PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone use any other birth positions beside laying on the back?

moonsky
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Especially for those who had babies in hospitals.

newg
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
No, I stayed on my back.........but I had an epidural, so my legs didn't work very well!
I did walk around and sit on the bed during contractions though.

swissair81
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I haven't as of yet, but I plan to use hands & knees or kneeling holding on to the back of the bed. My dr is fine with it.

brittone2
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
With DS1 I had a CNM and delivered in a hospital. My one major regret is that despite my birth plan saying I did not want coached pushing on my back, that's what I got. And I wish I had spoken up, DH had, or the doula had. My legs were sooooooo sore the next day (like I had run a marathon) which has not been my experience w/ my other two kids. I *hated* the counting and coached pushing. DS1 was out in 20 mins, I had only a small tear that took a few stitches, but I think I might have avoided that to a degree if we had skipped the coached pushing in a semi-reclined position (name of actual position escapes me). I did NOT enjoy that approach at ALL.

DD was born at a FSBC and I really spoke w/ all of the CNMs there about my previous experience. With that birth I pushed in sidelying and followed my own urges. 2 little pushes and she was out. No counting. I did tell them some verbal instruction was okay to prevent tearing (like ease up...blow...etc.). No tearing that time and much more comfy.

With DS2, I had a home waterbirth and was kinda sitting with knees bent when he came I think? No tears. No check to see if I was "complete" (only cervical check was when CNM arrived and I was 5-6 cm). No coached pushing or any "direction" from the CNM. 2 pushes with one contraction and he was out. Easiest recovery...no need to use a peri bottle, etc. and never had any swelling in my perineum.

eta: totally look into all 4s, sidelying, supported squat, etc.

jammytoast
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
yup, hands and knees while I was leaning backwards up on the bed. (does that make sense? The head of the bed was elevated up, and my head/arms were there to take advantage of gravity)

Awesome. 2 pushed and done (verses 3 HOURS of pushing reclined on my back w/ DS)

moonsky
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
With DS1 I had a CNM and delivered in a hospital. My one major regret is that despite my birth plan saying I did not want coached pushing on my back, that's what I got. And I wish I had spoken up, DH had, or the doula had. My legs were sooooooo sore the next day (like I had run a marathon) which has not been my experience w/ my other two kids. I *hated* the counting and coached pushing. DS1 was out in 20 mins, I had only a small tear that took a few stitches, but I think I might have avoided that to a degree if we had skipped the coached pushing in a semi-reclined position (name of actual position escapes me). I did NOT enjoy that approach at ALL.

DD was born at a FSBC and I really spoke w/ all of the CNMs there about my previous experience. With that birth I pushed in sidelying and followed my own urges. 2 little pushes and she was out. No counting. I did tell them some verbal instruction was okay to prevent tearing (like ease up...blow...etc.). No tearing that time and much more comfy.

With DS2, I had a home waterbirth and was kinda sitting with knees bent when he came I think? No tears. No check to see if I was "complete" (only cervical check was when CNM arrived and I was 5-6 cm). No coached pushing or any "direction" from the CNM. 2 pushes with one contraction and he was out. Easiest recovery...no need to use a peri bottle, etc. and never had any swelling in my perineum.

eta: totally look into all 4s, sidelying, supported squat, etc.

I heard the vertical positions are the best but I am quite concerned about the baby's safety. DC#2 came out so fast that the fluid splashed on OB's face. Would you be comfortable to use the squat position if you were not in the water?

moonsky
06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
yup, hands and knees while I was leaning backwards up on the bed. (does that make sense? The head of the bed was elevated up, and my head/arms were there to take advantage of gravity)

Awesome. 2 pushed and done (verses 3 HOURS of pushing reclined on my back w/ DS)

So, you held the headboard or your hands were on the bed also? You were still on the bed right?

moonsky
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I haven't as of yet, but I plan to use hands & knees or kneeling holding on to the back of the bed. My dr is fine with it.

