PDA

View Full Version : s/o Soft Landing: Do you have "safe" bath toys?

firsttimemama
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
We went no-plastic in our kitchen.. so here is my dilemma - DS' bath is full of plastic crap. Is this safe? not safe? Do you worry about this? Don't? Why?

daphne
06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
We went no-plastic in our kitchen.. so here is my dilemma - DS' bath is full of plastic crap. Is this safe? not safe? Do you worry about this? Don't? Why?

I don't worry about it. I just don't buy the squeezy ones b/c of the risk of mold inside.

researchedout
06-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Sure - the same chemicals that would leach in hot water in the kitchen would leach in the bath. Obviously each parent decides his/her own level of worry, but yeah, I swing toward safe bath toys.

hillview
06-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't worri about it. I do replace them every year or so and try not to let them sit in the wet. I avoid the ones that hold water due to mold.
/hillary

Katigre
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
We don't really do bath toys - the kids use some plastic cups that are #5 plastic and otherwise play with washclothes and an old soap pump bottle. We used to have bath toys and they werent' really used much and I just got rid of them :).

firsttimemama
06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
We don't really do bath toys - the kids use some plastic cups that are #5 plastic and otherwise play with washclothes and an old soap pump bottle. We used to have bath toys and they werent' really used much and I just got rid of them :).

I think I do want to reduce the # of toys, probably slowly so DS doesn't notice too much. There are just too many.

newg
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I just make sure the toys can't hold water, so I don't have to worry about mold and stuff.
She has a couple of BPA free spoon/cups to play with and some stick-on-the-wall letters and a few others that are pretty safe.

wellyes
06-20-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm a "no plastic in the kitchen" person but I don't worry at all about the bathtub. The water is not hot enough to be an issue, and there is so much water that even if there were leeching it would is it much much much more diluted than in a food vessel. And of course I do discourage her from ingesting the water :).

brittone2
06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
we don't use vinyl stuff, but otherwise, I'm fine with plastic in the tub (my kids basically just play with cups and things like that. I hate cleaning squirty bath toys, etc. and get grossed out at what would grow in there if I didn't clean them periodically.) DD likes playing with her bath baby, which is a phthalate-free one anyway. (Gotz, Corolle, and Kathe Kruse all have phthalate-free options).