PDA

View Full Version : Movies you have a hard time watching

DrSally
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Everytime I see The Changeling listed on cable, I get queasy/sad feelings. That movie was so horrible to watch, for obvious reasons. Anyone else have a movie they have had a hard time watching?

edurnemk
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Requiem for a dream... I had nightmares for a week, and 9 years later I still regret having watched it.

There's others, but this one was the worst.

BeccaB.
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Schindler's List, Deep Impact, The Happening (had nightmares for three days afterward). I also have a hard time watching any scene where a character does something really embarrassing because I feel embarrassed for them.

gatorsmom
06-22-2010, 11:57 PM
The movie Seven with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman was hard for me to get over. I haven't watched it since I saw it that first time in the theater.

Schindlers List was the same way.

ETA Monsters Ball. I can't think of any good reasons to watch that movie.

kijip
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
American Me. It's a movie about a convict kingpin and his life in and out of prison. I walked out the day the professor played this for us in college. I had seen it before and I WAS NOT watching it again.

And I want to watch Precious. But I just can't right now. I loved the novel (Push) when it first came out so part of my trepidation with Precious is the subject matter and part is worrying about the movie messing up the book.

Fairy
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
There are many I can never watch again, most I loved but do not have the constitution to make it thru again, some that were god-awful.

Life is Beautiful
The Changeling
Schindler's List
Food, Inc.
District 9
ET
Pan's Labyrinth

Dumbo
Bambi
Charlotte's Web (original)
Cape Fear
Some terrible thing with a cow at a rodeo with broken legs being abused, and it haunts me to this day.

I know there are others that I'm just not remembering ... blocking out ...

shawnandangel
06-23-2010, 12:31 AM
The Fox and the hound
hostel
Pan's Labyrinth
The Grudge

sariana
06-23-2010, 12:48 AM
The Forgotten.

It's about parents who have "forgotten" their children, and I was so thinking I would be one who would just forget, and not one of those whose subconscious rebelled (trying not to spoil). The thought of "forgetting" my children, and not caring, terrifies me.

Sweetum
06-23-2010, 01:29 AM
The exorcist - more than being spooked, it was disturbing - the young child portrayed thus...ugh

life is beautiful
pan's labyrinth
monster - saw just the first half hour, and then couldn't take it

lalasmama
06-23-2010, 02:12 AM
We saw Precious on Valentine's Day. We both nearly walked out several times, and at the end, we still felt "dirty" and upset at having seen it.

Schindler's List I couldn't even make it through the opening credits. I got sick (literally) and haven't been willing to try again.

I can't stand any kind of slasher movie.

elektra
06-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Kids
Happiness

Both seriously effed up movies. I truly regret ever seeing these movies. First and last time for both for sure.

liz
06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
The movie Seven with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman was hard for me to get over. I haven't watched it since I saw it that first time in the theater. .

omg, me too! YEARS later, I still remember random parts of that movie and I feel sick. I can't believe that someone could think up things like that. totally regret watching it.

Reyadawnbringer
06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Last King of Scotland. Gave me nightmares for a week. Everytime I think about that movie I feel sick.

TwinFoxes
06-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Kids
Happiness

Both seriously effed up movies. I truly regret ever seeing these movies. First and last time for both for sure.

I never saw Kids, but "Happiness" was effed up.

I don't watch horror, or even vaguely scary movies (wimp here :waving4:) So most of these movies are on my list of "wouldn't have seen in the first place". My weakness is movies in which the mom dies, or can't get to her kids. I didn't like them, then my mom died, and I REALLY didn't like them, now I have kids and I REALLY don't like them.

Babe - never saw it, I know what happens. No thanks.
Dumbo - used to love it, no chance now.
Joy Luck Club - I saw this way before my mom died, and it still depressed me. There's no way I could sit through the scene where they all take pictures with their moms and one girl's mom isn't there.
Little Bear - Typical Disney, mom gets offed

Oh, and "I am Legend". I had NO IDEA what it was about. I like Will Smith. DH was out of town, I thought, hey, I'll go see this. OMG! Even the damn dog dies. Ugh.

mrshalco
06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
We saw Precious on Valentine's Day. We both nearly walked out several times, and at the end, we still felt "dirty" and upset at having seen it.

:yeahthat: Except I watched it on On Demand. I really can't see why "everyone" liked it.

wellyes
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I can watch murders all day long, apparently, but movies that imply sadistic, violent rape --- I can't. The two that spring to mind immediately are A Clockwork Orange & the Robert DeNiro version of Cape Fear.

maestramommy
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Parts of Life is Beautiful. That molesting scene in The Hand that Rocks the Cradle had me cringing in my seat.

