PDA

View Full Version : So I am wondering if my water broke....

LD92599
06-23-2010, 08:49 PM
As of this am I was 1cm. Not leaking ( ob said she saw muceous.)

However more so this afternoon wetness down there. I am trying to gauge this after changing pants once already! I don't want to jump the gun (especially because I'd need to call someone for ds)!

My water never broke with ds which is also why I am questioning myself! Baby is also moving a lot !

DrSally
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I would call and the OB can determine that for you.

swissair81
06-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Put in a clean pad and walk around a bit. If your water broke, it will be wet again. If it was stress incontinence, it probably won't be. You could also smell your underwear (sorry) and determine if it smells like ammonia (urine) or sweet (A.F.). The OB can't actually determine water breakage without making you come in & using nitrazine paper. They usually recommend both of my suggestions before trekking in.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
That's a tricky one! Lay down for about 15 minutes and stand up, see if you get more fluid. Mine broke with ds1. I felt something weird inside and it woke me up. As I walked to the bathroom I felt leaking and was wondering how that could happen b/c I never, ever leaked urine during pg. I was walking back to dh to discuss it. As I was standing there it broke in a huge gush, like a water balloon exploding. :)

Very best of luck!!! KUP!

Beth

Beth24
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
My water has broken with all three of my other pregnancies and it has always been more than wetness of the underwear. I am due 3 days after you and have noticed increased wetness and discharge over the last week. I am also 1 cm dilated. So I guess what I am saying is that it doesn't sound like it, but definitely worth a call to your doctor if you aren't sure. Good luck and maybe we will deliver on the same day!

Uno-Mom
06-23-2010, 10:13 PM
OK, this will be gross, so sorry in advance...

I did the pad advice and was very glad I did because it captured the fluid. I was able to show it to the midwife (gross, sorry) and she confirmed that it was meconium.

But for me it was very obvious that my water had broken. Pop! Like in the cheesy sitcoms. Good luck!

tmahanes
06-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Mine just leaked a little like that.... the nurse in the OB ER had to call my OB because she wasn't even sure... Once he looked at me he was like YEP it broke.... no cx or anything!!

Momof3Labs
06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
With DS1, it took me a good hour to determine for sure that my water had broken. It was 4am, I didn't want to wake anyone unnecessarily, and I wasn't having contractions anyways.

With DS2, there was little doubt about it...

If you just had a pelvic exam, it could be some extra discharge from your plug. Or it could be that your water broke.

Let us know what happens!!

DrSally
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Mine just leaked a little like that.... the nurse in the OB ER had to call my OB because she wasn't even sure... Once he looked at me he was like YEP it broke.... no cx or anything!!

Interesting he could tell just by looking at you! I've know women with just a trickle that was hard to tell, turned out they were leaking amniotic fluid. With DD, it was running down my legs and soaking my underwear. The OB oncall said, just come to the hospital, no need for testing. I wasn't having contractions, so I had to be induced. I also hadn't had my strep test, so I had to have antibiotics.

swrc00
06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
My water broke with DS. I went to the bathroom and noticed I was bleeding. When I went to stand up, I heard something pop, and then a gush of water came out. Every time I stood up until I got an epidural hours later I would gush out water. I never had a trickle.

DebbieJ
06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
With DS1, it took me a good hour to determine for sure that my water had broken. It was 4am, I didn't want to wake anyone unnecessarily, and I wasn't having contractions anyways.

With DS2, there was little doubt about it...

If you just had a pelvic exam, it could be some extra discharge from your plug. Or it could be that your water broke.

Let us know what happens!!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Momof3Labs
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

DS2 now loves the story about how he/I christened the Hot Wheels aisle at the TP Target on his birth day.

LD92599
06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
nothing new and dry 2 hours later after a movie! off to bed!

DrSally
06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Good news!

fortato
06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
DS2 now loves the story about how he/I christened the Hot Wheels aisle at the TP Target on his birth day.

This is why I didn't want to go to Target after my last visit with the midwives. I was terrified that my water would break in Target- I go there often enough, that they would remember me the next time I came in as the lady who let loose in the cosmetics aisles.

My water broke with Jack, and there was no mistaking what happened- and I had peed my pants enough to know that it certainly was NOT pee.

tmahanes
06-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Interesting he could tell just by looking at you! I've know women with just a trickle that was hard to tell, turned out they were leaking amniotic fluid. With DD, it was running down my legs and soaking my underwear. The OB oncall said, just come to the hospital, no need for testing. I wasn't having contractions, so I had to be induced. I also hadn't had my strep test, so I had to have antibiotics.

It was really strange I got up to pee and was getting back in bed and leaned over and though "seriously did I just pee my pants.... I just peed!! Then it hit me... HOLY S*IT what if my water just broke?????? So I was went and stood in the tub trying to decide if it was AF or pee!!!!!!!! :hysterical: I can only imagine what I looked like! When I woke DH up I thought he was going to have a heart attack!! :rotflmao:

I had to go to the hospital because it was 3am. It was only leaking a little... like through a washcloth (hadn't gotten pads yet because it was 3 1/2 weeks early!) and a little on my pants during the 15 minutes to the hospital. The nurse did the chemical test... not sure what its called and thought it had broken. He did a pelvic and said yep it had broken, I guess because there was fluid in there :shrug: I didn't start contracting and had to also be induced. I had taken the GBS test that am so obviously the results were not back yet so we got antibiotics also.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 09:54 AM

They use special paper that changes color in the presence of amniotic fluid. Unless it broke high up, that should be able to tell them.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
This is why I didn't want to go to Target after my last visit with the midwives. I was terrified that my water would break in Target- I go there often enough, that they would remember me the next time I came in as the lady who let loose in the cosmetics aisles.

