PDA

View Full Version : So when did your heartburn start?

swissair81
06-21-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm 29 weeks & so far haven't had any problems. I woke up at about 1:00 am (EST) feeling like a baby dragon must feel like when he/she first learns to breathe fire. It's so bad that I sent my dh out to the pharmacy in the middle of the night for tums and zantac. I did everything right too. My supper wasn't acidic & I sat upright for 3 hours following (not on purpose, I just did) & ugh...

fumofu
06-21-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm at 33 weeks and heartburn started last week - I didn't know what it was at first. The second night I woke myself up because I had bile in my mouth - not fun. Since then I've been sleeping on two pillows, avoiding acid and carbonation, and sipping on water in between smaller, more frequent meals way before bed time.

Not feeling very comfortable, but I can deal.

LadyPeter
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Mine started at 16 weeks. I also didn't know what it was and thought I was having a heart attack! Drama, much?

prats
06-21-2010, 08:07 AM
i had a lot of heartburn in my 1st trimester........which reduced in 2nd trimester but never went away.....and now in my 3rd trimester i am having a severe phase again............

avoiding very spicy food, acidic fruits like lime,orange and their juices helped a little.......
drinking chilled plain cold milk too helped occasionally

swissair81
06-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Mine started at 16 weeks. I also didn't know what it was and thought I was having a heart attack! Drama, much?

You would not believe how common that is. I have reflux each time, but it only started now. So I recognized the feeling.

Melaine
06-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Early. I had some in the first trimester, increased around the 20 week mark. Didn't let up until delivery.

swissair81
06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Oh wow!

(I actually am feeling very strong sympathy for my kids at this moment. All of them have terrible reflux from birth & it lasts for 6-7 months. I've joked to my pediatrician that she should just order a GI consult in the hospital when I have the baby.

AshleyAnn
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Mine started at 18 weeks and by 25 I had extreme acid reflux but I carried very 'inside' and didn't even look pregnant until the last month.

luckytwenty
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I didn't have any with my first pregnancy. With my second, I don't remember when, but it was a constant problem and it bothered me for most of it. I remember it in my first trimester--eating something spicy at around 10/11 weeks and being up all night.

With this one, I had it only when I was taking an antibiotic. Other than that, so far, so good at the halfway mark!

bostonsmama
06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I get it sporatically. I'm used to eating 3 main meals a day and 1 or 2 small snacks, but food just doesn't fit like it used to. I have a small capacity, so mainly I get it when I don't eat small meals or go to bed too soon after dinner (like, less than 3 hours). Hugs

citymama
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
None in the first pregnancy. Heinous heartburn from week 10-24 or so the second time, and then back again at around week 36 (although milder than on first two trimesters). Good luck!

Myira
06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Mine definitely started in the 2nd trimester and was there till the very end. Tums did nothing for me so I on days when it used to be bad, I would take the RX my OB prescribed. Especially when I lay down at night, it would be the worst.

ewpmsw
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Heartburn wasn't ongoing in first pregnancy, but started early (12ish weeks) and was definitely uncomfortable. This time around, I've only had it bad once or twice and we're getting close to the finish line. I have a hiatal hernia and am overweight, so expected it to be unbearable. So, so grateful this hasn't been an issue - My sympathies to those who are dealing with it!!!