PDA

View Full Version : Why Oh Why ....

slworld
06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
... did I not beg for BBB mojo. DS fell and hurt his wrist yesterday. There was no redness & hardly any swelling so I hoping it was just a sprain. Got an x-ray today & well he fractured his wrist! I was thinking about typing out a request for mojo today morning but totally forgot about it between work & DS.

I also feel terribly guilty. I left the barstool in the kitchen after dinner on monday (usually move it out cause DS loves to climb). He climbed onto it & thats how he fell :-(. Can't help thinking if only I was more careful, I could have avoided this.

Just had to vent. Thanks.

DrSally
06-22-2010, 05:39 PM
It could happen to anyone, don't beat yourself up. P&PT for a speedy recovery.

KrisM
06-22-2010, 05:44 PM
He might have just found something else to climb. Don't worry about that! Many people have kids who fall off the bed, down the stairs, etc.

I hope he has a speedy recovery!

edurnemk
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I felt just like that when DS got a big cut on his forehead and we ended up in the ER. But you know what, kids will have accidents and get hurt, we can't prevent it every time. We, moms, need to come to terms with that and get over the guilt. It's not like you neglected him, it was an accident, don't feel bad.

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon, I can't imagine my crazy 2 yo with a cast. Good luck.

hillview
06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Don't blame yourself. Kids fall we do the best we can. They learn. It is ok. Sorry he is hurt! It is NOT your fault!
/hillary

KathyN115
06-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Agree, it is not your fault! Kids fall! DD fell up, then down, the stairs when she was 2. I was standing right there, but somehow missed it. She ended up with a cast on her foot. It was not the most fun few weeks, but we survived and you will to! Hugs to you and your DS!

LMPC
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Yep, accidents happen to all of us! Sending you PT's and mojo for a very speedy recovery!!!

Hugs for you and your little one!

elephantmeg
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
aww hugs it could happen to anybody. Trust me I know! Hope he recovers quickly!

MamaMolly
06-22-2010, 09:25 PM
DD1 once fell and got a terrible bloody nose while WALKING on CARPET and was...............

.........holding my hand. (!!!!) Things happen.
:bag

Tondi G
06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
It happens to the best of us! My DS broke his R elbow, L forearm and then R forearm all within a 2.5 year span!!!! Accidents happen! Hope the 6 weeks in the cast fly by! Make sure you ask for GORTEX lining!!!! It will make life in the cast MUCH easier!

StantonHyde
06-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Here's my story:

We come back from dinner. DH and I are doing house stuff. DH is getting ready to go into work--his overnight shift as an ER MD. DS is jumping on the bed!!!!!! He gets up on the footboard and off he goes. He is a drama king so I figured he was doing the usual alligator wailing. DH is freaking out--he can tell DS's wrist is broken.

So DH says we have to calm him down before we go in--he opens a new DVD and puts it in and it helps. Meanwhile, DS is basically saying-help me, I'm dying, for the love of God somebody help me. oy vey.

So we take him in and DH gets him through quickly but talk about TOTAL bag over the head. I am amazed the nurses didn't give him crap--the one person who should know better than to have DS bouncing on the bed. heck, even I know the stupid book!!!!! yeesh.

And the year before that, DD was playing on the hearth (about 18" high) and fell off onto a fully carpeted floor and she only had 4 teeth. We thought she just had a lip lac and got it to stop bleeding. Put her to bed at 8 and she woke up each hour and cried for 15 mins and then back to sleep. At 11, she was really wailing so I went in to look--it was Amityville Horror. She had FILLETED open her tongue!!!!!!! I grabbed her and ran downstairs and shoved her in DH's face: "Fix this!". Fortunately, he didn't have to go to work till midnight that night so he was home. Went to the ped ER--he still had to go to work at 1 and left me there. They had to stitch her tongue it was so bad!!!! I was totally waiting for the Social Worker visit on that one!!!

TwinFoxes
06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Don't feel guilty! Things happen. My DN fell off a kitchen stool and broke her arm in a couple of place...while my MIL was watching her. :D (Clearly I NEVER EVER want DN to get hurt, but if it had to happen at least it was when the world's most knowledgeable mom *ahem* was watching her). The good news is it healed super fast, much faster than an adult's would. :hug:

Moneypenny
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Aww, these things happen. DD broke her foot when DH took her to the kiddie gym and let her bounce on the trampoline. It was just a minor fracture and she could walk on it again by the end of the day, but he felt awful. I wasn't there, so he called me and said, "Don't panic, everything's fine, but I BROKE OUR BABY!"

It's funny now.

DrSally
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Here's my story:

We come back from dinner. DH and I are doing house stuff. DH is getting ready to go into work--his overnight shift as an ER MD. DS is jumping on the bed!!!!!! He gets up on the footboard and off he goes. He is a drama king so I figured he was doing the usual alligator wailing. DH is freaking out--he can tell DS's wrist is broken.

So DH says we have to calm him down before we go in--he opens a new DVD and puts it in and it helps. Meanwhile, DS is basically saying-help me, I'm dying, for the love of God somebody help me. oy vey.

So we take him in and DH gets him through quickly but talk about TOTAL bag over the head. I am amazed the nurses didn't give him crap--the one person who should know better than to have DS bouncing on the bed. heck, even I know the stupid book!!!!! yeesh.

And the year before that, DD was playing on the hearth (about 18" high) and fell off onto a fully carpeted floor and she only had 4 teeth. We thought she just had a lip lac and got it to stop bleeding. Put her to bed at 8 and she woke up each hour and cried for 15 mins and then back to sleep. At 11, she was really wailing so I went in to look--it was Amityville Horror. She had FILLETED open her tongue!!!!!!! I grabbed her and ran downstairs and shoved her in DH's face: "Fix this!". Fortunately, he didn't have to go to work till midnight that night so he was home. Went to the ped ER--he still had to go to work at 1 and left me there. They had to stitch her tongue it was so bad!!!! I was totally waiting for the Social Worker visit on that one!!!

OMG! It must be comforting, at least, that your DH is a doctor, and an ER one at that.

StantonHyde
06-23-2010, 06:03 PM
We actually have a stock of Dermabond in the house. DD's head is capable of finding the only centimeter of uncovered/unpadded table edge. She has had her head glued together once a year for 4 years now!!!! Somehow DH is always home when there is blood involved--thank God. He is NEVER home for barf, poop, fevers etc.

slworld
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks mamas ... really needed this.