PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for one gift per decade of age for 80yo

Fairy
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
My grandfather's 80th bday party is Sunday, so of course, we're waiting till the last minute to do the gift part of this. We're giving him a bigger gift, but in addition, we want to do one gift that is representative of each decade of his life. He was born in 1930, and now it's 2010. So, we want to get him a gift -- a representation, really -- for the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, etc, all the way thru the 2000's, and now the 20-teen's (young as they are). So, for instance, for 1950, he would have been 20 that year, we could get him a book about the 1957 Chevy. We would *not* get him a bottle of Heinze 57 sauce. So, it's about the decade but also his age. Does anyone have any ideas? These should not be expensive or significant, they should be meaningful to the decade/age. And they have to be able to be purchased live and in person this week, no Internet orders. Here are ideas so far:

1930's - A children's book pulished in 1930
1940's - A popular game of the '40's, like pick up sticks or something (guessing)
1950's - A coffee table book about the '50's
1960's - ??? He was NO hippie; he was establishmenty
1970's - ???
1980's -
1990's -
2000's -
2010's -

Help!

gordo
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
60's - something about the Kennedy era or the moon landing
70's - rubiks cube?

gordo
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Is he from Chicago as well? How about the Super Bowl Shuffle for the 80s ;)

Twoboos
06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
2000's - might be too expensive but iPod shuffle (could be loaded w/music from all the decades)

All I can think of from the '80's is badly permed hair and AquaNet, LOL!!

Fairy
06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
He's actually from Mississippi, but he's lived in Chicago since before I was born. He's what I'd call a good ole boy at heart. That's good and ... not so great ... depending. He does love the south, tho he hasn't been there forever. Maybe shrimp & grits or soemthing. But not gonna find anything that isn't white and from a box, so that's pointless.

He's a vet, fought in at least one war, but it's not talked about that much. He's nota fatigues guy. He's very fit and 60'ish looking for his 80 years and works at a golf course right now for the enjoyment. I can get a bunch of golf tchotchkies, but I want this to be something representative of the decade in question, so ... ? Ugh.

He likes planes, maybe a model airplane from the 40's for the 40's.

I'm so stuck.

Fairy
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Oh, BTW, anhthing technical forget it. An iPod would be like me in a calculus class. Will not compute ...

GonnaBeNana
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM
What about a "This is Your Life" book with photos and informational bits about him and things about each decade? That would be personal and a great keepsake too.

Beth

happymom
06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Could you get him a cd with songs from a specific decade? Or dvd set of a tv show from a decade (I love lucy etc)?

I know you can't buy online, but check out this website for ideas...Type 1960s or whatever decade into the search box and it will give you lots of ideas.

Cute idea! Hope you can make it work!

infomama
06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Tall order. Since he was younger in the 50's I would do a CD for that decade and save the coffee table book for another decade..maybe when he served?
Google "invented in the 70's" (or whatever decade)..may give you some ideas

happymom
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
So did this gift idea work out Fairy? Did you end up doing it?

Just curious. :)

randomkid
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
So did this gift idea work out Fairy? Did you end up doing it?

Just curious. :)
:yeahthat: I wanna know what you did!!!

Fairy
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, guys! My mom and I came up with 8 (9) gifts. She did not do what I would have done, but ... I default to what she wants, whatever. You guys were really helpful! Here's what we did:

The Year You Were Born 1930 card/book thingie
Singing Hallmark funny bunnty characters guys card from me, DH and DS
----------------
1930 - The Little Engine That Could (I so owe you PP I forget from other thread!)
1940's - Big Band music CD
1950's - Polo shirt with Marines emblem on it (he was a Marine)
1960's - Book about planes of the '60's (he worked for a large aero company)
1970's - Olive oil (he lived in Italy in the 60's, but we just made it a 70's gift
1980's - Hand held video game 20 questions
1990's - DS made him a box with glued in "jewels" and decorated it inside and out, one of those cheap unfinished jobbers from Hobby Lobby (he worked in a jewelry store in the 90's)
2000's - All in one golf tool thingie (he works at a golf place even today)

If it were solely up to me, I'd've gotten him a model airplane instead of a book about planes. there was an add'l thing that went with the 60's that was also a book, but I forget what it was, and if it were me I'd've not done that one, either.

He did appreciate it, and I'm very glad he enjoyed himself. However, my poor grandmother jsut runs herself ragged. She won't let anyone help her wtih food, she wants to cook it all herself. She's 82 and needs to slow down. You'd think she were 50 from her deportment, but she's *not* and I worry about her.

Thanks for all the help everyone!