KHF
06-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Echoing a PP, Seven and Monster's Ball are definitely on my list. I've never even tried to watch Schindler's List or Precious. I know I couldn't take it. Also, the movie where Jodie Foster gets raped right at the beginning..with Kelly McGillis. The Accused? Will never sit through that one again. Any movie showing a child being abused or molested is immediately turned off in my house.

And any of the Saw movies repulse me...just no redeeming qualities there at all. One of my brother's loves slasher movies (and broadway shows...what's up with that?), so he goes to see all of them. I won't even discuss them with him. I didn't mind the early Friday the 13th movies or Nightmare on Elm Street, but once they get past part three, it's just ridiculous.

I know there are more that I have started and turned off, but I've probably put up a mental block against them.

One that I need to watch, but thus far can't, is Food, Inc.

infomama
06-23-2010, 08:23 AM
The Changeling is a disturbing movie, I agree. For me it's pretty much anything with supernatural (specifically demonic like The Exorcist) themes or rape scenes (like in Traffic). Really brutal war scenes (Saving Private Ryan beach scene) and any brutalization of animals (can't think of an example).

lmintzer
06-23-2010, 08:24 AM
I wish I'd never seen Seven. Blech!

Melaine
06-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Hmmm pretty much all of the above. I have seen only a couple of movies mentioned in this thread, knowing I would hate them. I have a very low tolerance for this stuff. I particularly hate "end of the world" type movies and find anything that focuses on children being kidnapped or abused disturbing. I am really disturbed that in our society these things have become "entertainment" in any way shape or form. Even if they are supposed to be horrifying, I still maintain that something like that (involving children) should not be dramatized in any way.

egoldber
06-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Little Bear - Typical Disney, mom gets offed

Really? Not sure what Little Bear movie you mean, but I don't think this movie is the one you mean. And what is wrong with Babe? Or do you not mean the pig movie?

Honestly, I have a very hard time with any emotionally intense movie. So I have never seen and have no desire to see

...any movie about the Holocaust

....any movie where the main character dies

....any movie where a child dies

Just don't feel the need to go there. I do best with light comedy and action/adventure. Dramas are OK as long as they don't explore the above themes.

drako
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
My Sister's Keeper left me very sad. I didn't read the book and don't wish to...very upsetting.

clc053103
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
The Family Stone
When a Man Loves a Woman
Dying Young

malphy
06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
leaving las vegas

pinkmomagain
06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
OK, I'm going to pull up an obscure one: Eraserhead
I don't even think I got through the whole thing. But that's Lynch for ya.
Another movie that I have a love/hate relationship with is: A Clockwork Orange.

pinkmomagain
06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
leaving las vegas

Seeing that movie turned me off of alcohol for a looooooooooong time.

DrSally
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Requiem for a dream... I had nightmares for a week, and 9 years later I still regret having watched it.

That one was really intense and nightmarish. It really, really makes you not want to ever do drugs.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
omg as soon as i saw the subject line, "Changeling" was the movie i immediately thought of. that movie was so heart-wrenching and graphic and i saw it in the theater even before i was ever pregnant with DS. that night after i saw it (my DH was out of town, so i was all alone) i was unable to sleep. and i'm not usually bothered at all by graphic films (i'm a horror movie junkie, i watch Law & Order SVU all the time). it's just that Clint Eastwood's movies tend to be so very real. Million Dollar Baby was also a great movie but hard to watch.

actually, we have netflix and Changeling happened to be in our queue (i think my DH put it there, he hasn't seen it), the movie was sent to us and is sitting next to our dvd player, and has been for the past 2-3 months or so. i dont know, i dont think i can watch it again now that i have a little boy..i think i'd have nightmares for a week afterwards. it was an EXCELLENT movie and very moving, but disturbing as well.

another graphic movie was one called "Paradise Road", with Glenn Close in it..about women/children held in POW camps by the Japanese in WWII. Some very graphic scenese. i saw it and felt kinda sick for days afterwards.

eta: i've seen Seven a few times, and while it was very graphic and somewhat disturbing (esp the ending), didnt seem to bother me THAT much, probably because i know it's a fictional story, and it was very Hollywood-like dramatics. i've watched the original (Japanese) version of The Grudge, and while it was scary as hell watching it, i didn't bother me that much. I guess i'm not bothered that much by stuff i KNOW is fake/not real and is just there for dramatic effect. the Changeling was a real story, and that was part of what was so disturbing about it to me.

and i saw Life is Beautiful and i pretty much cried thru the whole thing in the theater. Not sure i could see it again now. I think ive become a lot more sensitive to things like this now that i have a son.

eta2: in grad school i saw the movie "Lilya 4-ever" which is a Russian movie (watched with English subtitles) was basically about a 16-year-old girl being forced into sex slavery in Sweden. even though it was a fictional story (i think) it is the most depressing and disturbing movie i have ever seen because i'm sure stuff like that is happening in real life. the movie did an excellent job of raising awareness of this issue though, which i guess was the point of it all, but man, this movie made me feel sick for days aftewards.

