PDA

View Full Version : Moving is so hard, sad, tiring and emotionally draining

plusbellelavie
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Monday the movers came to start packing for our International move and they will be here until Friday. Fortunely the group of men they sent are fantastic and really doing their maximun not to disrupt things as much as they can...they are leaving the beds until Friday morning and the kitchen stuff until Thursday that way we don't have to go camp in a hotel at night! The foreman said it would be easier for the baby to sleep in his own bed with all the other changes! I thought that was so awesome of him!

Unfortunately the washing machine broke today and they can't fix it until Thursday! And with an 18mth old I am really attached to my washing machine... and hopefully that will be the only negative thing to happen during the move!

The kids come home after school to see what of their stuff is "gone" and today they cried because the movers had packed their CD player so they couldn't finish listening to their CD tonight! They are emotinally spent and I think the movers could have packed their toothbrushes and they would have cried!

On top of everything they have started saying their good-byes to their friends and it so sad! Everyone is an emotional wreck! I am trying so hard to keep it together but I am not looking forward to Friday at school...the tears will be flowing! My heart breaks for them and as a mother it hurts to see them so sad!

On the positive note it is nice to see what great friends my kids have made and are to others! They have worked hard to integrate themselves into the French culture and school system and it wasn't always easy especially the first year or two...kids can be very hard with one another but adults are not always very helpful nor very understanding!

It was a learning experience for all of us and it feels like once you finally settle yourself and the kids it is time to leave but all good things must come to end and there is another adventure and friends to be made in Princeton! And although I can't do it or say it too much in front of the kids I am so :yay::boogie::banana: to be returning to the US! Not that I have had a bad time here but life is different here and so is the outlook on many issues and as openminded as I feel as I am there are certain things that I guess I am blocked on and so we didn't always see things eye to eye...but I think that happens no matter where you live! But in the US I feel like I can express myself and not be told that because I am not "French" I don't get it!

I guess all in all I am just emotionally spent and it so hard to keep it together for everyone else....did I mention how tired I am....it really has been nonstop for 6wks here! And, with the 3 kids and trying to make sure they are in a "good place mentally" is not easy!

Well thanks for listening to another of my long vent!:loveeyes:

kozachka
06-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Moving is stressful, especially with kids, especially internationally, and especially when you've been gone for a while. We've moved from Europe to US after being gone for almost 4 years, and it was difficult. The initial adjustment wasalso not as easy as I thought it woul be but it was for the best, and is totally worth it since it's for the long term. Take it one day at a time and don't put too much pressure on yourself or your family. This too shall pass, and things will get better.

dcmom2b3
06-23-2010, 01:19 AM
I so get the "you're not French, so you couldn't possibly understand" thing. Ugh. There's no shame in being happy to come back to the US but bittersweet for your LOs to leave friends and a place they've grown to love.

Goodness knows, if I had to do the kind of move you're doing, I'd be tempted to pack 2 weeks of clothes, 3 weeks of underwear, favorite toys/lovies and just leave everything else behind. Not feasible or responsible, but soo tempting!

Hugs and wishes for an uneventful transition back to the states!

gatorsmom
06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I so get the "you're not French, so you couldn't possibly understand" thing.

I totally get that too. It was frustrating. But of course, I just lobbed the same argument back at them when they argued about America (which the French LOVE to do).

I'm so sorry you are going through this trying time. In a years time, you'll be back here and most likely completely settled in. :hug: And welcome back!

JustMe
06-23-2010, 12:10 PM
What a difficult transition! Yes, moving is so hard, but an international move is exponentially much harder! Hang in there, though. Once you and the kids are settled and back in the US, things will look (and feel!) a lot brighter.

plusbellelavie
06-24-2010, 12:16 AM
thank you for the kind post! It is nice to be "heard" and be able to vent a bit w/out feeling as your a being judged! And as wonderful of listerner DH is...he just doesn't have much empathy he is the type to want to "fix" it not "discuss" it so to speak! Plus he has so much happening at work it is incredible how he juggles so many things!

This morning I am sitting in my half empty house listening to the birds sing outside and having my cup of coffee before everyone is up and it is peaceful and sad to know that I just past my last night in this house...because today they are packing up the beds because they should be able to fill up the container tomorrow morning and be done!

I know I shouldn't feel guilty about looking forward to going back to the States but I do because I see that my kids are happy here finally and although I know that within a year they will have made friends and be happy in the States it is hard to celebrate in their time of saddness KWIM? 2yrs ago if we had told them we were moving back they would have been jumping for joys these days they want to tell DH husband that he isn't nice for retiring and making Daddy go back to the States to replace him!

I have made wonderful friends here and have learned a lot about living in a different country it will be hard to say good bye but I have great memories, friends, and the best souviner ever our DS2 our little "French" baby when I get back to the States!

Thanks again for understanding!

fedoragirl
06-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Moving is very emotionally draining...so hope you and your kids readjust back to the States very fast.
I moved to about 10 schools during my K-12 school life. It was wrenching but it made me very adaptable to situations in my adult life, so that's always a benefit. it also made me cherish my friends and really get into letter writing, emails, and cards....sadly, I don't do the letter writing anymore. What a lost art...anyway I digress.
I think moving is terrible but on the positive side, your children will be learning through this experience, and will be the coolest kids thanks to the international experience. :wink2:

On another note, I will be asking for LOTS of support when it's time for me to move to Germany next year. I am fighting it tooth and nail, but it will happen and I am just so anxious about leaving my good ol' U.S.A. Whatever one may say about Americans, we are the most accepting of different cultures and ethnicities. We are more about inclusion. I have never had anyone other than an immigrant ask me, " Ok, so you're American, but where are you really from?"

maestramommy
06-24-2010, 01:35 PM
:hug: I saw your thread and had to click on it, to see how things have been going. It IS so hard to move. My family moved quite a bit when I was young, including overseas, and it's challenging to settle in a new place, make friends, then have to leave again!

Hope things run smoothly as you make your way stateside!