PDA

View Full Version : We just had an earthquake!

MontrealMum
06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
The whole house shook, then the stove continued to shake - in a somewhat scary manner - for quite some time! At first I thought it was going to explode!!! I didn't realize what it was at first because the neighbors are having their bricks worked on and I just assumed it was someone on our roof. DH called just as the quake started and told me that he's glad he can still make the earth move for me on our anniversary.

wendibird22
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Glad you are ok.

I'm in Rochester NY and I just felt my house shake too and I thought I was crazy. Maybe I felt it all the way down here!

wendibird22
06-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Wasn't crazy. Here's the news story:
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Earthquake-in-Northern-N-Y-Shakes-Rochester/oSugJ1Qfd0Oma7fueeJ27Q.cspx

MontrealMum
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting the story. Some of my FB friends in Toronto were reporting it too, which is pretty far from us - as are you!

wendibird22
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I live right next to train tracks so at first I thought it was the train but no train in sight plus the train never shakes our house like that. I experienced a small quake once while visiting in CA and it felt just like that so I knew it had to be a quake.

Just felt another shake (2pm est).

Of course my dog is fast asleep...aren't animals supposed to sense this kind of thing???

mommylamb
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm glad everyone is ok and that your stove didn't explode. That would have scared the sh*t out of me.

MontrealMum
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
We get quakes so rarely here, even though we're on a major fault line, that I never know what to do or what it is. Our kitchen floor is quite uneven (old house) so when the stove was shaking at first I thought it was possessed - or ready to explode. Mind you, it's electric not gas, but I don't always thing too clearly. I thought animals were supposed to sense all sorts of weather oddities, but maybe they have to be used to it too?

jjordan
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Us too! We're about 1.5 hours south of Rochester NY.

TwinFoxes
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
DH called just as the quake started and told me that he's glad he can still make the earth move for me on our anniversary.

Awwww! :love5: Happy anniversary, and glad all is well there. :)

MontrealMum
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks :) and glad everyone's OK! They said it was 5.5 on the Weather Channel just now.

wendibird22
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Huh, our local news is saying 2.8 mag along the US/Ontario boarder near Cornwall. :shrug: I would think it would have to be stronger than 2.8 for it to be felt from Cleveland to NY???

ETA: Another news outlet here is also saying 5.5.

liamsmom
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow! I'm in Albany and felt nothing. Off to watch the news and find out if it came this far East.

DH called just as the quake started and told me that he's glad he can still make the earth move for me on our anniversary. :hysterical:

Happy Anniversary!

bubbaray
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Wow! Well, congrats to your DH on making the earth move just for you, LOL!

Andi98989
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Lots of people all over Michigan felt it

5.5 magnitude earthquake confirmed on Quebec / Ontario border. It seems that's what many people in West MI felt. http://ow.ly/22meq

mikeys_mom
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm in Toronto and we felt it. I was at work, on the 8th floor and everything was shaking like crazy! First we thought it was from some construction going on across the street but then the windows were rattling and the fire alarm went off. We are currently evacuated. So scary!!

DH is downtown, on 52nd floor and he felt it too.

wendibird22
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Funny thing is I was sitting at my kitchen table pumping (my girls are at daycare today) and I also have a load of wash in so I thought maybe I was just imagining it and that my pump was going a bit wonky!

MontrealMum
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
That would be some wonky pump :D I'd imagine it'd be doubly scary to feel in TO with the G8 still going on.

A friend of mine just tweeted this: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/ which shows that it's just south of Maniwaki (slightly north of Ottawa). So I think that explains how we all felt it. So odd to think that it was strong enough for me to feel it here, and for my parents in West MI to feel it as well!?!

And here I thought I was just getting gourmet cupcakes for my anniversary!

scrooks
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
My DH works in Cleveland and felt it. He called me immediately.
We live further south in the Akron area and apparently it could be felt just a few miles south of us but I was in the shower and didn't notice anything....

arivecchi
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Happy anniversary! Glad everyone is well!

ThreeofUs
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
DH called just as the quake started and told me that he's glad he can still make the earth move for me on our anniversary.

:ROTFLMAO:

That's fantastic!!

And being in any earthquake is unsettling. :hug: We didn't feel it here (that I know of) but I'll ask around.

mikeys_mom
06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I'd imagine it'd be doubly scary to feel in TO with the G8 still going on.

When we were standing around outside, we thought maybe it was related to some terrorist activity because of the G8.

DH is downtown, right near where the G8 is happening. They have been watching the helicopters do practice runs all week and there was a lot of helicopter activity right before the earthquake, so at first they thought that's what it was. After a few seconds it was clear that this was not a helicopter noise... Interestingly, his building which is a high-rise, did not shake as much as mine, which is just a smaller 8 story building, closer to mid-town area.

rlu
06-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Interestingly, his building which is a high-rise, did not shake as much as mine, which is just a smaller 8 story building, closer to mid-town area.

I wonder if your building is on rollers - here in California many of the building are put on rollers so we rock and roll a lot during quakes.

Glad to hear everyone is ok. 5.5 is a pretty decent sized earthquake.

KHF
06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
A lot of people in my building felt it in downtown Cincinnati...I didn't. It seems to be the people on the east side of the building that felt it. Weird.

Too funny about your DH making the earth move on your anniversary though :)

HIU8
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Just spoke with MIL who is 1 hr from Cleveland near the PA line. She felt nothing.

moosemama
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I felt it too (Niagara area). Crazy! My computer monitor was shaking!

jjordan
06-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Here's (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010xwa7/us/index.html) a neat website about it. (Someone on another message board posted it and I'm re-posting here. :))

mom2binsd
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
My family is in Ottawa, my brother thought a really big truck was coming through his house, and considering the corner they live on it would have been scary to have any type of truck coming at them.

I remember one that big in Ottawa about 25 years ago, there's a pretty big fault line just north of Ottawa.

SpaceGal
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I felt it and I'm in Central NY...I thought wow those kids are really jumping around on the playground then I realize wait I'm not standing on the playground, I'm standing on the ground and it's MOVING!! The lady I was talking to didn't seem to notice so I thought maybe I was just noticing something weird. Later a friend that happens to work at the park told me that it was an earthquake and if I felt it.

Crazy stuff.

DrSally
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I heard about that! I'm glad you're ok. I just heard the same from a friend at Syracuse.

ha98ed14
06-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Molly, I missed your first earthquake post!!! :crying: Late to the party, but very happy you are all ok! Sending you hugs from EQ Central!

Fairy
06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Whoa! Just seeing this! Sorry you had to have that ... but congrats on having experienced that! Glad you all are ok!