PDA

View Full Version : Help...my DS is STILL not walking

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
and he is now 17 months. He is in EI therapy. Anything else I should be doing? We try to practice with him but he immediately goes on the floor in all fours and crawls away. He is a super speedy crawler. He cruises well but is very cautious and walks slowly with us when holding our hands. I am trying to not worry too much. Any advice from moms with late walkers?

sunshine873
06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm right along with you. I think you're already doing the best by having him in EI. Is he getting PT? Have they given you any suggestions? Why do they say he isn't walking yet? My DD's problem is a weak abdomen/core. So we're working on strengthening with a series of exercises. Baby sit-ups, lifting herself up from the side, etc. Lots of work on an exercise ball (which she has caught onto now & doesn't like) and in the pool (which she still thinks is a game, phew!)

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
He is PT, DT and OT. :( His physical therapist wants us to practice with him but it is nearly impossible! He does balance and stand on his own at times and has taken a few steps here and there. So frustrating. DS1 just decided to walk the day he turned 13 mo. It's a completely different experience with DS2.

brittone2
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
how's his cruising?

Can he cruise with just hands, not leaning his body forward onto the surface he's cruising along?

You can also try sitting him on a little bench/stool so that his feet are flat and knees are bent (90 degrees or a little less) and see if you can get him to pull to stand from that position w/ a couch in front of him. Put a fun toy on the couch to catch his attention. If/when he can do that easily, you can start very, very gradually moving the stool back (little by little) to see if he'll stand and then sort of "lunge" toward the couch. This is a way to get them to take that first step or two if he's not doing that.(be ready to catch in case he falls obviously). It is a fine balance between having it at a distance where they are comfortable/confident enough to try but not *too* easy. Really, just very gradually move it back as he gets more confident and starts to stand and lunge, then stand and lunge forward a step or two, then maybe he'll stand and hesitate a minute before taking a more deliberate step, etc. Eventually you can get them taking 2-3 steps, then 3-4 steps, etc. and the couch makes a good crash pad if they miss/fall, kwim?

If he's cruising well (hands only) you can start trying to have him cruise between two pieces of furniture placed perpendicular but within arm's reach of one another (his arm's reach obviously, not yours). Once he can do that, I'd start spreading the furniture *just* out of arm's reach and have him try to go between the two pieces (taking one step/balancing for a bit on his own). move a toy between the two pieces. One way is usually easier than the other (going left vs. right) at first.

Not sure exactly where he is. He may be beyond this or this may be too challenging. What is your therapist giving you do work on at home? She/he would have a much better idea of where your DS is.

egoldber
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
My older DD did not walk until 19 months. it was so hard...... :hug:

bubbaray
06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I would really try not to worry and let the EI people worry about it. Easier said than done.

Can you call the EI person and ask them??

arivecchi
Brittone, the therapist recommends grabbing him by the waist and making him walk or tricking him into balancing all on his own. He cruises with his hands only (does not lean forward). We have been using bubbles in the bath and he has been standing in the bath with me as he grabs bubbles.

sste
I know I have told you this before but NINETEEN MONTHS! Nineteen looooong months. I thought I was going to need to enter phystical therapy for the back problems I was starting to develop! And in our case no actual problem noted - - not particularly weak, excellent form, a little tight hamstrings and slightly below average muscle tone but no real explanation. Except he didn't want to walk!

It was a running joke in our house that DS was in his crib at night secretly penning his book, "Maximizing Babyhood: Getting the Most from Your Parents in the Newborn Year(s)."

bubbaray
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
We have been using bubbles in the bath and he has been standing in the bath with me as he grabs bubbles.

What about trying bubbles outside on the grass (soft to fall on)???

arivecchi
Yes SSTE, it seems like he just does not want to walk! He is too efficient of a crawler so if it ain't broke, he is not fixing it.

brittone2
Brittone, the therapist recommends grabbing him by the waist and making him walk or tricking him into balancing all on his own. He cruises with his hands only (does not lean forward). We have been using bubbles in the bath and he has been standing in the bath with me as he grabs bubbles.