Fairy
06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh, and "I am Legend". I had NO IDEA what it was about. I like Will Smith. DH was out of town, I thought, hey, I'll go see this. OMG! Even the damn dog dies. Ugh.

Get the DVD and watch it with the alternate ending. You'll like it *alot* better.

fivi2
06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Requiem for a A Dream

American History X

Adam - a friend and I rented it when we were like 13 thinking it was just a regular horror movie or something. Awful. (the true story of Adam Walsh)

Slasher and horror movies and big action disaster/end of the world don't really bother me, but I tend to avoid the torture p0rn (such as saw, hostels, etc. Although I did watch the first Saw)

oh and wrt I Am Legend - read the novella by Richard Matheson. Very interesting book and NOTHING like the movie.

wellyes
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM

I am completely intrigued. What happens in Babe to make it a "no thanks?" (Babe 2 is a different story....)

lizzywednesday
06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
My Sister's Keeper left me very sad. I didn't read the book and don't wish to...very upsetting.

I read the book and enjoyed it until the ending. It ticked me off because it felt like Jodi Picoult rushed it to get a manipulative emotional episode. So infuriating!!!!

(But I've since read a couple of her other books and they feel the same way.)

I cannot watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street, not because of the gore, but because of the way Wes Craven manipulates the audience's perception of reality.

I didn't realize Life is Beautiful was a film about the Holocaust before I watched it ... and I spent the last 20 minutes sobbing. It deserved every award it got, but I don't know if I would watch it again.

I knew Pan's Labyrinth was violent and dark, but I didn't realize how violent and dark. I still think it's a great film, but not something I would watch again on a whim.

This may be cliche, but despite it being a powerful and well-made film, I also won't watch Sophie's Choice again.

I love Band of Brothers, but certainly have problems with certain episodes: the laundry episode and the death camp episode make me bawl every. single. time.

Oh, and this is going to be weird to some people, but the Disney animated version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow used to make me run screaming from the room. They showed it at school once as a treat when I was in the 6th or 7th grade and I asked to leave the auditorium and sit at the office. (Full disclosure: I'd been to Tarrytown regularly as a little kid, maybe 4 or 5, because my aunt attended Marymount and used to invite me for their "little sisters weekend." She made the mistake of telling me the Washington Irving story and I was terrified of the Horseman for YEARS afterward.)

I also have issues with scenes involving vomit (I have to leave the room during the pie eating scene in Stand By Me, for example) and won't watch movies with gore-for-the-sake-of-gore.

boolady
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Unbreakable.
The Shipping News.

Two movies that, for me, prove that 2 minutes of supposedly redeeming and happy at the end of a movie don't make up for 1 1/2 hours of watching bad things happen to otherwise good people for absolutely no reason at all.

scrooks
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
For me it's pretty much anything with supernatural (specifically demonic like The Exorcist) themes or rape scenes (like in Traffic). Really brutal war scenes (Saving Private Ryan beach scene) and any brutalization of animals (can't think of an example).

:yeahthat:

brittone2
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't read all of the responses, but one of DH's favs to watch when it replays on TV is The Green Mile. Good movie, but not one I want to watch twice. I really can't handle watching any dark movies more than once. The Green Mile is not even *that* dark but I hate anything pertaining to execution, etc. and that one makes me feel sick to my stomach.

scrooks
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I think I cried through most of that movie!:crying:
I honestly like a good teak jerker....

And I LOVE the movie Shawshank Redemption...I can watch the movie over and over again(the last half hour) but I don't like certain parts of it.

turtledove
06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Too many to name them all. I haven't watched a lot of the movies listed. I don't watch any slasher/horror film. No gratuitous violence or child rape. I had no desire to watch The Changeling

The Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda - I watched all of these in a fairly short period of time and decided I couldn't watch any more movies showing the horrors of Africa.

Like Beth said any movie where the main character dies - I feel like I just wasted my time. Pay it Forward, City of Angels, American History X...

The Apostle and Eye of the Beholder were just terrible movies.

I'm sure there are plenty I'm just blocking out now.

scrooks
06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I just keep thinking of them...
I have never seen Titanic because it has always bothered me that at the end the ship is going to sink....

Also..the Silence of the Lambs...I've seen 1 scene from it and had nightmares for a week.

Fairy
06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't read all of the responses, but one of DH's favs to watch when it replays on TV is The Green Mile. Good movie, but not one I want to watch twice. I really can't handle watching any dark movies more than once. The Green Mile is not even *that* dark but I hate anything pertaining to execution, etc. and that one makes me feel sick to my stomach.

