PDA

View Full Version : Those with houses on the market, how's it going?

Ceepa
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
DH has a job offer in State A (yay!) but we would have to sell this house in State B (boo!) and look for housing in the new area. The plan right now is for DH to go and rent a place when he starts work and DC and I continue getting ready for this place to go on sale. We would then join him and begin the house hunt.

He isn't accepting the position until he receives more information so I don't want to say too much and jinx it. :D

I try to research the schools, etc., in State A while getting things ready for possible sale here. We moved a lot when first married but now that we have small children it's complicated and stressful.

Anyone else on the real estate roller coaster?

brittone2
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
We just moved out of state and didn't put our house up until after we left since we had a newborn at the time (and didn't find out where we were going until a month or so before we moved).

We weighed renting for a year vs. something w/ a shorter term option, but the short term leases were mostly corporate places, and were small, and we would have had to rent a storage space. I couldn't imagine doing that for a year if our house in NC sat on the market.

2 weeks in we got an offer. Fingers crossed, we are scheduled to close in a few days. The market in NC was really never all that inflated in our area, so that helps. We aren't making anything on that house after living there 5 years but we are breaking even and covering our realtor's fees. In this market, I'm thankful for that.

Fingers crossed. I'm happy, but kicking myself at the same time for not doing a short term lease. If we had done so, surely our house would have sat for a year though.

best of luck to your family. It certainly *is* a rollercoaster. I know I'll be on the buying end in a few months as the end of our lease approaches and that will be its own rollercoaster (and yet *another* move. ugggh).

ShanaMama
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
We are very much on the roller coaster. As in I have no idea where I'll be living in a month or two and DD is not yet registered for school in September because I don't know which town to register her in. We are in contract on a house in the new town A. But we are very close to losing it because we aren't able to sell our house in town B. I am so conflicted at this point that I don't even know what I want anymore. I want very much to live in town A in the long run & I really dislike this town & dread the thought of raising our family here. However, I have a really great work life balance here & my kids have great friends & neighbors. Things are good. We'll be trading that for a long commute for DH plus probably full time work for me (which I have to find...) and the whole adjustment for our kids. Did I mention that although I am so thankful for our smooth & relaxed lifestyle right now I really don't want to live in this town?
Okay, this post has been a bit cathartic for me. People keep asking me what's doing with our move & I say I don't know yet. They pry, thinking I just don't want to share. No, I'm not being reticent. I. Don't. Know. Leave me alone & stop asking!