How does "making" him walk go? Sounds....umm....tough to do?

eta: fwiw, not walking at 17 months really isn't technically delayed, although it is good you are working on it with him/PT is working with him. I know it is frustrating though.

chays
Does he see well? I wonder if it could be his vision? My DS2 has poor vision and the opthamologist wants to put him in glasses when he starts walking.

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
What about trying bubbles outside on the grass (soft to fall on)??? I like this idea! I will try it at the park.

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
How does "making" him walk go? Sounds....umm....tough to do? Yeah, not so great. He throws a tantrum and crawls away.

brittone2
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, not so great. He throws a tantrum and crawls away.

Does he walk with a push toy yet?

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Does he walk with a push toy yet? Yes. He does do that well.

luckytwenty
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
My son walked at 16 1/2 months. (A week after we were told to do EI, and I had just made an appt. FWIW.)

Does he have a favorite finger food? This is how I got our very adept crawler to take some steps.

With him standing in front of me, I put a Goldfish cracker in my mouth and kind of pushed my face out at him. He grabbed the cracker and ate it and giggled. I did this a few times.

Then, I put the cracker and moved away slightly from him, so he had to reach. He did, got a little nervous by that, but he took it. I did this a few times.

Then, I moved about a step away from him with the cracker in my mouth. He took his first independent step (yay!!!) to get the cracker. My husband was meanwhile cracking and hooting, etc. to encourage him.

We got him to walk 4-5 steps with the cracker "game," and did it often for a few days until he was walking across the room (with me scooting backwards on my butt!) to get the cracker.

After that I also began taking walks with him, holding his hand the whole way...then letting go for a few steps, etc. Within a week or so, he was walking like he'd always been walking.

The nice thing about these late/hesitant/cautious walkers is once they start, they pick it up quickly and without many tumbles if any at all. My daughter walked at 12 months but fell often. My son never fell.

larig
06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I know I have told you this before but NINETEEN MONTHS! Nineteen looooong months. I thought I was going to need to enter phystical therapy for the back problems I was starting to develop! And in our case no actual problem noted - - not particularly weak, excellent form, a little tight hamstrings and slightly below average muscle tone but no real explanation. Except he didn't want to walk!

It was a running joke in our house that DS was in his crib at night secretly penning his book, "Maximizing Babyhood: Getting the Most from Your Parents in the Newborn Year(s)."

:rotflmao:

I laugh because that's how we felt too. DS walked at about 17.5 months. I knew he could do it, but he did not have any desire. He was fast as he needed to be crawling.

catpagmo
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My DS is 16 mos, and not yet walking either. In fact, he's just learning to stand on his own, without support. He's not in EI or anything (maybe I should have him evaluated), but I'm trying to "go with the flow". Sigh, and :hug:.

HIU8
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
FWIW, I did not crawl at all. I walked at 17 months. I never cruised, used a push toy etc.. according to my parents. One day I just got up and took a few steps. It is frustrating, but it will happen. they have video of me just sitting and crying when a toy rolled away from me (I didn't spin around either). About the only thing I did as a baby/toddler was sit.

Just wanted to say :hug:

happymom
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
My DD just started walking at 17 months. She also gets PT. I'm trying to remember what the therapist was doing with her that worked...but the truth is, every child walks in their own time and what worked for her may not work for your DS, yk? Plus I have no clue what your DS's "issues" are(low tone etc). I have to say though, the therapists suggestion about holding him by the waist and making him walk sounds a little strange. I remember you mentioning that youre not home during his session. Maybe you would want to arrange to be home 1x so you can see for yourself exactly what she is doing and then work on that with him.

A big part of what got DD walking was when she learned to go from sit to stand by herself without anything to help her up. Once she was able to do that, she walked all the time. I used to practice with her...She would sit on a low stool and I would hold her feet down firmly on the ground (leaning myself back so she couldnt use my shoulders to help herself up) and then she would have to stand without using her hands. She didnt like it, but we practiced as much as possible.