If the movie bothered you, don't get near the original books.

goodnightmoon
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
The scene in The Titanic where the mother is reading to her children in bed as the ship sinks affected me more than probably any other movie has.

brittone2
06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
If the movie bothered you, don't get near the original books.

Yeah, I can imagine. I just don't like dark themes anymore. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older...if I watch a movie, I want to feel good afterward. After I had kids, for some reason it bothered me more to watch anything depressing.

I can handle action. DH loves the Bourne movies and they are on of the few "must watch" movies on his list that I can handle re-watching.

I hate any sort of horror movie. Didn't even like them in high school.

lizzywednesday
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I just keep thinking of them...
I have never seen Titanic because it has always bothered me that at the end the ship is going to sink....

Don't bother anyway; it's wretched. Seriously, it's the only movie I've ever really wanted my $$ back after seeing ... and I wasn't the one who paid for it!

It also made my butt go numb.

A better flick about the RMS Titanic is A Night to Remember.

Also..the Silence of the Lambs...I've seen 1 scene from it and had nightmares for a week.

The flick was a great big "meh" for me.

The BOOK, on the other hand, that gave me nightmares for weeks!

egoldber
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Exactly. Never seen it. No desire. No thanks.

But things like horror movies and Silence of the Lambs, etc. don't really bother me. It's the movies where you emotionally bond with a character and then they die. No thank you.

Momof3Labs
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Dumbo. Can't stand the part where the mother elephant is locked up and separated from Dumbo. :crying:

TwinFoxes
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I am completely intrigued. What happens in Babe to make it a "no thanks?" (Babe 2 is a different story....)

Doesn't Babe's mom get killed? That's a no-go area for me. :) I don't care if it's a kid's movie!

Sweetum
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Dumbo. Can't stand the part where the mother elephant is locked up and separated from Dumbo. :crying:
funny that that's the theme - DH was recently telling DS a story, and it was about a baby elephant about to be shipped off someplace because the zookeeper couldn't take care of it. He was trying a spin-off of "goodnight gorilla" and told him to stop! I couldn't take the separation:cry: and the zookeeper's decision (very realistic) :crying:and I started to sob a bit, since DS seemed to be really engaged, DH continued and made it a happy ending.

ewpmsw
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a tough time with slasher and horror movies and don't generally watch them. Forensic and psychological thrillers fascinate me, but I still can't stomach the graphic violence. Same with war movies. I was better before I was a mom. Once our first arrived, I was a mess over the news, all kinds of movies and shows... Stories about children or animals being hurt or killed really affected me when I was a new mom. It got better for a while, but is back to being a little much now. I leave the room so DH or whoever is present won't see me get all teary and emotional.

The strong reaction is strange, because the work I did before becoming a SAHM involved clients who had committed some horrible and often violent crimes. I was pretty good at separating myself from the horror in their files in order to do my job, but can't do that for a freakin' movie or L&O episode? Sheesh.

rlu
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Where the Red Ferns Grows, Old Yeller (I hope DS never has to read those books). They showed them to us at school for pete's sake. Do they think we need to deal with death in our early years - most of us already had thanks for dredging up those memories of my dog dying. I've never seen My Friend Flicka but from what my friend told me, it belongs in this category too (ok, reading the wiki this one has a happy ending).

I don't do slasher or horror movies (as previously mentioned, I didn't see Jaws until DH convinced me and he told me when to close my eyes). I've never seen Psycho, know the ending, don't need to see thank you very much, suspense movies stress me.

I haven't seen Schindler's List nor Saving Private Ryan, two movies I probably should but can't bring myself to see.

Pan's labryrth - saw a few scenes and had to turn it off at the fairy (whatever) scene

Lord of the Flies (book too)

eta: I made my peace with Dumbo when DS asked to watch it. Her part of the story ended better than I remembered from childhood. And I love the wordplay in When I See an Elephant Fly

egoldber
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
My Friend Flicka

OMG hated that movie as a kid.

rlu
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Stories about children or animals being hurt or killed really affected me when I was a new mom. It got better for a while, but is back to being a little much now. I leave the room so DH or whoever is present won't see me get all teary and emotional.

I had to quit watching CSI and Without a Trace for this reason - too many kid episodes (and I pick and choose the Criminal Minds episodes I watch).

s7714
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I can't stomach a lot of war movies. Especially the based on a true story ones where units or soliders get stuck in a never-get-out situation. Horror and suspense/intense drama movies I also don't prefer to watch for similar reasons.

DrSally
06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
The scene in The Titanic where the mother is reading to her children in bed as the ship sinks affected me more than probably any other movie has.

OMG, that makes me want to cry just thinking aobut it.