Are you afraid that the OB may not be able to catch the baby and of the risk of baby falling to the ground?

swissair81
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Why are you concerned about the baby's safety? If the OB is concerned he can wear a splash guard.

swissair81
06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Are you afraid that the OB may not be able to catch the baby and of the risk of baby falling to the ground?

I've seen plenty of OBs & CNMs catch babies in nonstandard positions. They are optimal for pushing.

moonsky
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Why are you concerned about the baby's safety? If the OB is concerned he can wear a splash guard.

Dh kept saying tha it wasn't safe for the baby if I wasn't on the bed. The OB may miss and the baby would fall to the ground.

swissair81
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Dh kept saying tha it wasn't safe for the baby if I wasn't on the bed. The OB may miss and the baby would fall to the ground.

What is your DH's source for that?

swissair81
06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
http://childbirth-labour-delivery.suite101.com/article.cfm/the-best-birth-position-get-off-your-back

brittone2
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I can't understand what the major safety concern would be with birthing in supported squat. If provider is in place, he/she should be able to "catch" in time. Many women also instinctively sort of help ease baby out with their hands.

My kids previously saw a family practice doc (he teaches at a well-known university medical school) before our out of state move. He delivers babies in his practice on a limited basis and is known as the "male midwife" at the hospital he delivers at as so many of his moms deliver in supported squat for example. I never had him attend any of our births, but I know he and the midwives at the FSBC had women who wanted to deliver in supported squat.

brittone2
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
nak
Peggy Simkin is a PT and was how I got interested in natural childbirth to begin with (was exploring positioning, etc. for labor that would allow better fetal positioning, larger outlet, etc).

Here's a good article and mentions some 2nd stage positions. It mentions sidelying can be particularly good for a "fast" 2nd stage.

http://transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/parented/pain/positions.htm

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I delivered on my side at the hospital, my choice. They had a squat bar ready for me and I didn't want it.

At the birth center I did all 4s and then my side. Again, my choice to flip off of all 4s.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Like I said in a previous birth thread you started, the baby is connected to you via the umbillical so it's not like the baby can totally free fall. :) Cords come in dif't lengths. Honestly, his reservations make no sense and he is not the one birthing the baby.

Beth

Piglet
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Heck ya!! Epidural and all. I did hands and knees for delivering DD.

okinawama
06-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I was on all 4's in an attempt to get a posterior baby out. I did end up switching to my back, but that was by choice.

moonsky
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
What is all 4s position? Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
What is all 4s position? Thanks.

hands and knees

Tanya
06-21-2010, 05:31 PM
YOu could not have paid me to be on my back. I had back labor with the first and I wouldn't/couldn't even be on my back to be checked. I tried sitting on a birthing ball and that wasn't comfortable either. I spent pretty much the entire time on my hands and knees and dh had his thumbs pressed into my back (my skin later peeled there). That was what felt best for me. I listened to my body. The midwife suggested I try on my side to push the baby out and I couldn't do that at first, but then was able to switch and pushed her out that way. I had a minor tear through the skin only.

For my second, I was up and down and in and out of the bed for a lot of it, but once the pitocin contractions kicked in, I again naturally went to my hands and knees. The midwife just had me lean backwards (I can't remember if I got up on my feet in a squat or was just on my knees) on the bed to push. No tearing whatsoever.

I just naturally did NOT want to be on my back and it seems like it would be sooo much harder to push that way. I was never concerned about my babies falling. I was still on the bed for one thing. Plus, I could easily reach down and touch my babies heads.
Gravity is our friend, don't make it our enemy.

ewpmsw
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I was on my side for most of the serious labor at the end, and delivered DD side-lying with someone holding my leg in the air. (I'd had an epidural.)

Katigre
06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes I pushed in several different positions with DS who was a hospital birth. I included that in my birth plan and the nurses helped me move around. I ended up using the squatting bar pulling on a towel against my midwife with each pushing contraction.

