cup soy milk (I use plain)
2 tbsp sugar (very optional)

Blend until smooth.

HTH!