In general, I like tragedies.
NOT horror movies (one of my professors called it violence porn)
The thing about the Changeling, is not even necessarily the graphic nature, but the hinting at things that had happened, and the constant sense of overpowering loss, ominous dread, and gnawing heartache at losing her son and not knowing what happened to him. Eastwood did a really good job of evoking that mood and what it must feel like to lose a child. Not something I can tolerate well though. As I type, it occurs to me that having been an orphan (different situation but a parent "loses" their child) myself prob plays into my feelings about this movie.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Anything with war or mentally ill people being treated badly.

Never in my life again do I want to see "Legends of the Fall." Basically I hate sweeping, epic dramas.

I can't handle prison movies well usually but love Shawshank Redemption even though I have trouble watching it.

I have never tried to see Schindler's List b/c I know I couldn't handle it at all.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM

I don't remember that part, probably b/c I saw it pre-kids. But, the old couple laying down together in bed while the boat was sinking absolutely killed me. That was the hardest part of the movie for me.

Beth

chickadee
06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Mystic River

Wish I never saw it. DH heard was good. Didn't like ANY of the characters and bad things happen to people from start to finish and no resolution to even save it in the end. Felt horrible and couldn't get it out of my head for weeks.

fivi2
06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
re: My Friend Flicka

I never saw the movie, but I LOVED LOVED LOVED the books when I was young. There were 3, I think. I don't remember anything terrible, but I wasn't a sensitive kid.

My point is, don't rule out the books if you have kids that love horses (preview them first, of course!)

Corie
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Steel Magnolias.

Yet every time it's on tv, I stop everything I'm doing and I get sucked right in.

I sob every single time at the exact same moments.

BigDog
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
My Dog Skip. Most horrible movie ever.

new_mommy25
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I watched My Sister's Keeper a few weeks ago and sobbed like a baby. Deep, heaving sobs the whole movie through.

Also, The Road, with Viggo. DH rented that and I spent most of the movie under the covers. It was terrifying.

Someone mentioned Shindler's List. THat, and most movies where there are horrific scenes, or young children dying. I have a really hard time with a lot of movies. I dwell on them, get nightmares, etc. Stephen King's The Mist comes to mind. I saw that years ago and to this day am still haunted by the awful ending. Now that I am a parent, my tolerance is much lower. I try to stick to comedies or dramas that don't include graphic scenes.

Carrots
06-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I read My Sister's Keeper, and was disturbed, so I have no desire to see the movie. I also found "Rachel Getting Married" very upsetting. Any movies about dogs that die in the end bother me. I couldn't sleep for days after seeing "The Blare Witch Project".

HonoluluMom
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Spooky movies like Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

frgsnlzrds
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
You're going to laugh at me.

I have never been able to sit through the Molly Ringwald movie "For Keeps."

The one where she gets pregnant in high school and moves in with her boyfriend? I get to the part where he has the opportunity to cheat on her and goes out with his ex-girlfriend, and I get nauseated. Hits a nerve. (Not because DH cheated on me way back when, but because we had D when I was very young, and it seemed like a possibility.)

Sweetum
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Like I said, Pan's Labyrinth - at the end of the movie I insisted that the little girl was still alive ... that was the only way I could stop myself from crying...

I was in tears throughout the first part of the book "the exodus" - I will always remember the part where the little girl is sent away on a train with her lovey ...

Fairy
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Like I said, Pan's Labyrinth - at the end of the movie I insisted that the little girl was still alive ... that was the only way I could stop myself from crying...

I was in tears throughout the first part of the book "the exodus" - I will always remember the part where the little girl is sent away on a train with her lovey ...

I had the same problem with Pan's Labyrinth. I loved it and thought it was brilliant, but then the end. And I was devastated. Never again. Ever.

zoestargrove
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
so many that were listed are either movies I couldn't bring myself to see or found deeply disturbing.

One that hasn't been mentioned was Blood Diamonds. haunting images i wish I could undo - I wish were not someone's reality.

ThreeofUs
06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
So many any more that I can't list them all. I was fine with most movies B.C., but now I can't deal. Something about my emotional distance from the world being compromised, I suppose. A light comedy or something bloodlessly sci-fi is more my speed these days.

(I've also worked an ER, so I've seen a lot of things happen to good people and just don't need *any* more of that.)

swissair81
06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
The list of movies I can watch is much shorter than the list of movies I can't. Anything scary, disgusting, disturbing, embarrassing, horrifying, violent, etc...

One movie that does stand out (because I was forced to watch it in college for sociology) is Lord of the Flies. Just- ugh!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
OMG, that makes me want to cry just thinking aobut it.

