PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old Afraid of things

scrooks
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this is normal....I took DD to gymnastics class tonight for the second time (first night in this class..we switched from no parents to mommy and me). She was afraid of EVERYTHING. All the other kids seemed so excited about the obstacle course and jumping on the trampoline and she kept saying she was scared. The only things she did willingly were jump in the foam pit and walk on the little balance beam. I jumped on one of the trampolines with her and she screamed at first but then was ok if I held her.

Usually if you let her, in her own time, she will try something, but it takes awhile. I worry because I was a lot like this as a child and this is one of my traits I hoped my kids wouldn't pick up.

Would you make her try things? I don't want to force her but at the same time occasionally if you make her she will then really like it....

Anyone else have a child like this? I am just nervous for this fall when I try to leave her at preschool for the first time....

jent
06-23-2010, 09:51 PM
My DD is 3 and afraid of a lot of things. I think part of it is her age and part of it is her personality. My personality is like this too, so I just assumed DD got it from me and I don't think it is something you can change.

Usually I would let her warm up to things, and only push her if she really seems close to doing it. I think the mommy & me type class is great b/c you can do it along with her, hold her hands, or carry her for some things. I would stick with it and I bet you would find that over time she becomes a little braver as she gets used to it. Also, some days she'll probably be braver than others.

I think it's pretty impressive she jumped in the pit! That was one thing that was hard for DD & some of the other kids at first.