PDA

View Full Version : Jersey/modal skirts

HonoluluMom
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Most of my maternity clothes were jersey or modal and I loved it - comfortable and they didn't need to be dry cleaned.

Anyway, to save money, I've been staying away from my dry clean only suits. I'm looking to buy jersey or modal skirts. I work in a professional environment, so the skirts need to be simple knee-length skirts in black, brown or navy.

Any suggestions where I can look on-line.

TIA!

lizzywednesday
06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Athleta.

I just got this skirt in Espresso:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=739418002&userSearchText=bodega+skirt&searchCID=44995

It's a great shape for me, although I do admit it's snug at the hips right now; I ordered the wrong size for my current body. It'll be perfect after I lose a couple inches.

My only gripe is the $54 pricetag!

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Or you could just hop over to ON online if the $54 is not what you want to pay and buy this for about $15:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55402&vid=1&pid=730581&scid=730581002

I do like the Athleta one. My friend wears it and it looks great. Just not sure it looks that much better than my ON ones. Maybe buy both and report back. :) One checkout. :)

Beth

DrSally
06-23-2010, 09:23 PM
The ON skirts are supposed to be great for pregnant women. Target also carries a version.

ett
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
I prefer the ON ones over the Target ones. The Target skirt seemed to bulge out in the back for me.

sunnyside
06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I have the Target Merona ones in 5 colors (eggplant, turquoise, black, brown, and grey). They're so inexpensive and fit great and are an awesome staple.

lizzywednesday
06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I prefer the ON ones over the Target ones. The Target skirt seemed to bulge out in the back for me.

Yeah, I bought a foldover skirt from Target last year & it was cut too straight, though it was definitely belly-friendly!

Have they changed the cut this year?

And the Athleta skirt I linked isn't a foldover; it's got neat gathers at the waistline & gored panels. IDK if that's clear from the photos.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know compared to last yr, since I only just discovered them, but the Target skirts seem ver A-line to me.

robinsmommy
06-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Lands' End has a nice fold-over modal skirt. Costs a little more, but they have lots of sales:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/CottonModalFoldoverKneelengthSkirt~193385_59.html? bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CHE&CM_MERCH=search-_-modal+skirt&origin=search

And they have black, brown and navy....

boolady
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Or you could just hop over to ON online if the $54 is not what you want to pay and buy this for about $15:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55402&vid=1&pid=730581&scid=730581002

:yeahthat: I have 3 of these that I got last year based on recommendations here. Love them, and after seeing how many color options they currently have, may order a few more.

ETA: ON is 30% off entire website and entire in store stock right now.

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I have the Target Merona ones in 5 colors (eggplant, turquoise, black, brown, and grey). They're so inexpensive and fit great and are an awesome staple.

I just picked one of these up the other day (I forgot about it). I do like it. Like Sally said, it is more a-line. I like how it holds it's shape so far.

Beth

Melaine
06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
My ON ones have worn badly....just gotten really picked up. I have worn them a good bit, but I'm a little disappointed in the wear on them.

lizzywednesday
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Lands' End has a nice fold-over modal skirt. Costs a little more, but they have lots of sales:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/CottonModalFoldoverKneelengthSkirt~193385_59.html? bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CHE&CM_MERCH=search-_-modal+skirt&origin=search

And they have black, brown and navy....

LE is running free shipping & 40% off a lot of its stuff through tonight. I think it expires at like 11:59 Central time.

HonoluluMom
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
LE is running free shipping & 40% off a lot of its stuff through tonight. I think it expires at like 11:59 Central time.

I looked at the LE skirts and they aren't part of the sale :cry:

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Not sure if the ON skirts are professional enough for my work, but they sure look perfect for weekends. I think ON has 30% off everything, so it may be worth it to drive to ON to check them out.

I've seen the Target skirts before IRL and I really like them, but they NEVER have my size. I hate paying for shipping, so I may just have to wait until they have my size.

DrSally
06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I've seen the LE ones IRL. They look nice, but they do look longer. So, you may have to fold over more to get above the knee, if that's what you want. Also, I've seen the light brown skirt on clearance at ON (9.99?), but in very limited sizes.

sadie427
06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
The Old Navy ones are pretty thin, I wouldn't wear them to work. OK for the weekend, but not as versatile as you'd think (don't look great with a lot of tops IMO.)

turtle12
06-26-2010, 05:44 AM
if you wear it for work, what kind of top would you wear to go with...i like these skirts!

infomama
06-26-2010, 07:42 AM
love the Target Merona ones....

DrSally
06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I think the key is to wear something fairly fitted on the top, so it doesn't look too "sloppy".

MizMojoLaveau
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I agree with the PP that the ON ones don't wear very well. I happen to be wearing one now and it is very picked/pilled and I probably should trash it. But they are VERY comfprtable. I have had mine one year and it did get lots of wear last summer. Despite the wash wear (I washed it on cold and hung to dry) I would consider buying another one on sale. I think if you get the ON ones only plan on them lasting one season.

MichelleRC
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I have the Merona one one today with a fitted tee and flip flops. It is really comfortable. I like the ON ones too, but my black one from last year got pretty pilled. I just wear it as a knock-around skirt and it is great for that.