My water broke with Jack, and there was no mistaking what happened- and I had peed my pants enough to know that it certainly was NOT pee.

When I started bleeding this pregnancy at 10 weeks, I thought I had peed myself until I got to the bathroom & realized I was hemorrhaging.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
The nurse did the chemical test... not sure what its called and thought it had broken.

nitrazine paper http://www.stpetes.org/html/pointofcare/Procedures/pH%20paper.html

luckytwenty
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
My gushed--it was very obvious. But I remember in the childbirth class that they said it had a distinct "earthy" odor. DH was asking me, "Does it smell earthy?" And I said, "I have no idea what earthy is supposed to smell like!!" :-P

PearlsMom
06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I was supposed to have lunch today with a friend who's 32 1/2 weeks along (and I'm 39 weeks). Well, last night she felt a trickle was pretty sure it wasn't pee, but the volume was small enough that by the time she got to the hospital (the L&D nurses told her to come in anyway), they asked if maybe she was just sweaty?! She felt kind of silly being in the hospital. But they tested the damp underwear, and sure enough it was amniotic fluid. Thankfully it's a slow leak, so they're giving her antibiotics and steroid shots for the baby's lungs, and are hoping to keep her on hospital bed rest for another 3 weeks or so to give the baby time to develop. Her doctor wouldn't even let her leave to pack up some clothes and toiletries because the infection risk is so high.

So...I guess I learned that a leak doesn't have to be high volume to be real and serious. And it doesn't mean that you'll be having the baby right away, either. I'm glad OP seems to have resolved her issue, but the best advice for other mamas out there wondering the same thing: get it checked out.

newg
06-24-2010, 01:52 PM
My water broke while I was sleeping........I woke up thinking I had peed (and cursing at the same time at this new "perk" of being pregnant)...it was actually DH that told me to go sit on the toilet while he called the doc 'cause he was pretty sure my water had broken...........turned out he was right, and he doesn't let me forget it!! :rolleye0014:

LD92599
06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I ended up calling the answering service tonight and spoke w/ the Dr. She doesn't think it's fluid because it's not literally dripping down my legs and shouldn't have any odor either. She told me to come into the office in the AM to get checked for piece of mind, so i'll do that, esp since we're heading into the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback!

DrSally
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I ended up calling the answering service tonight and spoke w/ the Dr. She doesn't think it's fluid because it's not literally dripping down my legs and shouldn't have any odor either. She told me to come into the office in the AM to get checked for piece of mind, so i'll do that, esp since we're heading into the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm, I know women who have just had a trickle and it was a leak (and still needed to be monitored for infection. It's actually not usual for it to be gushing.

gatorsmom
06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, I know women who have just had a trickle and it was a leak (and still needed to be monitored for infection. It's actually not usual for it to be gushing.

:yeahthat: One time when I was pregnant and was finishing up an OB visit and the doc was just about to leave the room, I casually mentioned I'd had some wetness downt there that I was sure wasn't urine. He stopped with the niceties, started putting on gloves, and immediately shifted into "get serious" mode. He said he was glad I mentioned it (I didn't think it was even worth mentioning and almost didn't say anything) and that he needed to do a check to make sure I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid. He took it VERY seriously.

If you have the slightest wetness down there, I think you should find out exactly what it is. It's not worth blowing it off when it can be checked so easily. jmho.

fortato
06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
When I started bleeding this pregnancy at 10 weeks, I thought I had peed myself until I got to the bathroom & realized I was hemorrhaging.

That's what happened to me at 12 weeks when I was pregnant with Jack.

soontobe
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
My gushed--it was very obvious. But I remember in the childbirth class that they said it had a distinct "earthy" odor. DH was asking me, "Does it smell earthy?" And I said, "I have no idea what earthy is supposed to smell like!!" :-P

OMG that is so something my DH would say. I love it-trying so hard to be helpful, but so not lol:rotflmao::hysterical::rotflmao::hysterical:

swissair81
06-25-2010, 11:05 AM
That's what happened to me at 12 weeks when I was pregnant with Jack.

Did you also have a SCH? I was on bedrest forever. Now that I'm off it & it looks like I might even go to term (woo-hoo!), I can't move. I'm not complaining though. I'd far prefer to be uncomfortable for longer to a preemie.

LD92599
06-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Went to the dr....i'm in the clear. At least for now! I can relax a little for the weekend i suppose!

PearlsMom
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Went to the dr....i'm in the clear. At least for now! I can relax a little for the weekend i suppose!

Awesome news! So glad it all checked out and now you can really enjoy the weekedn!

DrSally
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Great news!

fumofu
06-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Yay for good news. Enjoy your weekend. :)