PDA

View Full Version : When did you start to show?

PHBrow
06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I am pregnant with my first child and hoping you can share your experience. At what point did you start needing to wear maternity clothes (I know it varies)? I am 21 weeks now and not showing very much but I have some work engagements coming in the next 4 weeks (face to face presentations) that I'm worried I won't have clothes for if I don't plan now! It's just that I thought I would be showing a lot already and I'm not.

Also, in what trimester did you typically put on the most weight? Is it mostly in 2nd or 3rd (or what)?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

luckytwenty
06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I showed early all three times. I have a very short, narrow waist and I think that might be why. With the first I was in maternity clothes by 12 weeks, the second and third by 8-9. I am a week behind you now and in the full panel belly stuff.

I also (atypically) gained the most in the 1st tri, the least in the 2nd, and then more towards the last 10 weeks. But I think most people gain more from the 2nd tri on. I have no idea why, but in the end, I got healthy babies, so I guess it's all good!

lizzywednesday
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
It totally varies from person to person.

I'm a big person & didn't really show until later ... I broke down & ordered maternity jeans at around 25 weeks. Before that, I extended the life of my regular jeans by using a BeBand.

I also wore my pre-pregnancy fold-top yoga pants throughout my pregnancy.

OTOH, my sister was wearing maternity pants earlier than I was.

But, then again, she's got an enforced dress code at her job. I don't.

bostonsmama
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't really understand the mechanics of why some women show earlier than others, i.e., whether that it's your stomach muscles stretched out or your uterus just is stretchy & remembers what to do. This is technically my 6th pregnancy, but I've never carried past 14 weeks (and I was hardly showing then). With this pg, I was so tiny (size 4) that I needed a size up in pants by 10 weeks. Now that I'm farther along, some of my size 4 maternity jeans are getting tight in the thighs--and that's typical of the 2nd trimester to start storing fat in the butt and upper legs. The only thing my belly can handle even now is the secret fit belly from Motherhood. I can't stand the partial/no-belly pants. Regular Ts are still fitting fine, although I have a few maternity tops.

18 weeks is 2 days away, and I'm only up 6.5 lbs, but I've been very diligent about my calorie-intake and exercising 2-3 times/week since the worst m/s eased. I can't imagine only gaining 25 lbs this pg--I'm sure it'll be more like 35--and once you hit 20, it's common to gain 2lbs a week, then taper off to 0.7-1 lb/week from 30 wks til delivery.

I had a friend who started out very tall and thin. She hired a personal trainer and still wound up gaining 50 lbs with both of her pregnancies. Now that I'm exercising, my appetite has dramatically increased. I know it'll keep me healthy, but it's a recurrent theme I'm hearing that you gain more when you exercise--probably both from increased appetite and maintained muscle mass. I only took walks throughout the entire 1st tri--I was so sick. And I didn't gain but 3 lbs, but I looked a LOT fatter. I think my muscle mass was going away and being replaced by lighter fat. Anyways, way more info than you wanted. LOL

newg
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
You might want to gather some clothes for the presentation, just in case. I always feel like I grow over night!......you can always return them if you end up not needing them.
I have typically stayed within my typical non-pregnancy size with both pregnancies (size 4-6)
Target's maternity line, Gap, and even some Macy's stores have some nice work attire pieces. And you can easily return them if you don't need them. Motherhood Maternity stores have an awful return policy, so I wouldn't get anything there unless you really feel you will keep the piece.

lizzywednesday
06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
FWIW, dresses are always a good option to have for work ... I became a quick fan of the dress after I git sick of the stretch pants!!!

ON & Gap were my best bets for finding nice things.

luckytwenty
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Bostonsmama, I gained more in the first tri most likely because I kept up my exercise, so I agree w/ that theory. Spinning and running combined with a growing baby=insane hunger!

As I've gotten bigger, I've scaled back a bit, and my hunger and weight gain have, too. Not that I'd NOT exercise because of that (there are so many benefits for both the baby and mom) but I do think it's why I had the biggest gains in the beginning.

FWIW, I gained 35-40 lbs the other two times, and probably will gain that much this time, and had no trouble at all losing it quickly...in large part because I was in great cardio shape a few weeks after delivery and was back to walking then running really soon. So I do believe it's worth it.

Sweetum
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I was not showing in my tummy till the 5th month (23 weeks or so), but I'd put on weight in all the "right" places (thighs, butt and bust) in the first month. So, I had to change my sizes, and I opted to go with maternity (didn't want to buy a size up in regular clothing and end up using them for just a few more weeks). I found the maternity jeans (with the belly band) to be very comfortable. I didn't want jeans/pants that were restricting in the tummy area - made me very nervous. I know that people at work had no idea till I was almost in my 3rd trimester. I guess the inexperienced ones just thought I'd put on a lot of weight LOL!
btw, I'm a medium to heavy build (actually heavy is now :D) - not thin not heavy, not short, not tall.