In general, I like tragedies.
NOT horror movies (one of my professors called it violence porn)
The thing about the Changeling, is not even necessarily the graphic nature, but the hinting at things that had happened, and the constant sense of overpowering loss, ominous dread, and gnawing heartache at losing her son and not knowing what happened to him. Eastwood did a really good job of evoking that mood and what it must feel like to lose a child. Not something I can tolerate well though. As I type, it occurs to me that having been an orphan (different situation but a parent "loses" their child) myself prob plays into my feelings about this movie.

exactly. i guess what was really hard about this movie is that the main character was totally alone in her quest to find her son..essentially nobody(the LAPD etc) believed her and people just assumed she was insane. i can't imagine going through something like that (child going missing), in a time when women barely had gotten the right to vote and basically had no real right to do anything.

1964pandora
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Requiem for a Dream-- needle in infected arm
Boys Don't Cry
Dancer in the Dark
Anything with torture scenes-- William Wallace being tortured in Braveheart comes to mind
Almost all Horror-- I get a queasy feeling even thinking about the Saw films
American History X-- the curb scene
Pulp Fiction-- Uma gets adrenaline shot
Deliverance
Sophie's Choice-- the scene where she makes her choice

Susan

lizzywednesday
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
... I couldn't sleep for days after seeing "The Blare Witch Project".

OK, so I enjoyed all the hype leading up to Blair Witch, but seeing the movie made me sick to my stomach.

The handheld cameras and the actors spinning around when they were hearing things made me SO seasick, I nearly vomited. I wasn't alone.

I haven't been able to watch it again.

Penny's Pappa
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
OK, so I enjoyed all the hype leading up to Blair Witch, but seeing the movie made me sick to my stomach.

The handheld cameras and the actors spinning around when they were hearing things made me SO seasick, I nearly vomited. I wasn't alone.

I haven't been able to watch it again.

Don't bother. It's insanely boring after the first viewing.

I have to say, a lot of the movies posted here are ones that I would post in the "what movies must you watch if you stumble across them... (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=363006)" thread!

Fairy
06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Don't bother. It's insanely boring after the first viewing.

ITA. All that, and then you get to the end, and you're like ... that's it?! Save your $$ and time.

DrSally
06-23-2010, 09:09 PM
So, I've heard some stellar reviews of Pan's Labyrinth. I have it on Tivo, but haven't watched it yet. Since it has subtitles, I can't watch and surf the web or read at the same time.

Indianamom2
06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm not a big movie-goer or watcher, but the couple that come to mind are:

Saving Private Ryan: DH and I actually saw this on our first date. We doubled with my roomate and his brother, who were dating at the time. I am not one with a weak stomach, but the first 30 minutes of that movie almost did me in. I think knowing that so many men actually did die, probably much like those men, was the hard part.

Schindler's List: I appreciate what it was. I'm glad (in a way) that I saw it once because I think sometimes you need to see to understand. That being said, I don't need to see it again.

Seven: No idea why I saw it in the first place...but no thanks!

I won't go see any horror films or those that are violent, so we mostly watch comedies around here!

SammyeGail
06-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Really late in here! I decided to watch a movie on the computer (netflix) while the boys were watching one on the TV the other evening.

Maybe it was just me, or that I never expected the movie to bother me the way it did, but it was "Blindness" with Julianne Moore. I was kind of in shock and had nightmares. Anyone else see it?

Seeing "My Sisters Keeper" recently did make me cry, Shindler's List left me sobbing in the theater, I couldn't even get up. Another young lady my age was 2 rows in front of me (with a date standing in the isle like mine looking clueless and embarrassed ;)) I went and sat with her and we cried together for about 20 minutes! It came on HBO recently and I set it up to record it. Its on my DVR, I do feel like I will watch it again one day. I saw it with an ex, DH's mom's grandparents survived the Holocaust, so there is now a connection.

I used to like horror movies, I knew they weren't real and watched for the craziness and special effects. (yes, I liked Saw). I read alot of Stephen King and Dean Koonz. After the boys were born, things changed alot. If they hadn't I would think something was wrong with me!

Now horror movies like Saw sequels are just stupid to me.

I love action, suspense, some drama if it has some action or suspense, lol. I don't like chick-flicks, but have caught myself watching one and liking it :bag.

I can watch all the CSI's, TV shows that have some strong issues brought up (like children) can get to me a bit, but I tell myself its all fiction. Sadly there is enough real stuff that has happened to bother me, stories I will never forget.

Some movies I saw mentioned I had to google and may have to watch. Once. If its a good portrayal of how life is for some people, I look at it as, I can't find the right word, ?educational? for me. I want to understand and know that you never know someone's past, where they've been, what they've been thru.

I did see The Changeling and don't care to watch it again. I don't consider it emotional scarring, probably because I'm not an Angela Jolie fan. (sorry) It was a horrible movie, in what it was about. Clint Eastwood is another story!

