PDA

View Full Version : Rec your sandbox!

ncdel
06-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I"m thinking of getting a sandbox for my twins' 1st bday (well really my mom wants to...we know they may not get into it for a little while but she wants to buy something big/substantial).
We were looking at the adorable PBK one that is a boat but the reviews were sketchy about wear/tear & I'm not sure I want a large wood one that is difficult to move/put under deck for winter, etc.

I have seen 2 Step2 ones on Amazon.com (one has a picnic table attached, both are brown plastic) that look pretty nice & have good reviews. I don't really want the turtle one, I don't know why. I grew up w/ a homemade backyard one that was big & I know MH will not be on board with that (he's iffy about the whole idea, as he did not have one growing up) so I'm looking for any additional ideas/recommendations.

Thanks!

essnce629
06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
We had the Step 2 Naturally Playful Sandbox for DS1 and loved it. It was big enough for 2 kids (I took care of another little girl for 2 1/2 years) and the cover kept all water and bugs out. It never showed any wear or tear and I was sad when I had to sell it on CL when we moved into an apartment. We're back in a house now and we'll probably buy the same sandbox again for DS2. I've seen the Step 2 one with the table attached, but I'd probably want a separate table instead since I can see DS2 spending all his time throwing sand on top of the table!

We have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005U8TE

kristac
06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
We have the Naturally Playful box as well and have been happy with it for the most part but it is barely big enough for 2 kids IMHO. My boys would LOVE a bigger wooden one.

KrisM
06-26-2010, 08:55 PM
We had a small plastic one for 2 years and it got quickly outgrown. Now, we have a 8x8 wooden sandbox that at least 6 kids can fit in. I like having the big one, since friends can play too. I wouldn't spend too much on a small sandbox.

gatorsmom
06-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I recommend any sandbox that:

1)is on legs so the kids can stand at it. Mine like to move around the sides of the sandbox to easily get to other sides. Also, sandboxes that they sit in mean more messy sand to clean out of clothes and shoes

2)isn't a combination sandbox/water table. Buy a separate water table.

3) comes with a cover to keep plants from growing in it and cats and other little animals from "going" in it.