GonnaBeNana
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm too old to remember :p! My youngest is almost 11. I honestly think that I needed maternity clothes when I left the dr.s office after getting the positive test results!

Anyway, my daughter is pregnant now and is 19 weeks. We just bought her two pair of jeans, two pair of shorts and two bras this weekend. She's been wearing a BBand, and yoga pants or sweats up till now, and is still using those too. I think she's showing, but I know she's pregnant, so it's hard to be objective. Our next door neighbor, who doesn't see her too often was surprised to hear she was pregnant as she didn't know.

I'd say have a couple of outfits on hand just in case, but a bband should be OK too.

Beth

PHBrow
06-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and info. It's very helpful! :-)

swrc00
06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I was about 6 months when I started to show. I think it is wise to buy ahead and I totally agree with the PP about dresses. Dresses are so easy to put on and look nice. I didn't plan ahead when I was pregnant and found myself at the end of a season with nothing to wear. There of course was nothing nice left in the stores either.

ewpmsw
06-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I started to show really early the second time, which is weird because I didn't show much the first time until about the end of the 7th month. (Probably b/c I was already big.)

Weight gain has been totally different this second time. I lost a few lbs first trimester, gained a few lbs back at the beginning of 2nd trimester, and have been steadily losing 3 or so lbs with each prenatal visit since then. I'm at my prepregnancy weight now, With first baby, I lost 15 lbs first trimester and then gained steadily through the third.

kam
06-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Just another point -- be comfortable.

During my first pregnancy, I made it to about 20 weeks in my real work clothes. But I wasn't too comfortable, and they weren't very flattering. I would have been happier in mat clothes, even though I wasn't showing hugely.

So, if I were you, I'd head to the maternity section, and pick up a few things. A flattering pair of black pants, a top or two, and a dress. Then you have options for when you want to look really polished. If the pants are still a touch loose, tighten them up with your belly band. And, added bonus, is that some of your longer shirts/blouses will go nicely over maternity pants.

This time, I'm already unlatching my slacks when I sit down in the office, and am planning on maternity pants by the end of july. Not because I'll be showing much, but because I'll have gained just enough to be more comfy in them, and they're designed to grow with me!

JMO. Good luck!

swissair81
06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I personally don't see why people try to hide in their real clothes for such a long time. It's not like I don't look different. I just look fat instead of pregnant. Personally, I prefer pregnant to fat. I look cute in maternity & I don't care about anything other than being comfortable. It's not like people couldn't tell just by looking at me (without showing). I usually look ill & green for 3 months & I gag at the mere mention of food. I wish I could tell even earlier than I do. This time I didn't tell anyone until 20 weeks (because I was bleeding & the Dr made no promises.), but it was really hard.

Anyway at nearly 30 weeks, I can't remember not showing anymore (even though I could wear my own skirts until 17-18 weeks or so.)

fumofu
06-23-2010, 03:20 AM
I started showing at Week 18 or so? I skipped the belly band and bought a pair of black mid-panel pants from GAP. The elastic is pretty taut, so they stayed put without digging into my growing belly. I wore these throughout my 1st & 2nd trimester. I'm at 3rd trimester now and am wearing my full-panel jeans & bermuda shorts from Motherhood. I've also been wearing my longer pre-pregnancy t-shirts and elastic-waisted skirts, and have bought a couple maternity t-shirts and tops at Old Navy.

I've been steadily gaining weight very close to convention (up to 5 lbs 1st trimester, then 1 lb per week 2nd & 3rd): 3 lbs in the 1st trimester, 13 lbs in the 2nd. I'm at Week 33 now and have gained 22 lbs. OB expects me to gain 35 lbs in total.

smcdonald2
06-23-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm 21 weeks and I didn't gain a pound in my first trimester, but I needed maternity clothes by month 3. My arms and legs got thinner, but my stomach and breasts grew, and regular clothes just weren't attractive anymore. I looked like I'd had eaten a tub of cookie dough. But in maternity clothes, I was Adorable Pregnant Girl...so there was no contest.

FWIW, I've gained 3 lbs now and people are saying things like "You're huge!" I guess when you're short, there's nowhere to go but out.

AnnieW625
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
With DD1 I started showing at about 17-18 weeks and that was the same time I finally had to start wearing maternity pants. With the baby we lost I started showing at around 10-12 weeks. With DD2 I was soo happy that I made it past the first trimester so 14-15 weeks IIRC because I didn't want to tell people before we'd gotten the 13 week nuchal fold and first trimester scan results back.

BabyBearsMom
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
My clothes felt less comfortable around 13 weeks, but I don't think you could tell, it just looked like I gained a few pounds (ironic because I actually lost weight in the first trimester from all the m/s). I think you could actually tell I was pregnant at around 16 weeks. I started wearing maternity clothes at around 14 weeks.

That being said, at about 24 weeks my belly popped out seemingly overnight. So it went from a gentle slowing to a hardcore baby bump. I got up one morning and my husband said "Holy Cow!" I did not appreciate the allusion to the cow either!