I know its hard (especially when everyone says- how old is your son? 17 months? Oh, he must be walking all over by now right?) but just remember that he's still in a normal range for learning to walk. I took DD to an orthopedist recently and he told me till 22months is considered ok! (Late, but not concerning as long as everything else is ok developmentally)

Before you know it your little guy will be running all over the place. :hug:

AnnieW625
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
have you tried putting him in some Crocs Cayman clogs? As soon as we did this for DD she felt more comfortable walking. DD wasn't a sufficient walker until she was almost 18 mos. old. DD didn't get any PT as the advice I had received from my DCP (former special ed teacher) and DDs ped. was to wait until 18 mos. for EI.

erosenst
06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
NOT to minimize working with EI - I think far too few people do it, and if he's just not ready to walk (ie not technically delayed/doesn't have underlying issues) it can't hurt. If he does have underlying issues, it makes a huge difference to start early, so you're doing the right thing.

But I walked at 19 months. My mother was a wreck. She was SURE there was something wrong with me. Nope - just not interested. My younger brother didn't walk til 18 months, and she was much less concerned.

DH also comes from a family of late walkers, and we've since learned that DD does things totally on HER schedule. At 15.5 months, she *finally* stood on her own (after cruising for 6 months). Literally two hours later, she was walking.

I think some kids just want to show who is in charge ;)

mommylamb
06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Hugs. He'll get there. You're doing all the right things. Some day you're going to look back at this and say to your DH as you watch DS running around causing havoc "can you believe we were ever concerned that he wouldn't do this?"

TwinFoxes
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
No great ideas here, just :hug: I know it must be frustrating.

arivecchi
06-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I hope you are right. I hope to be lamenting here about him walking all over the place in a couple of months.

mom2binsd
06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes SSTE, it seems like he just does not want to walk! He is too efficient of a crawler so if it ain't broke, he is not fixing it.

I think this is a very important observation...some kids even at a young age can sense a parents need for them to do something and seem to do the opposite. Just like many kids don't talk until later because all of their needs are being met, you DS probably doesn't see the need to walk right now.

My DD was 16.5 months when she walked, she went from rolling to walking.

I bet he's walking soon, and like you said, you'll be chasing him all over!

almostamom
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM

This describes my son at 18 months exactly! My friend used to joke that he had a motor in his tush. He crawled so efficiently he had no need to even try to walk. He would cruise around the furniture, but he would not walk and hold our hands. If we tried to hold his hand and walk, he would fall on his bottom and crawl. We scheduled a PT eval. He was 18 mos and 1 week. I swear this next part is true - the day before the PT eval he stood up and walked across the dining room - didn't wobble, didn't fall, didn't cruise. He just got up and walked. At his PT eval the next day, he nearly ran across the room. I understand your worry and frustration. I've learned that my DS is just a kid who does things on his own timetable. He cannot/will not be coaxed, bribed, helped, etc. into doing anything any earlier than when he is absolutely ready. Hang in there!

Linda

karstmama
06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
jameson was 24 1/2 months old before he walked. he had pt from the time he was 7 1/2 months. just a data point.

arivecchi
07-12-2010, 06:41 AM
DS2 started walking this weekend! He is still crawling as well, but he can definitely walk - a wobbly walk - but it's an unassisted walk! :cheerleader1:

Melaine
07-12-2010, 06:44 AM
DS2 started walking this weekend! He is still crawling as well, but he can definitely walk - a wobbly walk - but it's an unassisted walk! :cheerleader1:

:bighand::bighand::bighand:

TwinFoxes
07-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Such awesome news! Does this mean you won't need strollers soon? :eek:

dukie41181
07-12-2010, 07:13 AM

:boogie: :applause: :jammin: :yay:

Coun't pick just one!

dukie41181
07-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Does this mean you won't need strollers soon? :eek:

Something tells me this can't be true! ;)

MoJo
07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Woo hoo!:cheerleader1:

arivecchi
07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Such awesome news! Does this mean you won't need strollers soon? :eek: Given that DS1 is 3.5 and still riding, I think we still have a couple of stroller years left. ;)

MomToOne
07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
:cheerleader1: Way to go little guy :thumbsup:

elephantmeg
07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KpbS
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Great news!!! Yea! :cheerleader1:

WatchingThemGrow
07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Does it look like this :boogie: when he walks? Congrats, DS2!!! I knew he could do it!

amandabea
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Yay! That's great. Thanks for the update.

almostamom
07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

:bighand::bighand::bighand:

Great news!

