PDA

View Full Version : S/O Does your DC go by their full first name or a nickname at school?

alien_host
06-23-2010, 04:16 PM
The "regretful name" post had me thinking...does your child go by their full first name (i.e. David) or a shortened or nickname version (i.e. Dave)?

We never call DD by her full first name, unless I'm really trying to get her attention. In preschool the teacher always called her by it b/c that's what was on her registration paperwork. She starts Kinder in the fall, and I'm wondering if she should go by the longer full name or or a shortened version.

What has been your experience and please note if it was for preschool, daycare or elementary etc...not sure if it make a difference at all.

Ceepa
06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Kindergarten is probably old enough for your DD to choose what name she wants to use. DC1 likes to go by the full version outside of the house and the shortened version at home. LOL

HIU8
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
DS has gone by a nickname since the day he was born. We knew in naming him that we were going to be using his nickname as his primary name. He was named for my grandfather who always went by a nickname except for on legal documents. He does not answer to his given first name (b/c we have never used it). He does know what it is and will tell people though.

MichelleRC
06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Both my boys go by the very common nicknames of their full names. Always. The only place we hear their given names is the doctor's office!

infocrazy
06-23-2010, 04:28 PM
We call DS1 by both his nn and full name although the nn wins out. I always register him as full name for anything and leave nn blank. In PS, he preferred full name, until he started writing it, then he switched to nn because it is shorter with easier letters :). He always introduces himself as full name.

DS2 is almost always called nn, but I registered him as full name for fall PS. We'll see what happens.

gatorsmom
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
We've always called Gator by his full name and that is what he goes by at school. We've always called Cha cha by his nickname and that is what he goes by at school. Sisi's real name is Siena but we've always called her Sisi. However, I think she should really learn her full name for safety's sake. She needs to know her name and it's hard to tell what it is when we call her Sisi. So, when she starts school, we'll have to start to ease her out of Sisi or just teach her to write her full name.

KpbS
06-23-2010, 04:36 PM
DS has gone by a nickname since the day he was born. We knew in naming him that we were going to be using his nickname as his primary name.

:yeahthat:
I named both DS with formal names but never wanted to have them called by those. I love the nicknames (and the DC!) but not the formal names as much and DH's parents and spouses are the only ones who ever use the long form. I really doubt they will be called by their given names as children but perhaps as adults in a professional setting if they chose.

HIU8
06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Wow, Siena is a pretty name. Just had to say.

pinay
06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
DD is only 3, but we've called her by her nickname since the very beginning. She knows that she has a "different" name that other people sometimes call her, but she doesn't really recognize it. I think she's finally at a point where she can understand that she has 2 names that she can go by, so we're starting to work on it.

infomama
06-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Yep. Dd1 sometimes corrects people when they shorten her name.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
The "regretful name" post had me thinking...does your child go by their full first name (i.e. David) or a shortened or nickname version (i.e. Dave)?

Nickname version, like that. There was one teacher once that would only call him by the full name but it was a short session (camp??) so I didn't correct her. But, ds1 has been through preschool, k, plenty of camps and classes and he always goes by the shorter form of his name.

BEth

rlu
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Kindergarten is probably old enough for your DD to choose what name she wants to use. DC1 likes to go by the full version outside of the house and the shortened version at home. LOL

This. DS went by his nn in preschool and pre-k but when he started K he decided to use his full name. When people ask him his name he usually replies with his full name instead of nn now.

I used my nickname throughout school until middleschool - it was easier to go with the full name than correct all those teachers each year. I use my full name professionally.

StantonHyde
06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
We purposely picked names that had good nicknames and long names. They go by their nns generally--long names when they are in trouble. :love-retry:

I went through school and even up through grad school as Becky. When I hit the job market I changed to Rebecca. There are still times when I feel like an imposter!!! :tongue5:

Gena
06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
DS's first name has several shortened forms/nicknames. We use one particular nickname most of the time, although we occassionally use others and his full name (not just when he's in trouble). DS identifies with all the various forms of his name, but prefers the one we use most of the time. His teachers and therpists call him this nickname too.

Our school district has apolicy that because the IEP is a legal document, it is supposed to refer to the child by his/her legal name. So they always try to remember to write all the descriptions and goals using DS's full first name. After about 5 pages or so, somebody forgets and starts writing his nickname and it stays that way through the rest of the document.

crl
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Mostly full first name but this year, kindergarten, he started occasionally using the common nickname. That's fine with me. It's his name, yk?

Catherine

swissair81
06-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Both my girls are registered in school by their nicknames.

mommyp
06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
One of the things we like about DD's name is that there is no nickname for it. So she's only called by one name. Both DH and I have long names that we use for official things but are usually called by our nicknames by choice. My parents always used the nickname with me so when I started school I didn't answer to my long name, apparently I didn't know it was me!

pb&j
06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Both of my kids go by their first full names, but they have nicknames for first names. :)

kristenk
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM
We've used a nickname for DD since birth. She went by her nickname at preschool and kindergarten. I think both schools had a space on the registration form where you could fill in a "goes by" name. Everything that was labeled by the teachers for DD at preschool and kindergarten was labeled with her nickname.

She started a summer camp through the school district last week and the teacher called out her full first name. We just told the teacher that DD goes by her nickname.