PDA

View Full Version : quick ?: dayquil

brgnmom
06-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I've come down with a cold with nasal congestion, and I'm wondering if you know whether dayquil is safe to take during the second trimester. I'd take tylenol, but we're out of this. TIA!

Fairy
06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I got sick while pregnant and wouldn't take anyhting, and finally my OB made me take Robitussin. I can't speak for what is and is not safe these days, it's been five years. However, do a search here for list of safe drugs while pregnant, or google it. Wish I could help.

Momof3Labs
06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Nope, not unless your doctor says it is okay. Plain robitussin, plain sudafed, plain mucinex are all fine, as I recall.

GonnaBeNana
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Generally not, unless your OB says it's OK. It contains a decongestant, which isn't recommended during pregnancy.

Beth

sunnyside
06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Does your doctor let you call with questions? I generally always ask those kinds of questions directly to my OBs office just in case.

I'm sorry you are sick. Being pregnant and sick is a drag. I have a bit of a cold myself right now and I'm just days away from my due date. I didn't take anything, and have just been eating healthy. My cold seems to be going away, I hope yours will too.

newg
06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
You could probably call the pharmacy too.......they're usually pretty good about what's safe to take while pregnant.

brgnmom
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I ended up taking one dose of Dayquil last night b/c I was pretty desperate for nasal congestion relief. I was having a hard time breathing while laying down.

I would call my OB's office, except right now I'm in the process of switching providers since we moved from MA to CA. I haven't met my new OB yet, not until early in July. I called my old OB's office and the nurse was nice enough to tell me that I can take Sudafed, Tylenol, and Benadryl.

Thank you all for your advice!

AnnieW625
06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I got a list from my dr. and regular and overnight Rubitussin were recommended. Early on though I think I did take some dayquil with DD1 and she was fine; this was in 2005 before they took the good stuff out of it too. My list also said that Claritin was okay. I also took Thera Flu with both pregnancies.

brgnmom
06-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Thank you, Annie, for your additional recommendation of Theraflu. fortunately, I'm feeling better and can breathe without feeling congested now. It was awful feeling guilty about taking dayquil. I took sudafed a couple of times which helped alleviate some of my symptoms.

Fairy
06-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Next time try the Mucinex, assuming you're allowed. I think it's the best stuff out there.

brgnmom
06-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Next time try the Mucinex, assuming you're allowed. I think it's the best stuff out there.

ooh I forgot about Mucinex -- I'll definitely ask about this when I meet my new OB next month. Thank you, Fairy! :)

Fairy
06-29-2010, 01:27 AM
They didn't have mucinex when I was pregnant. That i knew of, anyway. Wish I had! Sick while pregnant sucks. Glad you're feeling better!