Linda

mousemom
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Way to go! Good news for a Monday morning.

MZS V
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Yay, arrivechi! I'm so glad you won't have to worry about it anymore. Have fun!

happymom
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
:yay::yay::yay:
Wooooooohoooooooo! I'm so happy for you Arivecchi! Isn't it just so adorable- that drunken sailor walk? I find things to be so much easier now that DD is walking- I don't have to constantly carry her anymore.

Thanks for the update!!

arivecchi
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks all! It totally made my weekend! Of course, he did not want to walk in front of his PT this morning!

elektra
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks all! It totally made my weekend! Of course, he did not want to walk in front of his PT this morning!

Yay for DS #2! Sound like he still brings out his dictator side when he wants to show you who's boss though, huh?
"Walk when I'm supposed to show that I can? Never!"

sewarsh
07-12-2010, 01:44 PM
and he is now 17 months. He is in EI therapy. Anything else I should be doing? We try to practice with him but he immediately goes on the floor in all fours and crawls away. He is a super speedy crawler. He cruises well but is very cautious and walks slowly with us when holding our hands. I am trying to not worry too much. Any advice from moms with late walkers?

My DD didn't walk until 17.5 months and DS 18.5 months.
But both I could tell they could walk fine holding my finger, just when i let go they'd go to the floor. They were cautious. I persoanlly don't think that's the worst thing in the world! :)

If he's in EI and you're working with him, the only ohter thing I recommend is patience. It will happen. Give yourself and him a break. Good luck :)

andbabymakes3
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM

I love this! DD currently 13.5 months and very cautious about walking--lots of cruising and loves to walk holding our hands, but drops to the floor when we let go. Appreciate reading others' experiences as DS #1 and #2 both got up and walked about a week before their 1-year birthdays.

One question: what is EI??

Fairy
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Finally! Yay!

Melbel
07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
What great news!!! It brought me chills just thinking how relieved you must feel. :)

EI = Early Intervention for the PP who asked.

andbabymakes3
07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
EI = Early Intervention for the PP who asked.

Thanks! How is that different from PT though? I ask as DD is actually in PT for other reasons and she is being followed until she walks just to be sure. Wondering if there is something else I should be doing, though I think she is fine really.

AnnieW625
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Awesome!

ThreeofUs
07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
DS2 started walking this weekend!

Congratulations!! Glad to see the update!

lchang25000
07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Woohoo...that's great! Hip hip hooray! :cheerleader1:

lmh2402
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
congrats!! terrific news :bighand:

larig
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Hurray! I remember how thrilled we were when DS finally started walking. It took him a while to be good at getting back up, so he would crawl to the nearest wall, climb up it and then start walking again. He crawled part time for a good two weeks to a month after he started walking.

Melbel
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks! How is that different from PT though? I ask as DD is actually in PT for other reasons and she is being followed until she walks just to be sure. Wondering if there is something else I should be doing, though I think she is fine really.

Early Intervention is a program run by the government to provide services (including PT, OT, speech therapy) for children under 3, often in the home, free of charge, regardless of income. If you google your state or city and early intervention, you should be able to find more information specific to where you live. HTH!

Kitten007
07-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Great news!!! :cheerleader1: GO DS2 GO!!! :cheerleader1: Watch. He will run next week and you will be in BIG trouble! Congrats mama and DS2!!

andbabymakes3
07-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Early Intervention is a program run by the government to provide services (including PT, OT, speech therapy) for children under 3, often in the home, free of charge, regardless of income. If you google your state or city and early intervention, you should be able to find more information specific to where you live. HTH!

Thanks Melbel!