PDA

View Full Version : NB carrier: take 2

swissair81
06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I know I posted a thread about this already, but I realized I forgot specifications.
I need a carrier that is friendly to:

A tall mom with a bad back
A possible reflux baby who will not be able to lie down (I've already had 3)
An August due date
3 kiddos to run after
Probably will not be 8 lbs for a while

Anyone?

TwoBees
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I think the Beco Butterfly or the Pikkolo might work for you. The Beco can be used for infants because of the special insert. I am not sure about the minimum weight for the Pikkolo but I *think* it can be used for infants as well.I have only tried the Beco myself, and it did not work for us for two reasons: 1) I am quite short and I felt that DD's head would always be hitting my chin because my torso is not long enough, and 2) more importantly, DD hated to be strapped in to the safety pannel (she likes freedom). So for our particular situation it was not right, although it is a very nice carrier! But for you I think it would be great. You are tall, so no issue there, and it has great support.

I have not personally tried the Pikkolo but am recommending it from hearing so many great things about it here. If I get another carrier in the future, I will probably try the Pikkolo.

FWIW, any baby carrier will be hot during the summer.

As a side note, I discovered that the Scootababy hip carrier works well for us, because DD feels more "free" and loves to be carried on my hip. However, the Scootababy is not suitable for babies without excellent head control. Maybe an idea for later though. I find it is less hot than the Beco because there is less material and less of DD's body in direct contact with mine (eg, she is on the side rather than spread-eagle on my chest).

HTH!

TwoBees
06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Ahh. I just found your first post about this and saw that you already have a pikkolo. Is there a way to make it work for a newborn?

lizzywednesday
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I love my Ergo, though the infant insert is waaaay too bulky & hot for summer, so I also use an EllaRoo wrap ... and am eyeing a GypsyMama Bali Breeze because its fabric is supposed to be lighter weight than my EllaRoo.

Online at GypsyMama, they've got a collection of videos that show options for carries; maybe one could work for a reflux baby:

http://www.gypsymama.com/beginner.htm

GonnaBeNana
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Ahh. I just found your first post about this and saw that you already have a pikkolo. Is there a way to make it work for a newborn?

In reading about the Pikkolo, it DOES work for a newborn right? Isn't it for 7 to 40lbs?

Beth

hobie
06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I would also say a wrapsody wrap. Also check out www.thebabywearer.com Special Needs forum for more help.

rebwal98
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
You can also check out an Olives & Applesauce, the new ones have an infant insert standard.

Rebekah

TwoBees
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
In reading about the Pikkolo, it DOES work for a newborn right? Isn't it for 7 to 40lbs?

Beth

I couldn't find any info on weights on www.catbirdbaby.com, but they do describe how to do a newborn carry. Quirkybaby.com says:
Suitable for babies from 8 to 40 pounds.
http://quirkybaby.com/category_74/Pikkolo-Baby-Carrier.html

swissair81
06-24-2010, 02:57 PM
See that's the problem. It will be at least 4-6 weeks until we hit 8 lbs. Mine are usually around 5ish lbs.

I like the concept of the Baby K'tan- a wrap without having to wrap anything. Does the concept work well?

TwoBees
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
See that's the problem. It will be at least 4-6 weeks until we hit 8 lbs. Mine are usually around 5ish lbs.

I like the concept of the Baby K'tan- a wrap without having to wrap anything. Does the concept work well?

I hated the K'tan. It was either too tight and I couldn't get DD in, or it was too loose. I tried two sizes,and this was when Dd was 5-6 lbs. I prefered the Moby because I could adjust it as needed. I wish I had gotten it from the get-go.

lizzywednesday
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I couldn't find any info on weights on www.catbirdbaby.com, but they do describe how to do a newborn carry. Quirkybaby.com says:
Suitable for babies from 8 to 40 pounds.
http://quirkybaby.com/category_74/Pikkolo-Baby-Carrier.html

Jane from Quirkybaby is a great resource, BTW. She has a survey at the site that can help you find your best bets, too.

FWIW, she's got very strong opinions about what carriers work best for which babies, which is a good thing in many respects.