PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Hibiclense for bacterial rashes?

DrSally
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
DD has some bacterial red bumps on her bottom that have spread to the backs of her legs. I was treating 3 of them with bactroban and they were almost gone. Then, DH was in charge of diapering this weekend and I was shocked to see how they had spread down her legs to about 20! I gave her a bath with 1/4 cup bleach and am puting the ointment on again, followed by zinc diaper cream so it doesn't rub off. Wondering if anyone uses Hibiclense on ther DC's for bacterial rashes. It says you should keep it on for 5 minutes before rinsing. Not sure how that could be accomplished. Also, should not get it in your eyes/mucous membranes. Would have to be a quick bath. If you use it, what's your protocol?

cckwmh
06-22-2010, 05:39 PM
one of the protocols for treating MRSA and other similar type infections involves using hibiclens to entire body daily for 7 days, then once weekly for maintainance x 4 weeks. it is very drying. it is one of the options surgeons use when then "scrub" before surgery. moisturize thoroughly afterward if you use it.

put it on like you would wash during a sponge bath, then rinse off. it is very watery/runny, but it will suds up.

DrSally
06-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty sure this is bacterial, but not necessarily MRSA. I haven't taken her in though. Should I just apply to the areas with bumps? Leave on for a specified amount of time? Can I get this at CVS? I haven't seen it at Target, but I haven't looked.

YouAreTheFocus
06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
one of the protocols for treating MRSA and other similar type infections involves using hibiclens to entire body daily for 7 days, then once weekly for maintainance x 4 weeks. it is very drying. it is one of the options surgeons use when then "scrub" before surgery.

For this reason, we were advised NOT to use it on our (then) 4 mo old. The hospital recommendation was 1 tsp bleach per gallon of bath water 2x / week. They said hibiclense would be too harsh for the baby's skin. We have done the bleach bath twice a week for 4 mos and he hasn't had any skin problems since. FYI, they said it's fine to wash with baby soap while in the bleach bath, so he still comes out smelling like a baby!

DrSally
06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
For this reason, we were advised NOT to use it on our (then) 4 mo old. The hospital recommendation was 1 tsp bleach per gallon of bath water 2x / week. They said hibiclense would be too harsh for the baby's skin. We have done the bleach bath twice a week for 4 mos and he hasn't had any skin problems since. FYI, they said it's fine to wash with baby soap while in the bleach bath, so he still comes out smelling like a baby!

Thanks, maybe I shouldn't go so strong. She also has eczema, so I don't want to dry her out further. I have been doing the bleach bath--my ped said 1/4 cup. I haven't been good about doing it every week when she's not having pimples on her bottome. I should be more diligent about that.