AnnieW625
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
stayed on my back both times. I thought about moving around with DD2 but honestly at the end all I wanted to do was get the baby out of me so I opted to stay on my back too. Since I had no pain meds I was able to move around a bit more from side to side and that helped, but I was still on my back. I only pushed for 20 minutes with DD2, but had awesome nurse and attending physician (who was a resident) so they would've been more than open to switching things up a bit had I asked to.

moonsky
06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Like I said in a previous birth thread you started, the baby is connected to you via the umbillical so it's not like the baby can totally free fall. :) Cords come in dif't lengths. Honestly, his reservations make no sense and he is not the one birthing the baby.

Beth

I just saw it on the TLC show, I didn't know I was pregnant. The baby fell on the ground because the cord could not hold the weight of the baby and broke. So, it really could happen. The mom was standing when she delivered her baby.

swissair81
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
TLC probably left out some essential facts. Where was the OB/midwife? Was it unattended? Was there negligence, incompetence or nincompoop-ness involved anywhere? I don't know any OB who would let a baby drop on the floor while he/she was delivering a baby. That's called malpractice. It's not a safety issue.

Katigre
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I just saw it on the TLC show, I didn't know I was pregnant. The baby fell on the ground because the cord could not hold the weight of the baby and broke. So, it really could happen. The mom was standing when she delivered her baby.
Where was the birth attendant? My midwife has delivered babies in all sorts of positions - even with mom on the toilet - and not dropped a baby. That is just bizarre to me that no one caught the baby such that the cord broke (which is another thing that doesn't seem quite right - a cord is incredibly strong, even cutting it with the surgical scissors takes a lot of force as we found out both times - I can't see how it would just snap???).

swissair81
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm also wondering if there was some kind of anatomical anomaly. Maybe there was a velamentous cord insertion. Or maybe there weren't 3 cord vessels. There is some serious information missing. I cut the cord myself the last time & I have handled multiple placentas & cords at work. Cords don't just snap.

Edited to add: they can snap, but it's not that common. Often there is a nutritional deficit in mom, mom is a smoker, baby is no longer alive, the cord is really short, or something else out of the ordinary.

Neatfreak
06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Was the "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" episode birth in a hospital? If a medical professional was attending the birth, I assume that they would know what's happening and be ready to catch, no matter the position. If it was a woman at home who didn't really know what was happening, the baby falling to the floor scenario sounds more plausible.

And my data points:
DD1: Squat bar
DD2: Side lying

DrSally
06-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I asked to squat and the OB said no.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM

how sweet.

bcafe
06-24-2010, 11:02 AM

How shameful of the dr. I loved the squatting position, especially in the pool.

moonsky
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Was the "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" episode birth in a hospital? If a medical professional was attending the birth, I assume that they would know what's happening and be ready to catch, no matter the position. If it was a woman at home who didn't really know what was happening, the baby falling to the floor scenario sounds more plausible.

And my data points:
DD1: Squat bar
DD2: Side lying

It was at the hospital. The mom didn't know till she felt the head. The nurse was called in for help but couldn't catch the baby in time. The baby fell on the ground and the cord broke.

HonoluluMom
06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
When I met with the doctor to go over my birth plan, the doctor nixed my desire to give birth in positions other than laying on my back. She said that if an emergency arose, the back position is the fastest/best way for the medical team to assess and address it.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
It was at the hospital. The mom didn't know till she felt the head. The nurse was called in for help but couldn't catch the baby in time. The baby fell on the ground and the cord broke.

And if the cord didn't break? Do you think it would be better? (Besides all the cord blood that was lost, until they managed to clamp it.) There is no excuse for not catching the baby in time. This is not a normal story & is not representative of normal obstetrical or midwifery practice.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
I feel like laying on your back is the hardest position to push. If I had to do it over again, I would have a midwife or doula with me at the birth. I'm glad I was in the hosp. for DS, but it was a very difficult birth for both of us, but the standard hospital routines leave a lot to be desired.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 03:18 PM
I feel like laying on your back is the hardest position to push. If I had to do it over again, I would have a midwife or doula with me at the birth. I'm glad I was in the hosp. for DS, but it was a very difficult birth for both of us, but the standard hospital routines leave a lot to be desired.

It's not even fun for the nurses. Most of us are not meanies who like making laboring moms suffer. Unfortunately we don't make policies & we have to follow Dr's orders. That's why it is so important to check into the hospital's policies & your doctor's comfort level. Most nurses will not be willing to lose their jobs just to rock the boat.