If you want a good tear jerker at the end, watch "Grand Torino" with Clint Eastwood, your DH will even like it. It was special for me with my mom passing away 18 months ago and my Dad finding his own place. It looks like a guy movie but I loved every minute of it. My mother always loved anything with Clint Eastwood, its because my Dad favors him alot :). (-15 or 20 yrs).

natness
06-23-2010, 11:51 PM
There are only three movies I completely regret seeing: Deliverance, Kids, and The Cook, The Theif, His Wife, and her Lover. Hate hate hate. There really should be a vomiting smiley.

fattytuna
06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Saw.

I only saw the first one and never wanted to see any of the other ones.

s7714
06-24-2010, 12:41 AM
So, I've heard some stellar reviews of Pan's Labyrinth. I have it on Tivo, but haven't watched it yet. Since it has subtitles, I can't watch and surf the web or read at the same time.

Personally, I thought it was a fabulously done dark fairy tale and wouldn't have any problem watching it again. I can see why some people would find it too dark however.

Roleysmom
06-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Yep.

And like another poster:
Kids
Happiness

I would have walked out on Happiness but I was with people I just met for the first time and for some reason that kept me from walking out.

I did walk out on a Jim Jarmusch movie, the one with Iggy Pop as a transvestite cannibal and Johnny Depp as the lead character. Cinephiles role their eyes at me when I say how much I hated that movie. Too bad. That was an awful movie. I couldn't sit through it the first time let alone watch it again.

Also hate Leaving Las Vegas. Disturbing.

hellokitty
06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Just about any horror movie I do not like. I think that last scary movie I saw was, The Ring and it was extremely disturbing to me. We saw Seven too and I agree, it is right up there with the, how the @#$% did someone think of making a movie like this?!?!

Really sad movies, esp ones involving children, are really difficult for me. The Kite Runner movie was hard and then I read the book and it was even worse (the violence and the rape scene). The House of Sand and Fog had me bawling and angry as hell. I still cannot think about that movie without an emotional response of anger and sadness. Life is Beautiful was really hard too. I'm finding that as I get older and esp now as a mom, that movies like this are really hard for me. I've had, The boy with the striped pajamas on my netflix queue forever, but a friend told me it was really, really sad, and now I'm reluctant to watch it.

lizzywednesday
06-24-2010, 08:59 AM
... I've had, The boy with the striped pajamas on my netflix queue forever, but a friend told me it was really, really sad, and now I'm reluctant to watch it.

Switch it for a romantic comedy!

I read the book and bawled.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
OK, what is this "Kids" movie? I've never hear of "Happiness" either.

Cheburashka
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Requiem for a Dream. One of my high school teachers actually recommended it as a movie everyone should see once, so I watched it. Never again.

Torture porn. Like Hostel, the Saw movies, I can't stand that level of gore. I know it's fake, but it still grosses me out.

Any movie where animals die. Eight Below, I Am Legend, Charlotte's Web, All Dogs Go to Heaven. I even have a hard time watching Happy Feet because of the part where Mumble gets stuck in a zoo.

larig
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
I can watch murders all day long, apparently, but movies that imply sadistic, violent rape --- I can't. The two that spring to mind immediately are A Clockwork Orange & the Robert DeNiro version of Cape Fear.

I also have a hard time with any movies that depict discrimination of any kind.

Neelloc
06-24-2010, 12:30 PM
"Slumdog Millionaire While I liked it and was glad I watched it once, I don't think I could ever sit through it again. I think the scene where they tortured that young boy disturbed me most of all.

"Precious" Again, an excellent film but I felt emotionally spent after watching it. The Mother was so vile and repulsive and it makes you fathom how human beings can act like that.

"The Happening" Dh and I started watching it and we turned it off after 15 minutes, I couldn't stomach all the suicides and people dropping out of the sky.

When I was younger I used to love the campy horror movies like "Sleepaway Camp" and "Horror High." My best friend and I used to rent them and poke fun at how corny they were. Now I can't take much gore, I tend to close my eyes even at network TV during super gory parts. I have to admit, I do like watching movies like "Final Destination" on cable channels like USA where they edit out a lot of the gore and it's left to the imagination. It's like horror "lite." :ROTFLMAO:

wellyes
06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
OK, what is this "Kids" movie? I've never hear of "Happiness" either.They are ironically titled indie movies. Kids is about poverty, teenagers, AIDs and exploitation. Happiness is about pathetic people being miserable, then things get worse.

I don't think either one is a bad movie, but they're challenging rather than enjoyable. Definitely not for everyone. Not my cup of tea at this stage of life, for sure.

Which reminds me: "Trainspotting". NO THANK YOU. Great soundtrack, I'm glad it brought Ewan McGregor to us, well-done in many ways but no. No toilet diving. No dead babies. No.

slworld
06-24-2010, 01:35 PM
I can watch murders all day long, apparently, but movies that imply sadistic, violent rape --- I can't.

also anything involving children, torture. I don't really mind horror or supernatural or sci-fi but my tolerance is definitely not the same after having kids.

