PDA

View Full Version : more crib recalls

brittone2
06-24-2010, 07:46 AM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37893325/ns/today-today_health/

Evenflo, Delta Enterprises Corp., Child Craft, Jardine Enterprises, LaJobi, Million Dollar Baby and Simmons Juvenile Products Inc.

nak- some of the recalled cribs are fixed-side cribs, so I edited to change thread title to reflect that.

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks! I've been waiting for mine to be recalled and now it is. Not a surprise.

Beth

swrc00
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Mine is on the list too! Conversion kit ordered.

WolfpackMom
06-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Ours is too. I wish I could just return the crib, my sisters DS's crib was recalled and she was able to just get a total refund!

arivecchi
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
CPSC link:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10270.html

soontobe
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
this is insane! what crib can you actually buy anymore?!?!?

arivecchi
06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
A crib without a drop side! ;)

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Some of the recalls were for fixed sided ones. I don't know you are supposed to know safe anymore.

Beth

crl
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Some of the recalls were for fixed sided ones. I don't know you are supposed to know safe anymore.

Beth

True, but the fixed side ones were apparently a very small portion of the recall. It does seem that fixed side is a better bet.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
True, but the fixed side ones were apparently a very small portion of the recall. It does seem that fixed side is a better bet.

Catherine

I agree. Still, it makes you wonder.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Catherine

:yeahthat:

i had read about the possible dangers of drop-side in BabyBargains so we opted for a fixed-side (Munire). we are lucky though..we are both 5'6" and it's not that much of a problem to deal with. .don't know how very petite people manage with fixed side cribs...i'm 5'6" and sometimes it's literally a stretch to put DS in our crib (and we havent lowered the mattress yet!)

SnuggleBuggles
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Serial posting (sorry!)...at 5'2" I thought the drop side was necessary but it absolutely wasn't. The mattress height being adjustable was the only thing I needed. I liked the easy access at the higher height when the boys were tiny and getting up a lot. When they were older they got up less often and could sit or stand to help. It worked out better than I expected.

Beth

TonFirst
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, my daughter is asleep right now in our now-recalled Child Craft Legacy crib, F17731, manufactured in Indiana. I'm not very concerned, though - we bought the crib, it's properly assembled and has no missing or broken parts, and we tighten everything every few weeks.

I feel like - not entirely, but to a large degree - that crib safety is very much like carseat safety. *For the most part*, there is very little difference between a properly-installed and used Britax Boulevard and a properly-installed and used Cosco Scenera - and that ultimately, the onus for proper use and safety is entirely on the shoulders of the parents. And unfortunately, there are a lot of ignorant/ill-informed parents out there. Buying a used crib that's missing some screw is akin to buying a used infant carseat that's 8 years old and only has a 3-point harness and then using it for your 26-pound toddler, kwim? But a lot of parents simply don't know any better, and that ignorance leads to a lot of tragedies.

I would really like to see more detailed information on the cribs that were involved in tragic accidents. Were they properly-assembled? Were they used correctly? I know that's not a questions anyone wants to ask a parent whose child was killed or injured, but I feel like as a parent who tries to be ultra-conscientious about crib safety, I have a true need to know that information.

arivecchi
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
i had read about the possible dangers of drop-side in BabyBargains so we opted for a fixed-side (Munire).
Same here. Because of the book, we steered clear of drop side cribs and got stationary ones. We also did the shake test suggested by the book and bought two cribs that are beyond sturdy (as in you cannot shake them at all).

But wouldn't you know it, MIL goes out and buys a Jardine drop-side for our kids while they are at their house. The crib shakes entirely and you can just tell it is flimsy. I am pretty sure it is part of this recall and I am soooo glad because now I can just replace it with a decent crib or with our pack n play.

WolfpackMom
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=TonFirst;2766929]Well, my daughter is asleep right now in our now-recalled Child Craft Legacy crib, F17731, manufactured in Indiana. I'm not very concerned, though - we bought the crib, it's properly assembled and has no missing or broken parts, and we tighten everything every few weeks.
QUOTE]

Ours was recalled, but my DH screwed the sides on that thing so tight that I can put all of my weight ontop of it or pulling on the dropside and the thing does not move at all. I called in to Lajobi and our model # isnt coming up as recalled, but it definitely is according to the CPSC site. They need to update their system, I left a message to get the retrofit kit anyways. They say to allow 30 days, since our crub is so sturdily put together I am now contemplating letting him stay in or if we really need to use a pack n play until the kit arrives. Thoughts?

Neelloc
06-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Great. Ours is recalled too. I just checked it and I know it's screwed together properly but the repair kit won't arrive for 2-4 weeks.

We bought the drop side crib and honestly, I think I've lowered the drop side only a handful of times. I am 6' and my DH is 6' 4"....so it's never an issue for us to reach.

KHF
06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I think our Simmons crib is in this recall...we've had it since 2005 with DD and it's held up very well as we almost never use the drop side, but I think I'm going to use this as ammo with DH to get rid of it. I'll go ahead and order the kit and make the sides stationary so I can sell it in good conscience on Craigslist, but I think a trip to IKEA is in our future this weekend.

DS is 18 months, but still not ready for a bed. I'm going to get a Sniglar or a Gulliver from IKEA where the side can be removed to make it a toddler bed for future use.

swrc00
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=TonFirst;2766929]Well, my daughter is asleep right now in our now-recalled Child Craft Legacy crib, F17731, manufactured in Indiana. I'm not very concerned, though - we bought the crib, it's properly assembled and has no missing or broken parts, and we tighten everything every few weeks.
QUOTE]

Ours was recalled, but my DH screwed the sides on that thing so tight that I can put all of my weight ontop of it or pulling on the dropside and the thing does not move at all. I called in to Lajobi and our model # isnt coming up as recalled, but it definitely is according to the CPSC site. They need to update their system, I left a message to get the retrofit kit anyways. They say to allow 30 days, since our crub is so sturdily put together I am now contemplating letting him stay in or if we really need to use a pack n play until the kit arrives. Thoughts?

I have a Babi Italia Picket Fence Crib that was manufactured in 2002. They said to allow 2-4 weeks delivery for the kit. DS is almost 20 months. We will be keeping him the crib until the kit arrives. We have never used the drop side and keep that side of the crib against a wall. We also check to make sure it is sturdy and the screws are tightened frequently.

YouAreTheFocus
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know what the laws are regarding daycare centers and recalled cribs? Our center has drop-side portacribs, I don't know if they are recalled but given the state of things I would be surprised if they're not recalled. Not sure I should start nosing around and opening this can of worms....wwyd?