Piglet
06-24-2010, 03:46 PM

I would not take ANYTHING shown on TLC to be indicative of life on Earth. So much for the The LEARNING Channel.

Katigre
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
double post

Katigre
06-24-2010, 03:48 PM
When I met with the doctor to go over my birth plan, the doctor nixed my desire to give birth in positions other than laying on my back. She said that if an emergency arose, the back position is the fastest/best way for the medical team to assess and address it.
I totally disagree with this - mom on her back is the most convenient position for the medical team to do their stuff, but it's not necessarily the safest for the baby and mom. In some emergencies (shoulder distocia in particular but also if the baby's heartrate is dropping due to the cord getting compressed) mom moving to other birthing positions is one of the best ways to handle it b/c it helps adjust the baby's position as well and can also get the pushing stage finished sooner.

IMO the nurse should have verbally coached the mom on how to catch her baby. I know plenty of moms who have self-caught their babies - it's not rocket science with a fast, uncomplicated birthing situation where the baby is coming quickly. The whole situation sounds like a gigantic hoopla that needn't have happened.

brittone2
06-24-2010, 05:00 PM

And being on your back requires you push up and over the "speedbump" of your sacrum (in that position it is like having to push baby up and over a speedbump!).

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Conversely my CNM told me that she would want me to be willing to be on all 4s if there were complications as it opens the pelvis up significantly more than on the back so they could get baby out easier.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
IMO the nurse should have verbally coached the mom on how to catch her baby. I know plenty of moms who have self-caught their babies - it's not rocket science with a fast, uncomplicated birthing situation where the baby is coming quickly. The whole situation sounds like a gigantic hoopla that needn't have happened.

I know. The mom sounds like she wasn't at all with it. I know the show was about being pg and not knowing it. But, honestly, of you felt something coming out of you down there wouldn't you do something? Reaching down seems instinctual. I could have supported baby during delivery myself if I had to.

Beth

sste
06-25-2010, 07:01 AM
My OB encourages laboring in different positions. Our hospital policy *with epidural* is that they need to test out your legs & steadiness on epidural but if that is reasonably OK you can leave the hospital bed during labor/delivery. After this thread, I am def. going to ask more detailed questions about hospital policies etc re: squatting and other positions.

cairo06
06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I can't believe that the doctor can tell you what position to be in when in labor! :47: I've only given birth here in Germany, so I'm not really familiar about the procedures in the US. I had both DC in an anthroposophical (Waldorf) hospital, but I remember visiting other more standard hospitals and they also encouraged taking other positions. Here births are accompanied by midwifes and a doctor only comes if he/she is needed - maybe thats the difference. Your gynecologist does not come to the hospital.

I wanted to have DD in water, but I just didn't feel comfortable in the tub. I ended up lying on my side. For DS I was on my knees and holding on to the side of the bed and the midwife was there to catch. Both times my instinct/body guided me to what felt right. I couldn't imagine someone telling me what to do.

swissair81
06-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Conversely my CNM told me that she would want me to be willing to be on all 4s if there were complications as it opens the pelvis up significantly more than on the back so they could get baby out easier.

Beth

That is especially important if the shoulders are stuck. It's called the Gaskin Maneuver. It's the only contribution from a CPM that has been published in obstetrical journals.

PearlsMom
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
At the hospital here where I'll deliver, all of the L&D nurses are certified midwives, and the "standard" pushing position w/o epidural is a squatting/sitting position -- apparently the hospital bed actually breaks down into sort of a chair so mom is pushing straight down and doctor can still have a good view/access. But they also allow squatting or all fours on the bed, or side-lying, unless you have an epidural, in which case it's on your back with your legs strapped in to the stirrups. Or so they say. I should be trying it out myself any day now...

It just seems like common sense that the safest position is the one where mom feels more comfort and control. I frankly wouldn't even worry about the baby falling - it's incredibly unlikely, and even if it happened, I'd rather a dropped baby than a stuck one!