Sweetum
06-24-2010, 02:14 PM
"Slumdog Millionaire While I liked it and was glad I watched it once, I don't think I could ever sit through it again. I think the scene where they tortured that young boy disturbed me most of all.

ITA. I would never watch that movied, and btw, I didn't like it. It was NOT a feel good movie :( The kids as street beggars is one of saddest things that I've had to deal with all my life - it's insanely heart-wrenching. Makes me think why is there such a thing as money...

newg
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM
little late to the thread..........but I dont like any scarry/horror movies, movies where animals or kids are hurt in any way, and now that I'm a mommy I just don't like sad or depressing movies.....................and I'll never watch Beaches.
I want to be happy, laughing or feel energized after a movie.

Momit
06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Nothing new here:
Blair Witch Project
Babe
A Clockwork Orange
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

Can't stand anything with bad things happening to animals. The others just freaked me out for some reason, and I usually like scary movies.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
They are ironically titled indie movies. Kids is about poverty, teenagers, AIDs and exploitation. Happiness is about pathetic people being miserable, then things get worse.

I don't think either one is a bad movie, but they're challenging rather than enjoyable. Definitely not for everyone. Not my cup of tea at this stage of life, for sure.

Which reminds me: "Trainspotting". NO THANK YOU. Great soundtrack, I'm glad it brought Ewan McGregor to us, well-done in many ways but no. No toilet diving. No dead babies. No.

OMG. I love E. McGregor, BUT, that scene with the baby is horrible. It's so hard to get that image out of your mind. I looked up the other 2 movies. Definitely "challenging" is prob a good word.

BeccaB.
06-26-2010, 11:58 AM

The book is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the movie. Terribly sad. May have used a whole box of tissues for it. Saw the movie a few years after having read it. The movie blew.

BeccaB.
06-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Thought of another one. I can't watch the death scene in Braveheart when the main character gets killed. I don't choose to watch that movie ever again, once was definitely enough. That last scene was terrible though. I had to look away. My brother and dad thought my reaction was better than the movie. They laughed and laughed.

mom2one
06-26-2010, 11:48 PM
I am late to join this thread - but wanted to add mine.

1403 - love John Cusack, but could not watch the whole thing.

The English Patient -both DH and I thought it was a form of torture to watch the whole movie.

lizzywednesday
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM

The English Patient -both DH and I thought it was a form of torture to watch the whole movie.

Read the book.

Michael Ondaatje's writing is so poetic, it's nearly impossible for me to fathom how they thought the novel would translate to the screen properly. (And this is coming from someone who has a major thing for Ralph Fiennes!!!)

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
OK, I apologize for bumping this thread needlessly, but didn't want to start a new one ... and didn't want to post in the BP as it's not really a b!tch, but a great movie that I absolutely CANNOT watch now as it hits far too close to home is Something the Lord Made with Alan Rickman and Mos Def.

The description in the TV guide thingy from the cable company doesn't mention that it's about the first treatment for the condition my DD has, just that the work was pioneering and the co-developer was African-American and he faced racism.

Honestly, it's a powerful story and one well worth telling, but after the news we got at DD's cardiologist the other day, it made me cry and cry and cry.

DrSally
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
OK, I apologize for bumping this thread needlessly, but didn't want to start a new one ... and didn't want to post in the BP as it's not really a b!tch, but a great movie that I absolutely CANNOT watch now as it hits far too close to home is Something the Lord Made with Alan Rickman and Mos Def.

The description in the TV guide thingy from the cable company doesn't mention that it's about the first treatment for the condition my DD has, just that the work was pioneering and the co-developer was African-American and he faced racism.

Honestly, it's a powerful story and one well worth telling, but after the news we got at DD's cardiologist the other day, it made me cry and cry and cry.

Oh, I can imagine, with everything being so raw for you. :hug5: I must have missed a previous thread, I hope she's ok.
I haven't seen the movie, but heard it's good. I can't imagine watching it if my DC had the same condition.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh, I can imagine, with everything being so raw for you. :hug5: I must have missed a previous thread, I hope she's ok.
I haven't seen the movie, but heard it's good. I can't imagine watching it if my DC had the same condition.

The treatment was pioneered to correct pulmonary stenosis and opened the door to the treatments my DD had at 12hours & 6 days old to correct hers. (Unfortunately, we just learned that she will need another intervention at some point because her stenosis is worsening. The news was unexpected.)

It is a GREAT movie & should be seen widely, but I just can't do it again. The CGI cyanosis on the infant actor was awful! It reminded me of DD's first days in the ICU.

DrSally
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear it's worsening. I hope the doctors are able to provide a good solution for her. I know it's hard hearing unexpected news and then not knowing what's going to happen.